Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need some advice for replace drivers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need some advice for replace drivers
    Posted: 21 September 2020 at 4:21pm
Hi all,
I have 4 x mini scoop driven by Qsc Rmx3000a, 2xcubo kick 15" driven by Qsc Rmx 2000a

The driver is B&C TBX100, I'm thinking of replace them to  PD1850 from my miniscoop MKIII(Staiper's design)

The sound of B&C is round and warm, it sounds good to me, just out of curiosity, how's PD sounds like?

The problem is I live in Taiwan/South-East Asia, the shipping fee and tax will cost me about 500 eu or more, my question is "Does it worth me to do it, or not?"

Please shed some lights!

bass*en*mass View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bass*en*mass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2020 at 6:36pm
what speaker manufacturers do you have in Taiwan?
(as long as quality control is good and driver parameters are known+reliable i guess you could try a local product instead of spending money on import tax/fees etc.?)

1850s, if they match your scoops chambers/throat, will likely sound more aggressive/hard than the tbx100, which isnt exactly an ideal scoop driver anyways but if you like the sound of it a change for a driver with high B/L, low Qts wont make you happy..

drivers like the 18sw115, 18nlw9601 or 18xb1600 might offer a better balance between "punch" and lowend warmth imo - compared to tbx100 and 1850

after all it depends on your scoop and its chamber/throat to determine which driver suits it :)

Archi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 1:17pm
Loud speaker is not so popular here, there are few but the quality isn't good enough I think, we don't even have brandy distributor, it's a pity. 

I understand the balance you said, the tbx100 has not enough punch, but it deliver a warm bassline which is good for roots reggae, and I like those drivers you mentioned, great recommendation! 

The 18sw115 and 18nlw9601 are not fit in my scoop, the magnet is too deep in the chamber.
I've seen few video of 18sw115, the cone control is awesome, hope that I have chance to hear it someday.

I'll think about 18xb1600 or still 1850s
Thank you for answering me!
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2020 at 12:07pm
Your biggest issue would be the QSC MX 3000a. It does not have enough power to drive modern-day 18 inch drivers to their full potential. Even your current drivers are not being driven to their full potential due to the limitation of the QSC MX 3000a. Instead of focusing on swapping drivers, you should look for a higher wattage amplifier.

Best Regards, 

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 23 September 2020 at 12:11pm
Elliot Thompson
Archi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 September 2020 at 1:03pm
Agree, my partner got second hand Qsc rmx 5050a recently, we'll test it next moth

I'll wait for the result and update here, thanks for remind me that!

Post Reply Post Reply