Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Projected finished , 18 inch J reflex

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 11:59am
Originally posted by Digbethdave Digbethdave wrote:

Shouldn't worry about the ply too much.
Id probably revisit the speakons though. 

What is wrong with the speakons ? 
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 1:03pm
A bit of heat shrink tube over the soldered ends would be a good idea to prevent potential shorting out in the future. But as long as the solder joints are strong and tidy i think you will be fine..

Reverence Sound system

odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 1:22pm
Yes, was about the say the same. The usual route is to solder all vertical and then heatshrink but your work looks pretty tidy and I don;t think you will have a problem.

However it is worth a nod to the worst case of one joint detatching under vibration/stress and contacting its neighbour while the amplifer is at full tilt. Expensive possibility for the sake of a bit of heatshrink.
jordanclarkdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by odc04r odc04r wrote:

Yes, was about the say the same. The usual route is to solder all vertical and then heatshrink but your work looks pretty tidy and I don;t think you will have a problem.

However it is worth a nod to the worst case of one joint detatching under vibration/stress and contacting its neighbour while the amplifer is at full tilt. Expensive possibility for the sake of a bit of heatshrink.

Yeah I never thought about that guys,  I will order some just now then. Do I need to put it over the actual solder onto the speakon and cover it all so you cant see it or just enough that it covers majority of it 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 3:21pm
Curious but what sort of value would these be worth if I was to buy them knew,  the drivers in them were £200 each, I reckon parts/material has cost me around £600   thats before 24hours labour and the tools I had to buy to do the job
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by jordanclarkdj jordanclarkdj wrote:

Yeah I never thought about that guys,  I will order some just now then. Do I need to put it over the actual solder onto the speakon and cover it all so you cant see it or just enough that it covers majority of it 

When done correctly the heatshrink will cover all of the exposed wire and terminal per wire. You'll need to unsolder, put heatshrink onto the wire, re-solder, slide it down then shrink it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 7:08pm

Originally posted by jordanclarkdj jordanclarkdj wrote:

When done correctly the heatshrink will cover all of the exposed wire and terminal per wire. You'll need to unsolder, put heatshrink onto the wire, re-solder, slide it down then shrink it.

would wrapping electrical tape around it do the same job rather than me having to un solder everything 
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 8:50pm
Electrical tape wont do the same job, generally after a year or so the adhesive goes soft and the tape looses its grip. Heatshrink will last forever.
That said, personally, over the course of 25 odd years and countless speaker cabs i have never used heatshrink in this way. Im not saying you should not, just that I'm confident in my soldering and have never suffered a joint failure or short. Your call.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
odc04r View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote odc04r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2020 at 10:38pm
Have to agree, this is true. Even from an early age where my soldering could be considered of dubious quality, have never had a solder joint detach. But heatsink is cheap, looks good to boot, and keeps any stray whiskers under control.

That said, if you're confident in your soldering just use them. There's very little chance of a problem. I'd make the changes if it was me but its your call.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 12:02pm
What do you mean with revise the speakons ?  the soldering on them was all fine I just never had any heatshrink to go around them 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123