Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator for outdoor speaker running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Generator for outdoor speaker running
    Posted: 09 August 2020 at 9:40am
I am looking for a generator to power my amplifiers and decks for small outdoor events in the future that are capable of putting in a van and that will be powerful enough to have around 8 - 10   240v sockets powered by it

Can anyone recommend any or post any links to ones please .

Thanks
J
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:34am
Okay, 8 - 10 sockets it pretty vague, 10 x 13 amp sockets is 130 amps so you’re looking at quite a big set there, you’d struggle to get the in and out of a van. 

Generators are measured in output power in Kva. This is basically a total of the maximum power draw of all the things you going to plug in to it plus a good amount of headroom. However, if you have 6k of rig it will never pull 6k and can be run on less although many will advise against. Don’t even entertain the idea of a petrol set. Diesel generators are much more stable and the idea of filling a HOT petrol set half way through a gig whilst slightly drunk is a recipe for a trip to the burns unit.

To really help we need to know what’s actually going to be plugged in and we can take it from there.
blah blah blah blah blah......
jordanclarkdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Okay, 8 - 10 sockets it pretty vague, 10 x 13 amp sockets is 130 amps so you’re looking at quite a big set there, you’d struggle to get the in and out of a van. 

Generators are measured in output power in Kva. This is basically a total of the maximum power draw of all the things you going to plug in to it plus a good amount of headroom. However, if you have 6k of rig it will never pull 6k and can be run on less although many will advise against. Don’t even entertain the idea of a petrol set. Diesel generators are much more stable and the idea of filling a HOT petrol set half way through a gig whilst slightly drunk is a recipe for a trip to the burns unit.

To really help we need to know what’s actually going to be plugged in and we can take it from there.

Hi, thanks for quick response, so the things that will be plugged in 

2 x pioneer CDJ2000Nexus Decks 
1 x Pioneer DJM900Nexus Mixer

2 x  amplifiers (for bass & mid tops)
1 x amplifier crossover 

2 x active DJ monitor speakers

4 x eurolite 12led bar (lighting) 

12 sockets total

I am guessing that I will need to plug these in via two adapters then into the generator 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 1:21pm
I am guessing it would also need to be a ' silent generator ' 

something like this? although its quite heavy and a little big for transporting myself in the van, I only have a small ford transit connect van so ideally need a smaller generator 

What do you suggest 
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 2:18pm
I would not use a small avr generatpr like this with simple voltage regulator , but look for one with inverter for the delicate and expensive electronics you have there.
I think a honda eu7000 would fit well if budget allows. Small stable and quiet.

If you don't need to squeeze the amplifiers a 3000 should be enough, but we don't know your amps and speakers.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by jordanclarkdj jordanclarkdj wrote:

so the things that will be plugged in 

1 x amplifier crossover 

12 sockets total

I am guessing that I will need to plug these in via two adapters then into the generator 

That isn't anywhere close to 8-10 230v sockets worth of equipment.. might only be 1. What are the amplifiers and active speakers in question?

The rule of thumb for this is to add up the continuous power requirements of all small signal electronics and lighting.. which won't be much, and add the rated output of all amplifiers and powered speakers and get a generator capable of delivering that continuously..  not peak. And even at that there is a bit of headroom baked in as the examples below demonstrate.

A couple examples I have run. 
1. A pair of 1000w powered speakers(Yamaha DXR15), 4x 1m LED bars, small desktop mixer, Wireless mic, DJ console(DDJ SX) and laptop from a 2000w inverter generator.

2.  2x  215+2 plus 2x 218 passive speakers, 6000w amp rack with LMS, desktop mixer, wireless mic, DDJ SZ, 2 laptops all on a 5500w commercial gasoline generator(non inverter) for a parade float, only a couple hours run time so refueling not a concern.

Edited by Conanski - 09 August 2020 at 3:23pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 5:00pm

Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

Hi, thanks for quick response, so the things that will be plugged in 

1 x amplifier crossover 

12 sockets total

Ok - the desks, lighting and crossover are really irrelevant. You could power those off a small petrol Honda, etc.

What draws the power are the amplifiers - and those could be 200W, or 20,000W, so you really need to give us more information, ie makes and models.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

so the things that will be plugged in 

1 x amplifier crossover 

12 sockets total

That isn't anywhere close to 8-10 230v sockets worth of equipment.. might only be 1. What are the amplifiers and active speakers in question?

The rule of thumb for this is to add up the continuous power requirements of all small signal electronics and lighting.. which won't be much, and add the rated output of all amplifiers and powered speakers and get a generator capable of delivering that continuously..  not peak. And even at that there is a bit of headroom baked in as the examples below demonstrate.

A couple examples I have run. 
1. A pair of 1000w powered speakers(Yamaha DXR15), 4x 1m LED bars, small desktop mixer, Wireless mic, DJ console(DDJ SX) and laptop from a 2000w inverter generator.

2.  2x  215+2 plus 2x 218 passive speakers, 6000w amp rack with LMS, desktop mixer, wireless mic, DDJ SZ, 2 laptops all on a 5500w commercial gasoline generator(non inverter) for a parade float, only a couple hours run time so refueling not a concern.

so the amplifiers I have are

Behringer EP4000 (2 channel mixer )
Behringer KM1700 (2 channel mixer ) 

The active DJ monitors are a cheap make from Ebay called ' KAM ' they are 15inch and im sure only around 800watt 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:02pm
Someone said to me 

6.5 KVA with a built in regulator is what i needed?
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:03pm
a little 6kva 'wheel barrow' diesel set will power your system no problem. Can get a reputable used one for £600-1000.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

a little 6kva 'wheel barrow' diesel set will power your system no problem. Can get a reputable used one for £600-1000.

Can you post a photo of how they look or even any links to ones that would do the job. Thank you :) 
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 10:40pm

Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

Can you post a photo of how they look or even any links to ones that would do the job. Thank you :) 

something like this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-silent-diesel-generator-6kva-yanmar-110-240v/293629406686?hash=item445dad2dde%3Ag%3AcyQAAOSwOyNeut1N&LH_ItemCondition=3000

easy enough to move around on your own, long as your van has a ramp to roll up/down.

Avoid Kipor brand, cheap knockoff of real brands, alright for occasional use but nothing to rely on, very unreliable.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>