Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Yamaha/Eminence titanium diaphragms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yamaha/Eminence titanium diaphragms
    Posted: 03 October 2020 at 4:40pm
Yamaha YC330A01 compression drivers, one with a disintegrating dome and t'other with a seperated voice coil.

These are Yamaha customised Eminence PSD 2013-8 drivers although Yammy rate them at 50w not 85w

The Eminence diaphragm is identical to the Yamahas, with the addition of a 1mm thick white nylon spacer (the part with '703' written on).

A question for the comp experts:  Is it wise to use the Eminence diaphragm as-is, or are Yamaha onto something shortening the overhang by 1mm?

Expressions of sympathy at having two knackered diaphragms are welcome, but I got these in a job lot of Yammy gear so I've no idea of their history.

Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2020 at 5:04pm
Wouldn’t it be possible the lowering of the powerrating is linked to the removal of the spacer? And thus being more controlled and “better” sounding while lowering its xmax?
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2020 at 5:39pm
My thoughts too, although there's a good marketing reason Eminence would tout their retail drivers with an inflated rating while Yamaha would underrate a component used in an assembly, so realistically there could be nothing in the different ratings.

The lack of spacer puts the dome 1mm closer to the waveguide too, which must have some significant effects.

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2020 at 8:21pm
I wonder if those diaphragms were used on a number of different products, in which case the shim might be required for this particular model?
1mm is quite a lot, so it's unlikely to be there to take up a tolerance in the phase plug height as was the case with some other manufacturers' drivers.

Unusual to see Ti diaphragms shattered like that, they usually fare much better than Al types!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2020 at 9:59pm
I've heard of dome breakup, but this is tinsel.  And I've got a magnet gap full of titanium glitter to clean out too.

The replacement diaphragm is a standard Eminence one as Yamaha don't sell replacement diaphragms.  The nylon spacer is glued on, doesn't look like an optional shim.  I could cut it off...

Meanwhile, I've suceeded in swapping the good voice coil onto the good dome without knackering either, next question is:  What glue to use to join them back together?
 Post Reply Post Reply