Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD15 Measurements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2021 at 8:20pm
Hey Kalle,

We just used the original plans from this website and approximated the curve with 3 straight sections. There was no wadding inside the chamber and no other modifications.
If you want more HD15 drop me a message, we want to sell our 6 boxes unloaded for a relatively small amount of money ;)
Kalle76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalle76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 5:52pm
Thanks for your offer, but i have some on my own :D

But maybe someone else could explain me why my measurement of the HD15s looks like this...

I uses a Scarlett Solo in combination with the ECM8000 Mic. All my other measurements look quite normal so i assumed its the cabinets fault. I used 5 angled pieces to approximate the curvature and built in the pd.154

https://imgur.com/a/HdqJOZd - https://imgur.com/a/HdqJOZd

Edited by Kalle76 - 13 April 2021 at 5:59pm
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 6:07pm
How was your setup exactly? Outside/Inside?, walls, etc?
Kalle76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalle76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 7:30pm
I measured it in 2Pi free fiel outside but it was standing on my SBH. Could this make such a difference?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2021 at 9:58pm
Yes that probably is the cause of the dip around 140-200Hz.
Kalle76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalle76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2021 at 5:35pm
Ok thank you, a measurement on the ground made u huge difference.
But i mean if i cant use them on my SBHs they are virtually useless for me... what can i do to make them run properly in this case? Are there other cabins for a pd.154 that work better?
I thought of the BPH-238 maybe. 

Kalle76 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kalle76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 1:15pm
Hi again, i tried to measure them again a few times with different positionings but this dip at about 150Hz is still occuring. Maybe anyone of you could explain me that because i have no idea....
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2021 at 2:44pm
Are you measuring with the mic laying on the ground or do you have it somewhere above the ground? You should measure low frequencies with the mic on the ground so you dont get cancellations due to pathlength differences between the direct sound and the sound that gets reflected on the ground between your box and the microphone ;)
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 August 2022 at 9:44am
Thank you for the measurements. 
I have got 6x hd15 loaded with pd154. I’m going to build another couple of that, having a total of 8x hd15. 
This week I’m going to buy 6x Funktion one Evo6sh. They should be crossed at 220hz reading the website. 
I think it could be dangerous to cross them lower. I suppose to run the hd15 higher to couple better with those mid tops. 
How do this “honky effect” affect the sound? 
Do you think it is possible to play good sound with it or I should change enclosure? Even with horn coupling effect at higher frequency. 

I would update the thread when I complete all the new box. 
Thanks

Edited by Besa - 28 August 2022 at 9:52am
JulianDA View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JulianDA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 3:07pm
I would not advise to use HD15 above ~150Hz. But since you allready have some, why not try it out yourself, maybe it sounds okay to you :) 
We changed to our own design (there is a thread about it in the new projects forum) to allow us to use the kicks higher up and to gain a better impulse response (i.e. better "punch") by not using a resonant chamber for the lower frequencies.
Besa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Besa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 9:00pm
For sure I will try and decide. I will update the post as soon as I get the test. 
Another question:
Do you think it can be problematic getting those higher frequency in a horn kick bin? Not because it’s a horn but because e.g. some lower vocal frequency can be reproduced by the kick bin getting a bad coloration. 
teeth View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote teeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2022 at 11:54pm
yes i do think that.

kicks (and particularly horny ones) benefit from having a very precise band and deployment. the closer you get to doing low mids, the more you compromise their ability to do what they are best at

i guess it's the same reason that you miss out by getting them going too low too
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>