Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building with no help. Where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building with no help. Where to start?
    Posted: 31 July 2020 at 9:03pm
So I want to jam on a sound for my town, say about 100 size crowd. Occasional small venues or beach side. For reggae, Dub, Roots and house,

Where do I begin to start? I was referred to this website, but I wish to not ask what could be a very vague questions. I also want to add that I have TWO hand-me-down boxes, I am guessing they can be used or cleaned up for 18" subs? Will post a pic as soon as I am home.

I am planing to be using both stimulus checks towards this soundsystem.

Cheers and thanks in advanced.

Edited by dsss - 31 July 2020 at 9:56pm
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 12:15am
Post the pictures and a list of whatever else equipment you have. People  will always help here. There is a lot of good advice in the search feature of the forum as well. 
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2020 at 8:04am
Take tour time to read around the forum, many posts about difference between reflex systems, horn system, and the most common diy options.
Some dimensions of your boxes will help to unserstand what could work in them.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2020 at 6:25am
Honestly, it is a long journey. Most people start by buiilding some bass bins. That is in a way the easiest part. Designing proper working mid/high loudspeakers is more demanding due to the shorter wavelenghts involved.
The frequency spectrum needs to be divided into several parts, because no type of transducer can cover everything on its own, going loud enough, with flat response, etc. 

In the mid/high frequency range wavelenghts become shorter the higher you go. At 100 hz the physical wavelenght is 3,4 m , at 1000 Hz 34cm, at 2000 Hz 17 cm, 4000 Hz 8,5 cm, and so on..... this means that crossing over in the higher frequencies between drivers you have to take increasingly more physical details of your loudspeaker design into account.

If you are really interested and eager, by all means get into it. But if you want to get on with playing music, it would probably be better to focus on assembling a first, small rig from second hand components. Bear in mind that amps and processing, and knowledge about how to dial in the processing are also important and often overlooked.

citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2020 at 9:37am
As someone who started knowing nothing and within 6 months had completed a 4 way horn loaded system which has gone on to be successful I would say the place to start is research.

First I would work out what all the major components to a system are, at their most basic it is a source, mixer, processor, amplifiers and speakers. There are many ways you could go with all of these. 

You have set some achievable goals, building a system to cover 100 people is very achievable, even alone.

Assuming your budget is modest, I would start with a couple of 15 or 18 inch reflex subs and a couple of 12 inch + 1.4 inch tops. 

A lot of driver manufacturers have plans on their websites including 18 sound, Beyma, Fane, P.Audio and B&C. Here are the B&C plans https://www.bcspeakers.com/resources/suggested-designs

Feel free to ask any questions here, I know from my own experience there is a bit of a steep learning curve when you first start learning about sound systems. 

dsss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2020 at 6:28pm
Wow! Thanks for all the responses!
Yeah, it became apparent how steep this learning curve is. I’ve been lurking around this sound and it’s been helping so much

This is what I’m starting with, hand me downs from a friend, conditions seem to be doing aright 

https://imgur.com/gallery/137BHwn

Edited by dsss - 12 August 2020 at 6:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply