Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Party on?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Party on?
    Posted: 31 July 2020 at 5:52pm
Hi, I’ve built my rig and would like to make some money from it now. I need to upgrade the drivers and can’t justify it until there’s money coming in.

I’m thinking of doing an outdoor event at a legit venue, country house with big lawns type thing, thus enabling social distancing etc.

I guess many of you guys are doing this now, to keep things ticking over?

Any tips?

Thanks again.

Hope this question isn’t lazy.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 7:47pm
LOL!!!
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 8:55pm
MY TIP:-  If you find a money making formula at present - keep it to yourself!!  LOL LOL LOL
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by bin juice24 bin juice24 wrote:

I’m thinking of doing an outdoor event at a legit venue, country house with big lawns type thing, thus enabling social distancing etc.

I guess many of you guys are doing this now, to keep things ticking over?

sorry for the lol earlier.... but:

You’re guess is incorrect, we are not ticking over at all, many people in the industry are on the point of bankruptcy or those like me who have another revenue stream have simply pulled the shutters down for the foreseeable future. I’ve had zero PA type work since early March.

…. Even when were not in the middle of a pandemic, to get any work in the type of venues you list above you have to be known to the venue or an established player, you will need Public and employers liability insurance, PAT certificates, you will also need to do a risk assessments and method statement as a minimum.…

Edited by APW - 31 July 2020 at 9:04pm
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 9:40pm
Hey, I have another business and am used to dealing with RAMS, public liability and a whole world of other stuff. We’ve policies on equality and diversity, training matrix, SSIP registered, have our own retained H and S consultant. In a nutshell, I’m aware of what’s involved in running a business. I know little about sound though.
We’re running at a third of what we did last year, both turnover and staff wise, just three on the tools and two in the office( both furloughed).

So, I’m looking to put a night on. Outside. Has anyone done this since lockdown, legitimately?
Cheers.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 10:04pm
The reason nobody is bothering is with such reduced capacity/restrictive licenses, there is no meat on the bone for said events to be profitable.

Give it a go by all means, but the few i know who have run things were by long established promoters with massive followings, doing very tame family style events. If you want to put on an event based on 'soundsystem' music, forget it. Never going to happen, not until clubs etc are open.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 10:05pm
also, i second 'lol'. Thinking you can build a soundsystem, then suddenly put on events with minimal experience is a tall order.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

LOL!!!

LOL

Binjuice it looks like Live nation are doing social distancing drive in gigs at racecourses.who knows if they will happen. Bet the insurance is fun. Have a look at their business model. Or maybe a suicide rig a,couple of bottles of nitrous oxide and remote field. 2nd option you won't have to upgrade your rig.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

LOL!!!

LOL

Binjuice it looks like Live nation are doing social distancing drive in gigs at racecourses.who knows if they will happen. Bet the insurance is fun. Have a look at their business model. Or maybe a suicide rig a,couple of bottles of nitrous oxide and remote field. 2nd option you won't have to upgrade your rig.

They have been cancled:
https://www.livenation.co.uk/utilitalivefromthedrivein
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 July 2020 at 11:49pm

Originally posted by KDW32 KDW32 wrote:

LOL!!!

LOL

They have been cancled:
https://www.livenation.co.uk/utilitalivefromthedrivein

What a surprise. Ouch
bin juice24 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bin juice24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 8:40am
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

also, i second 'lol'. Thinking you can build a soundsystem, then suddenly put on events with minimal experience is a tall order.

Right, I see it as a challenge then!😀
Got to have a positive’can do’ attitude these days.

I’ve found a venue that’s interested and checked the government guidelines. I’ll have to speak to the council too though.

Other than

Public liability 
RAMS
Managing Covid 
PAT testing

Is there anything else I should be considering?

Cheers!

If anyone would be generous to share their RAMS please
ole@solarpanelcleaningltd.co.uk

djeddie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djeddie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 8:48am
All it takes is an announcement, like the other day, where either local lockdowns are inroduced or cancelling of lockdown easements and your event is stuffed.

I've been watching one of the 'Dave-Double-Decks' forums and they thought that the 30 people wedding reception would at least mean background music, and therefore some income. But who is now going to book anything when it can be stopped with less than 24 hours notice? Nobody.
And it's the same thing for any event. Absolutely no point at the mo'. Making money from a rig at present is pretty much zero, IMHO.

There's people on this forum who've been making money from rigs for years. How many of them are now sat there with a lock-up full of quality (i.e. expensive) kit with no income from it? 10%? 50%? 99.9%? I know where I'd put my bet.
Chas n Dave : it's like Drum and Bass but with beards.             E=mc² ±3dB
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>