Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Old Macbook Pro's - Is Apple HW that fragile?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Macbook Pro's - Is Apple HW that fragile?
    Posted: 22 July 2020 at 9:14am
Mate has 2012 MBP I5, and OS stopped booting.

He gave it to mate to look at it, 2x days later, battery was duff, and machine wouldn't charge it.

I bought £130 MBP 2009, to aid with data recovery.

Tried putting my battery in mates laptop, it knackered it.
Then the process of swapping batteries between mates laptop and mine, caused my machine to stop Charing batteries.

I have Core2duo Dell laptops in loft, going back to 2010, and if I did the above, with them, know there would be no problem.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 11:11am

Because you are paying for a nice shiny expensive “unibody” alloy case and mediocre electronics!!

I have a 2010 mac mini here that I bought for a project I had years ago and it has been the biggest pile of useless unreliable &^%$ I have ever owned and has spent most of its life as an expensive paperweight!!

A lot of Mac users moan that PC hardware is crap and is unreliable, and yes some of the very cheap low end stuff is, however I still have every PC laptop I have purchases since 1998, and after a little maintenance every single one still runs just fine then plugged into its power adapter…. OK the batteries need replacing but my old Toshiba win 98 laptop is now 22years old and my old Compaq XP laptop now 18years old. My 10 year old Alienware (currently running Win 7) is still used as my primary playout machine.

BTW, I don’t hate apple products, what I do hate is all the BS that goes along with them.

Edited by APW - 22 July 2020 at 11:49am
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 11:25am
My partner bought MBP Core2Duo in 2009, new for £1K, 3x years later it refused to come on.
She then bought new i5 MBP in 2012, 8x years later that refused to boot, then refused to come on.

She had bought Asus i3 for her daughter in 2013, but daughter abandoned it 3x years later, due to it being malware ridden, even with McAfee installed.

After dilemma with he 2x MBPs, I told her to get Asus out the loft, I upgraded mem to 16gb, put on new install of W10 Pro (Had 8.1 on there so free upgrade), and she is now very happy, even with just 7200rpm HDD, not SSD.

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 12:14pm
Sat here writing this on a mid-2009 MBP. Only had two problems so far; one being a catastrophic HDD failure (about three years ago) and the other being the battery which, to be fair, lasted until this year. The HDD failure resulted in it being upgraded to a 500gb SDD and 8gb ram.
It still works perfectly for what I use it for and has a WinXP partition (solely for WinISD, HornResp etc) and a partition for trying different Linux flavours. It still flies, and in all the time I 've had it (from new) I can honestly say it's only crashed once (not including the HDD failure). I have never had a Win laptop that's lasted more than two or three years.

Anyway, batteries are a nightmare on Macs; some run at very slightly different voltages, some have different pin-outs on the flylead etc etc. So by getting one from a different model will invariably do damage. I know when I replaced my battery I had to make sure it was for my model, the one from a few months earlier and the one from a few months later would not fit and work. You can only be sure by making sure the 'A' number is correct in the model number. On an MBP it's shown on the base, near the rear in small writing. Mine's an A1278, btw.

Edit: Sorry Lev, just re-read that and it sounds like I'm teaching granny to suck eggs! Wasn't meant that way.

Edited by djeddie - 22 July 2020 at 12:23pm
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 12:53pm
Watch Luis Rossman on youtube and decide if you'd ever buy a macbook
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 1:11pm
I must say, MBPs from 2009, still look more modern than some 2015 onwards PC laptops.

Add to that the slick Gui with OS, you can't fail to be impressed, when the things work.

However, you can't install latest OS (without hackery), if you have really old Machine !?
Put SSD and 16gb in  old i5 PC laptop, and Windows 10 installs and very nippy.

Really wanted £140 MBP, to use just as tablet, but the hardware just seems so weak compared to PC laptops.
Ionkontrol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ionkontrol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 1:50pm
Typing this on a 2010 Macbook Pro. Apart from a SSD upgrade, all tickety-boo. Still going strong.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

Anyway, batteries are a nightmare on Macs; some run at very slightly different voltages, some have different pin-outs on the flylead etc etc. So by getting one from a different model will invariably do damage. I know when I replaced my battery I had to make sure it was for my model, the one from a few months earlier and the one from a few months later would not fit and work. You can only be sure by making sure the 'A' number is correct in the model number. On an MBP it's shown on the base, near the rear in small writing. Mine's an A1278, btw.

Just took another look at my el cheapo MBP, did a serial no search using:

https://everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup

And verified it is an A1278, even though 2009.

So my £120 MBP 2009, won't charge battery, won't come on even with mains attached.

Will take it to Mac repair dude, and if diagnosed fix is > £50... Ermm
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2020 at 5:01pm
May some dumb, but are the connector of the power lead and the port on the side of the MBP clean? Also, what's the condition of the cable near the connector plug? They're pretty fragile. Mine's still as good as the day I bought it... step-daughters 2012 MBP, however, has had to have me get the soldering iron out twice now.

There are loads of YouTube vids on charging faults on MBP's... best thing I found was not to just watch (and believe) just one, watch a few and you'll suss it. Like I said, apart from the HDD failure, I've never had to repair mine but have done repairs for family etc and YT was they way I did it.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 11:20am
Originally posted by djeddie djeddie wrote:

May some dumb, but are the connector of the power lead and the port on the side of the MBP clean? Also, what's the condition of the cable near the connector plug? They're pretty fragile. Mine's still as good as the day I bought it... step-daughters 2012 MBP, however, has had to have me get the soldering iron out twice now.

There are loads of YouTube vids on charging faults on MBP's... best thing I found was not to just watch (and believe) just one, watch a few and you'll suss it. Like I said, apart from the HDD failure, I've never had to repair mine but have done repairs for family etc and YT was they way I did it.

Done all that mate, was working fine, problems started when I started interchanging batteries with a problematic machine.

I did hear MBP logic boards are extremely sensitive to static, but I've been building PCs since '88, and never lost a board, or memory, or CPU to this.

Gonna have to bite bullet, and get machine repaired, as it does look good, when you pull out MBP on the train. LOL

Edited by levyte357- - 23 July 2020 at 11:20am
djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2020 at 6:13pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

...as it does look good, when you pull out MBP on the train. LOL

Bloody poser!!!LOL

But yep, static is a problem. I've always worn my earth strap for 'puter work.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2020 at 4:29am
I have a 2007 MacBook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.2. Battery life is useless...pretty much get about 45 mins if your lucky. Main problem has been the graphics chip but after I discovered the " cook your Macbook " trick it gets a visit to the oven about once a year and we're back up and running.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqjeKqWbTg4&ab_channel=Tuts%2BComputerSkills

Using it as my daughters home learning comp' and it works really well for all the online video stuff but as it's running OSX El Capitan way back I can't get Zoom installed on it....

Cost me $50 3 years ago.....

I have a Windows Surface Pro as my main device... wouldn't swap it for anything else....!

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>