Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jands TMS4's (Australian build)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jands TMS4's (Australian build)
    Posted: 25 September 2020 at 6:40am
Hi all, as a long time Turbo fan I have come across 4 TMS4's here in Perth, part of a sell off from a hire shop.

They are a full restoration project, which is cool, and the price is fair, but some guy beat me to them and was reviewing them when I got there to pick up some other purchases.

He rejected them because they were Australian build / Jands TMS4's not London build, anyone know the difference?

all the insides are labelled Turbo,  and what drivers are present are all correct - was this guy just being snobby?

I'm happy to grab them "For Personal Use", but am a little Cautious.

Cheers

Stu...
StuVee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 6:41am
PS he seemed fairly cluey - was looking in specific places for Made in London marks and stuff......
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2020 at 8:45am
All the Australian TMS4 I have seen (which is not many, maybe 3 separate pairs all up) have JBL drivers in them. I thought that UK ones used Fane drivers.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2020 at 8:45pm
im speculating here, but it wouldn't surprise me if they built 'licensed' cabs in Australia to original blueprints etc, with drivers specified by Turbo - possibly tailored to the local market availability. Your import rules/taxes are mental.

Much like most the Danley in the UK, was made in country under license rather than imported from his woodshop. Should be the same product ultimately, but will always be subtle differences.

''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
Racks&Stacks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Racks&Stacks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 October 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by mk2_ginger_biscuit69 mk2_ginger_biscuit69 wrote:

im speculating here, but it wouldn't surprise me if they built 'licensed' cabs in Australia to original blueprints etc, with drivers specified by Turbo - possibly tailored to the local market availability. Your import rules/taxes are mental.

Much like most the Danley in the UK, was made in country under license rather than imported from his woodshop. Should be the same product ultimately, but will always be subtle differences.

My understanding is that there is like one sub model licensed to be built in the uk, but definitely not the entire product line
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2020 at 11:40pm
Jands had a massive Turbo stock and may well have had a licence to build them, SSE build Nexo in the UK, so it seem logical a rental house the size of Jands (who carried enough Claire S4 to do U2 back in teh day, to give an idea of their size) would be able to do that.

Snobbery aside, I'd run them up and have  listen, if you like them, buy them.

The 18 has to hit 250Hz so they need to be pretty well specc'd to achieve that!!!!!!

Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2020 at 10:03pm
From when I worked at Partridge Green (1993) I don't recall hearing anything about boxes being built (legitimately) elsewhere, and we were still making a few TMS4's at that time. We were shipping UK-made product all over the world.

But that was after FK1 had split off,  so I don't know what arrangements might have been made in the 1980s. I know they always kept very tight control over who built the boxes, and took legal action against unauthorised constructors.

Edited by madboffin - 17 October 2020 at 10:07pm
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 2:24am
I have connections to Jands via my work. I'll see if there's anyone still there who might know about those boxes. Probably not but worth an ask ?

.p.
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 8:33am
I would not be surprised if Jands were legitimate builders of these. SSE in the UK built turbo in its early days, and given the distance and import duty situation it makes a lot of sense from a business perspective.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2020 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

I would not be surprised if Jands were legitimate builders of these. SSE in the UK built turbo in its early days, and given the distance and import duty situation it makes a lot of sense from a business perspective.

Yes, it would make sense. Probably the only person who will know for sure is Tony Andrews.

The SSE agreement famously ended acrimoniously, with a big falling-out between Tony Andrews and John Penn!

--------

Dave Martin had an agreement in the 1980s with his Canadian distributor Russ Heinl (Heinl Electronics) for some standard Martin equipment to be built locally. The boxes were made in the Yorkville woodworking factory, which built cabinets for several manufacturers, and the products were sold in Canada and the USA.

Edited by madboffin - 18 October 2020 at 1:34pm
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 12:59am
Ok... so I've spoken to some ex Jands guys and Bruce Johnson who have memories of this stuff !

Jands did make TMS3 copies ( called Series 3) which were loaded with JBL drivers ( def the 15" ) maybe not the highs ? But no-one remembers there being any Jands made TMS4's ? Are those boxes black perchance ?

Laters

.p.

Edited by Phil B - 19 October 2020 at 12:59am
Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
StuVee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StuVee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2020 at 1:49am
They sure are😃 and I'm picking them up next week btw for a full restore. Then they will go blue.....

Stu.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>