Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Generator for outdoor speaker running

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 11:30pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

Originally posted by jordanclarkdj jordanclarkdj wrote:

Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

a little 6kva 'wheel barrow' diesel set will power your system no problem. Can get a reputable used one for £600-1000.

Can you post a photo of how they look or even any links to ones that would do the job. Thank you :) 

something like this:

easy enough to move around on your own, long as your van has a ramp to roll up/down.

Avoid Kipor brand, cheap knockoff of real brands, alright for occasional use but nothing to rely on, very unreliable. 

Do you have any links to any websites other than Ebay for these ? 

I seen small honda powered ones that look like they can be carried by hand, I take it they are no use (not powerful enough) ? 
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 11:43pm

so the amplifiers I have are

Behringer EP4000 (2 channel mixer )
Behringer KM1700 (2 channel mixer ) 

The active DJ monitors are a cheap make from Ebay called ' KAM ' they are 15inch and im sure only around 800watt 

What event duration do you need to cover... just a few hours or all night? You could run that on a 4500-5000w gas genset but if you need more than 5-6 hrs run time a diesel would be the better choice. 
jordanclarkdj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

so the amplifiers I have are

Behringer EP4000 (2 channel mixer )
Behringer KM1700 (2 channel mixer ) 

The active DJ monitors are a cheap make from Ebay called ' KAM ' they are 15inch and im sure only around 800watt 

What event duration do you need to cover... just a few hours or all night? You could run that on a 4500-5000w gas genset but if you need more than 5-6 hrs run time a diesel would be the better choice. 

5-6 hours run time should be fine to be honest. 

(can you re fill with diesel while running worse case scenario that you think you may be running low)
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 11:53pm

I seen small honda powered ones that look like they can be carried by hand, I take it they are no use (not powerful enough) ? 
Honda, Yamaha and a bunch of others make small to medium sized inverter generators(up to 7kw) that would do the job if you don't need extended run time, the larger versions are pretty heavy though up around 250lbs.
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2020 at 11:55pm
No generator should be refueled while running... same as any piece of machinery. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 12:11am
osse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote osse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 10:35am
I've been running petrol gen sets for outdoor parties refueling them drunk while running, for over 10 years. Sometimes it's kinda scary but never any problem even spilling a lot of fuel on it. Take it for what it's worth I would not recommend it but I'm alive and well.

I've used both inverters and cheap Chinese non inverted ones with pioneer cdjs, non inverted ones work well with iron amps and my smps JBL eon tops but not sure how they would work with big smps amps.

Kipor inverter gen sets has worked fine for me
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 1:53pm
Yeah you are quite lucky then mate....the exhaust on a small engine that's been running for hours, is usually hotter than the flash point of petrol! 
It's a little safer with diesel, as the flash point is that much higher. Still not a great idea.

In general diesel gensets are better, as the flywheel is heavier and so the RPM is more stable. Petrol sets run faster, with a smaller flywheel, and can more easily overspeed (producing abnormally high voltage and frequency) if a large electrical load suddenly drops off. 
EG absolute worst case scenario is a cascade failure: you blow your bass bins - the bass amp load drops off - the genny overspeeds - voltage goes to 300V+ for a second - this blows up your DJ gear - party over.
That's why it's considered best practice to have at least 1kVa, preferably more, "spare" capacity in the genset compared to what you need. You can then use a 500 watt floodlight as a constant load, to help keep the speed level. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 2:14pm
All of the better commercial gensets (gas or diesel) have automatic voltage regulation so that is something to look for. I have run the larger parade system mentioned above which includes smps amplifiers on commercial non inverter generators for the last few years with no issues. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jordanclarkdj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 5:34pm
Based on what you have said above 

I think I need to try and source myself some a 

6.5 KVA with a built in regulator  (diesel)  and I should be fine with no troubles then 

Just need to source some for reasonable value, 

Appreciate all your help 
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2020 at 9:34pm
theres lots out there, and i linked you to the kind of sized unit i would recommend. Whilst shite like Kipor are everywhere and cheap, i can't recommend them. Up to you if you listen to that or chance it. Likewise, if you find something 'lightweight & portable', whilst it may work, for a time, its your risk.

depends whether you're providing a professional service, a budget disco, or a free party suicide rig.

Edited by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 - 10 August 2020 at 10:05pm
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2020 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by studio45 studio45 wrote:

Yeah you are quite lucky then mate....the exhaust on a small engine that's been running for hours, is usually hotter than the flash point of petrol! 
It's a little safer with diesel, as the flash point is that much higher. Still not a great idea.

Flash point isn't when it goes bang, you're thinking autoignition temperature. Both pretty important in terms of risk assessment but autoignition temp is the most important IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>