Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

turbosound tmi

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianblumenfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: turbosound tmi
    Posted: 22 September 2020 at 8:19am
i got some turbosound tmi 12s

they sound a little congested in the mids, slighly agressive and tiring but it is on youtube, nice via tv, some with max resolution, still not brill

a bit loose and flabby on bass, too

when the hf boost is employed a little spitty and toppy

not enough air and a little dull with std hf switch

do ppl think its cos there old and the woofer suspension has gone soft

they're pd woofers, haven't had a  look inside, no idea what the trebles are

rear dual ports, but at least 2ft away from the wall

I am thinking of one day replacing drive units, the fact that they're trapezoid and so many 12 inchers available makes selection v difficult, i know pd's are great, poss a bit long in the tooth now, but its speaker tech, v little has changed apart from power rating

any suggestions please, tks

Edited by Ianblumenfeld - 22 September 2020 at 8:24am
Chris Grimshaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Chris Grimshaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 8:52am
My suggestion would be to get the measurement mic out and get the system dialled in properly.

A decent measurement setup (Beyerdynamic MM1 and Behringer UMC202HD) will cost less than a good 12" driver.

Chris
Quality sound from Sheffield
www.grimshawaudio.com
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 9:37am
So now you have gone from Nexo PS10 to Turbosound TMI12 and currently asking about Mackie subwoofers.
You seem to find fault with everything that you try or test and your first posts about using the PS10 cabinets without the correct controller and then complaining about the sound quality caused quite a few laughs on here.
These are all well recognised Pro PA speakers that are used in the industry by seasoned Pro engineers and sound companies and should not be compared to top end Hi-Fi speakers in any way.
If you are serious about getting good PA sound quality then you really should have spent the last year or so(I know it has been difficult lately) going out and listening to lots of different systems in use inside the environment that they are designed for and then making your own mind up on what you would be happy with instead of coming on here with aimless posts on a variety of subjects and slagging off products that you have no experience with!!!!
Ianblumenfeld View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianblumenfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 9:47am
robbo, tks for advice

actually with appreciation

I said I couldn't afford the controller at the time,and couldn't find one, it was always my intention to get one

I have got one now

haven't had a chance to get it going yet

I do have experience, both of electronics design, and other things

but limited in terms of pa,

I haven't slagged them off, I have been misunderstood

I appreciate ppl's knowledge and experience here

no I haven't changed, I have both turbos and nexo's

I am after a sub, so am simply canvassing opinion

it has been difficult, as you say

i favor large amps and big paper cones, pa, rather than hifi

so I attempting to get a consensus of opinion, that's all, I have very limited time at the moment

for endless web searching and reading of books

and what can one do with covid to gain experience

apart from asking knowledgable ppl?

Edited by Ianblumenfeld - 22 September 2020 at 9:54am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianblumenfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Chris Grimshaw Chris Grimshaw wrote:

My suggestion would be to get the measurement mic out and get the system dialled in properly.

A decent measurement setup (Beyerdynamic MM1 and Behringer UMC202HD) will cost less than a good 12" driver.

Chris

perhaps i'll stick a smelly sock or two to bung ports upSmile

and old trick

it was always my intention to multi amp and active xover

is that what you're suggesting, chris, tks

and to eq the system?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianblumenfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 1:57pm
well, I have some news

as the sound is definitely substandard, I have done some sherlock holmes type deduction

watson....elementary, my dear

to eliminate everything

I am thinking the cheapo lexicon interface of all things for a superb company

is the weak link

the sound is betraying similarities

so I strongly suspect that is the commonality

the rest of the stuff is superb

so time to ditch the interfact and bypass it completely

mischief managed

now if i sit back a while and think, the solution presents itself
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 3:37pm
I have a couple of friends who have moderate to severe ADHD. This often manifests in rapid changes of direction, a million questions an hour and a certain naivety. Can be frustrating particularly when people don’t appreciate that the person with the ADHD simply has a brain that processes information differently, and they are not trying to be irritating.  
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 4:12pm
I don't recognise this as any specific poster we've had here before.. but it does seem like a familiar pattern alright

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ianblumenfeld Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 5:10pm
well, I certainly haven't been here before

what are forums for, if not to share, and sometimes ask for advice???

I can assure you, I take comments on board, and its not wasted advice

I suppose, its possible I have adhd, perhaps, perhaps, not

so someone above who perhaps understands

and its certainly not my intention to rub ppl's backs up

I am simply attempting to learn, by asking respectfully

from those, who know, to prevent expensive mistakes

so, please try to understand where I am coming from, I only mean well
4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2020 at 7:09pm
Change your source !!

streaming audio is unlikely to provide full fat audio, more like powdered skimmed milk.

DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
 Post Reply Post Reply