Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DSP Tops Wiring Help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DSP Tops Wiring Help
    Posted: 19 August 2020 at 9:55am
Looking to get a DSP soon. Just after some wiring advice as im getting a little confused when it comes to the Tops and im getting contradicting answers over on another forum.

2x Tops 30w, 8Ω, 106db spl (doesnt state weather this is max or rms rating anywhere)

2x Mids 200w rms 8Ω 95db spl

2x Subs 280w rms 8Ω 95db spl

Amplifier 4 channel Pioneer 8704, 4x 100w @ 4Ω.

I need to have the Tops on there own channel and the Mids on there own channel. So i thought ideally the Tops be wired in series to create a 16Ω load feeding them 25w of power each. As to not exceed the 30w rating of the tops. But the amplifier spec sheet says speaker impedance range is 1Ω to 8Ω, so i dont think i can do that. However one guy says its fine to go lower impedance, where as another guy says its not and i should wire the tops in parallel to create a 4Ω load, feeding the Tops 50w Each, and then just reduce the gain on the DSP for the Tops. 

So im getting real confused as im still learning myself and obviously dont want to mess it up or blow anything. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I would then have my 2 Mids wired in parallel to one channel so 4ohm load 50w each.

Then the 2 Subs Each to there own channel 8Ω so around 70w each.

Cheers 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 August 2020 at 2:57pm
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 10:54am
if you're using passive crossovers between your mids and highs.... then each mid / high section only needs 1 amplifier and dsp channel.

what are the passive crossovers?
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 11:00am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

if you're using passive crossovers between your mids and highs.... then each mid / high section only needs 1 amplifier and dsp channel.

what are the passive crossovers?

Ahh shit sorry mate I ment that my current setup is using passive crossover from mid to top. But I want to get rid of the passive crossovers and use the active crossovers in the DSP. But then the Tops on there own channel wiring is where i am struggling.

.....Actually i dont know why i even mentioned my current setup. Ill edit it out now. 

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 August 2020 at 11:24am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 11:24am
you could put the 2 highs in series, so a 16ohm load on the one channel, and put the 2 mids in parallel, so a 4 ohm load on the second channel. and can you bridge the other 2 channels into the 2 subs in paralell at 4ohms?

a reason to consider putting the highs in series rather than parellel would be to raise the impedance so somewhat attenuating them relative to the mids.

edit: and wouldn't worry about putting to high an impedance on a channel.

Edited by cravings - 19 August 2020 at 11:25am
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 11:31am
Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

you could put the 2 highs in series, so a 16ohm load on the one channel, and put the 2 mids in parallel, so a 4 ohm load on the second channel. and can you bridge the other 2 channels into the 2 subs in paralell at 4ohms?

a reason to consider putting the highs in series rather than parellel would be to raise the impedance so somewhat attenuating them relative to the mids.

edit: and wouldn't worry about putting to high an impedance on a channel.

Cool ok mate thats perfect thanks. 

This is what i thought yeh about putting them in series to attenuate. But then wasnt sure as the amp spec sheet says 1 to 8 ohm Load Allowance. 

Yes i can link in parrallel the subs and then bridge the final 2 channels to create 2Ω load. The subs would get 150w each then. But i have been told running the amplifier at 2ohm puts too much strain on most amps. So happy to just run each sub on its own channel getting around 70w each. 

What you rekon though? 

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 August 2020 at 8:37pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Jack1991 Jack1991 wrote:

[QUOTE=cravings]
Yes i can link in parrallel the subs and then bridge the final 2 channels to create 2Ω load.

Some misunderstanding here. You say your subs are both 8ohm. putting these in parallel creates a 4ohm load.

Bridging 2 channels of the amp or not does not affect the load. Amplifiers are rated as having the capability to run into a particular range of impedance's and this is range is changed if the amp is bridged.

Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 2:50pm
Ah yes i understand linking 2x 8Ω speakers in parallel creates a 4Ω load. 

But i thought then bridging that 4ohm load over two channels you get the 2ohm load from 1 channel and the 2ohm load from the second channel to create the 4 ohm. (1x 300w @ 2ohm bridged)

So if i bridged just 1 of the 8ohm subs it would be drawing the 4 ohm load from one channel and the 4ohm load from the second channel (1x 200w @4ohm bridged)

Thats how i understood it. But is that not correct?

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 August 2020 at 3:00pm
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2020 at 8:36pm
Also just heard from another guy on a different forum who has the same tops that the 30w rating for the Tops is the RMS power rating. Not Max.

So id like to know if its best to wire in parallel for 4ohm so 50w each and then lower the gain to match the mids. Or wire in series for 16ohm and probably still have to lower the gain slightly to match the mids.

???

Edited by Jack1991 - 19 August 2020 at 8:36pm
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2020 at 12:54am

So id like to know if its best to wire in parallel for 4ohm so 50w each and then lower the gain to match the mids. Or wire in series for 16ohm and probably still have to lower the gain slightly to match the mids. 

Those compression drivers are 11dB more sensitive than the other drivers.. that is more than a power of 10 in terms of power so any way you do this you're going to have to turn these down a LOT. Another way to put this, with 100w to the subs the CD will only need 10w to keep up. 

Edited by Conanski - 20 August 2020 at 12:55am
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2020 at 1:01am

But i thought then bridging that 4ohm load over two channels you get the 2ohm load from 1 channel and the 2ohm load from the second channel to create the 4 ohm.
Sorta, the amp behaves in a theoretical way as if each side is "seeing" half the load, but it's now really just a single channel and the spec for that configuration(1x 200w @ 4ohm bridged) already has this "sharing" factored in.

Edited by Conanski - 20 August 2020 at 1:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply