Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Void infinite 8 mk2 v 2 x matrix xt7000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aman Gebru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I've never run them at 2 ohms, and few people blew them doing so.

Who knows if some people did something wrong, or later models stronger..

Any way, amp repaired/serviced from Void, did 2 ohm all day.

Good job.Clap

A common problem would be that people wouldn't turn on the 25Hz HPF as they though it would remove too much low end (which it didn't). They would then run from a turntable straight into a preamp and out to the amps. You will notice most preamps don't have a HPF, so effectively you have the stylus connected directly to the drivers. There's a lot of very low freq content from a turntable from 7 to 15Hz and it really gives any amp a hard time, especially at lower impedance loads.

I've seen other mistakes similar to this that would put any amp under very serious stain. I've also seen pro audio companies run Infinite 8's within an inch of their lives, but because of the awareness of things like HPF and proper limiting, have never had any problems.

imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

The only mods made to an Infinite 8 Mk2 to allow for continuous extreme use into 2 ohms per channel was that the factory would supply a 50 amp rear panel mounted fuse instead of the 35 amp standard one. Other than that it was 2 ohm stable out the factory. You could get away with 1 ohm if you didn't go stupid.

There were also a series of design upgrades made along its journey. Things like improving the soft start reaction time and a few additional heatsink changes. But not of these were made to make the amp perform any better at 2 ohms. They were just evolutionary updates to make it a better amp all round.

👍
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

But not of these were made to make the amp perform any better at 2 ohms. They were just evolutionary updates to make it a better amp all round.

And now it's time, to pour a drink, and reminisce, of how great the 8MK2 was, and the last of the greats that met and exceeded specs, and is no longer made.

Edited by levyte357- - 26 September 2020 at 10:49am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 11:00am
What would you say is a comparable pig iron amp still available today then lev? I've heard the JTS UA6 is a close contender but again not made anymore (I don't think)
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Aurora Aurora wrote:

What would you say is a comparable pig iron amp still available today then lev? I've heard the JTS UA6 is a close contender but again not made anymore (I don't think)

Personally don't know of any transformer amp, that comes close to actual Power output of 8MK2 @ 4 ohms.

Not even Crest 9001 or 10001 match it.

Crest 9001 is awesome at 2 ohm, but must have decent mains to do it.

QSC PL9 has oodles of power, but may not come home alive, if you make demands, and it is not powered right.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Sypa View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sypa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 11:37am
Mentioning the ram bux 5.0 for the fifth time on the same context i thinkBig smile
Specs really close to the inf 8 and it delivers , a rare find these days i reckon.

Got this ad a few weeks ago on Instagram 
https://splaudioprofessional.com/ca300/

Intrigued but highly suspicious of the specs .
knet94 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knet94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 1:09pm

Elements Audio (Bee) on here is selling K1600s. These are designed by the same engineer who designed the SAE/Lexon PMX1450. I used 2 of them to drive double 21" Earthquakes at 2019 NH Carnival. they very, very impressive. Sadly due to me being out of the country for the winter and covid-19 I have not been able to get them out and play them in anger since. I would have no trouble recommending them. Ask Bee for more information.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 6:06pm
Rory, you know as well as I do what the UA6 is capable of. The same as inf8, it exceeds its stated power. I'd say both amps equal. But more inf8's out there than UA6. UA6 best amp I've used for running bass. And as you also know, at 2.6r, UA6 doesn't even get warm with clip lights flickering.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 6:17pm

Still listed on their web page at http://www.jtsstudio.co.uk/pages/amps.htm

Along with their lower power amps and their new Annihilator LOL
If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by BJtheDJ BJtheDJ wrote:

Still listed on their web page at http://www.jtsstudio.co.uk/pages/amps.htm

Along with their lower power amps and their new Annihilator LOL

Not sure I'd believe that, I seem to remember Tubbs saying output devices no longer available. Which is a shame, brute of an amp.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
Aurora View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aurora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2020 at 7:57pm
Originally posted by valve head777 valve head777 wrote:

Rory, you know as well as I do what the UA6 is capable of. The same as inf8, it exceeds its stated power. I'd say both amps equal. But more inf8's out there than UA6. UA6 best amp I've used for running bass. And as you also know, at 2.6r, UA6 doesn't even get warm with clip lights flickering.

Oh don't I know it Clap, blew away the FFA 10k in terms of warmth and sheer low end power I seem to remember Big smile. I'm not really keen on changing my inf8 out for anything else, but it's interesting to see whats on the market these days big heavy toroidal amp wise.
PISSHEAD View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PISSHEAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 5:12pm
some nice Transformer amps designed in Indonesia but made in China.
The 'drunken master' strikes again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>