Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > HD 15 horn
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's better?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's better?
    Posted: 24 August 2020 at 12:58pm
Ok, so i'm using HD15 and really like them. 

What's better though? Which boxes are preferable doing the same, or similar, cutoffs?
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 1:46pm
I think a cab you might be interested in is the F2B, the few people that have heard it seem to love it. 
bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 2:16pm
timebombs rb212 is similar to the f2b, folded frontloaded horn - much nicer to my ears than a bph..
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by Cheekybox Cheekybox wrote:

Ok, so i'm using HD15 and really like them. 

What's better though? Which boxes are preferable doing the same, or similar, cutoffs?
The best thing about the HD, is that it's small and light. And yes you can use it on its own with a couple of small tops. 
For its size vs donk output I don't think you can beat them tbf. 
F2B is a nice box, but you'd want to have a stack of them, maybe with some bsx/218 for lower extension. It's wasted as a 'kick bin' 
Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 5:32pm
im thinking of replacing all my HDs with ES18s. Worth it?
Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by Cheekybox Cheekybox wrote:

im thinking of replacing all my HDs with ES18s. Worth it?
You seem happy with the HD, don't really see the reason to change. 

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 5:53pm
Cubo Kick is another option imo, sounds WAY better/smoother than HD15s!
ES18 suffers the same issues (Honk) if not carefully controllered via DSP, just goes a tad lower due to size. What exactly are your needs? Plenty of options but as usual all have pros and cons :)
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by bass*en*mass bass*en*mass wrote:

Cubo Kick is another option imo, sounds WAY better/smoother than HD15s!
ES18 suffers the same issues (Honk) if not carefully controllered via DSP, just goes a tad lower due to size. What exactly are your needs? Plenty of options but as usual all have pros and cons :)

Agreed, Cubo kick is much better sounding than the HD15 or the ES18.

Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 7:03pm
Really? That is very interesting to hear. I thought i'd read somewhere that the ES18 beats both but i could be wrong about that. 

My sense was that over the years that people were moving away from HDs as new designs come out. Is it the opinion of many people, then, that this is a mistake or at least unnecessary?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 7:49pm
beats both at what? ..you still didnt tell us what exactly you are looking for.. :( 
dedicated kick, allround/compromised bass, bit of both etc. etc. - spill the beans :)

es18s do go lower than the hd15s (45ish hz in multiples compared to 60ish hz)
es18s do not go higher pleasently than hd15s (both struggle above 160ish hz, no matter what driver imo and experience)
cubo kicks are dedicated kicks and sound best 80-160ish.. (better than those 2 above imo)

Cheekybox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheekybox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 8:36pm
Dedicated kick. 70 or 80 to 170/80
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2020 at 8:43pm
+1 for the cubo kick .
A stack od es18 over a stack od subs tho can help a bunch with 50-60hz impact if aligned correctly. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>