Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free Design Scoop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Western Mystics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free Design Scoop
    Posted: 15 September 2020 at 3:37pm
I've been running an imaginary sound for a few years now and the time has finally come to make the dream a reality and to build some scoops, I have 2 PD 1850 mk2's and a proline 3000 for amp duty. I'm planning on starting with a half stack and hopefully adding another 2 scoops in time then after I build some mids and tops too.

I'm caught between choosing the full size eminence wardrobe and the scaled up fane plan that was posted in these threads by Mykey. The lack of bracing turns me off the eminence a little bit as it looks like it's held together with hopes and dreams mostly but have heard this scoop play loaded with 1850's and I liked the sound a lot. The scaled up fane with the double baffle looks more robust but there's a few comments advising alterations in any thread it's been posted in so I'm betwixt and between and could do with a push in one direction or the other.

I already have the drivers so wondering which scoop people would build if they were in my shoes? 

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 3:51pm
If private plans are out of the equation, for pd1850 I would put the superscoop on the list of scoops, but can't comment on which is the best.
Are you set on scoops? there are other designs that may suit your needs (flh, reflex, taped horn...)
Regarding double baffle and/or bracing, I guess that you can add them pretty easily to the plan, I would think that a few cm3 less in the volume would not affect the output in a significant way. Take this with a pinch of salt of course
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 4:41pm
I'm the person, who requested the creation of the "Scoop Forum", many moons ago.

Original Superscoop 18, is not optimal for PD1850.

The Mykey plan will work.

Mykey has been selling Scoops for decades, that pound with PD1850s. Wink
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 4:42pm
Would also sell the Proline, and get a Crown MA5000VZ, or Crest CA18.
Western Mystics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Western Mystics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 7:58pm
Cheers JBK yeah pretty set on scoops I like the aesthetics of them and the sound even though there are probably more suitable alternatives I'd not be for budging there. For my purposes I think a free design will be fine too. The super scoop is a free plan too as you mention, I was after crossing that off the shortlist but maybe should stick it back on. What you say about take with a pinch of salt I'm not sure if I have the confidence to modify the box myself even if it's just added bracing if there's a set design already I'd be keen to go with that as it'll be my first time attempting a build so the less that can go queer the better.

"Mykey has been selling Scoops for decades, that pound with PD1850s." Thanks Levyte that's a vote for the Fane so 
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2020 at 9:49pm
Also, Paulus on here has a decent Chinese lightweight he loves, that will power 4x 1850s nicely, for very little 'dollah.

Think is an SAE.
Western Mystics View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Western Mystics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2020 at 8:54am
That might be the right job and I could put the proline on upper bass duty then, any chance you know the model? I'd been contemplating 3 prolines 2 for sub and one for upper when the full stack is done (in about 10 years time going by the pace I work at)
Maze View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2020 at 5:11am
There's also the "914 Scoop". Not sure who's build one yet, but it's designed for the PD1850. Might be worth looking into. I think it goes lower than the Super Scoop, but there's probably a trade off somewhere. I built a Super Scoop and put a cheap Chinese copy of the 1850 in it, but I'm still looking around for other scoop designs, and even though I might start with cheaper drivers I'd be upgrading them when I can afford it. Actually, the original PD1850 aren't even sold by their Chinese distributor, so for me copies are the only option it seems.

Are there people out there who sell private plans? Because since I'm too far away from the UK/US, I just can't have a set made from a scoop builder there (or I would).

Edited by Maze - 17 September 2020 at 5:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply