Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Insulating Garage advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Insulating Garage advice
    Posted: 26 October 2020 at 5:52pm
I have been looking to insulate my garage for a while now. I want to insulate between the rafters of my pitched roof and also to insulate up and over garage door.

My up and over garage door is rarely used. So i have been trying to think of ways to maybe make up a frame housing some sort of insulation, with maybe plasterboard or plywood over the top that can be temporarily screwed over the door. Then if need be can just be unscrewed and lifted out the way for if i need to bring car/van inside etc.

I am looking to insulate it for sound and heat. I am not expecting total soundproof at all (i understand that would cost thousands and a room within a room etc is the only way) so just the materials i select i would prefer would be for sound more than heat. Ive read up alot lately on the differences between sound absorbing and sound proofing so i understand that to some degree, although i have sometimes read conflicting information.

The garage is detached at the end of my garden backing onto a lane which then has garages behind for the houses behind mine too. 

I eventually just want to make it into a sort of music/chill room where i could set up the decks and speakers, probably just my little monitor speakers as my proper system would be too much i expect, and not have to worry about annoying neighbours, as i live in row of terraced houses.

Between the rafter insulation can be max 50mm thick. Rockwool RWA45 and Celotex seem to be the two main ones that i have been told about or read online that would be good insulation for sound proofing.

So really im asking for opinions or pointers from people who have done this sort of thing to advise me in selecting the correct stuff and not wasting money on things that would make zero difference. 

Price wise. I was quoted £250 to do the Rafter insulation in Celotex. But have since read Rockwool RWA45 is better at sound proofing and that is £150.
For the garage door i dont really know yet. Im just mainly looking for peoples views from here on what theyd do.

Cheers 🙂👍🏼

Edited by Jack1991 - 26 October 2020 at 6:05pm
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:21pm
Rock wool is best for sound. Big heavy curtains by the garage door will help. Make some lined with rockwool maybe
the midtops!
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:22pm
Fit a pair of "barn doors" on the inside of the up and over garage door. A simple frame to hold the Celotex.
munkey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote munkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:24pm
It won't be sound proof, but it will help. Curtains and/or hangings on the wall will help also. I've read about using bass traps, but never made or used one. A triangular box frame, covered in carpet, placed in the corner should absorb some bass
the midtops!
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:29pm
Celotex/Kingspan etc burn.
Rockwool doesn't.

Grenfell and the whole cladding clusterfuck would never have happened if everyone had stuck to rockwool, which was absolutely standard insulation until about 10 years ago.

Sound insulation is best achieved through mass; plasterboard is a cheap way of doing this, or mass loaded vinyl curtain for your garage door.
Daniel S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daniel S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 6:48pm
Bass traps will only help with the acoustics within the room but will do very little about the sound escaping the room. Same thing with egg cartons or acoustic foam.

Adding mass is always a good idea to help with sound proofing. Adding a couple of extra layers of plasterboard to a wall will make a big difference. Then there are special compounds for attaching said plasterboards that are supposed to help even more. One such product is Green glue, https://www.greengluecompany.com/.
Distortion is evil
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 7:04pm
As Daniel S said mass is a big factor, but with mass comes the consumption of space.

Rockwood is good at absorbing but the lower the frequency the more is needed to be effective.

A good way of adding mass is to use something like this (a 10kg is also available)

Using it in a wall or celling construction would be-
rockwool in joists/rafters
sound block plasterboard (jointed and taped)
rubber barrier mat
sound block plasterboard (jointed and taped)
acoustic treatment

jointing and taping helps keep everything tight and locked also maintains air isolation.

Ideally having structural isolation will help reduce resonance through the structure, neoprene isolation foam can be used on framing the contacts the main structure.

Acoustic treatment is separate from the isolation and would require its own action plan.

Edited by dlyxover - 28 October 2020 at 9:44am
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 8:24pm
Thanks for all the replies so far. I will have a proper read through them now. 

I just noticed my second post didnt come up, anyway heres what i said: I have just made a big thick hanging blanket out of "moving blankets" its well heavy and 6 blankets thick. I was hoping this combined with other methods for the door would help. Its screwed to a length of 4x2 which you can see sits on the lintel bricks.

I was wondering if it would be worth putting anything on the actual garage door itself? As when outside the garage door, even with just my minirig speaker and minirig sub on (average volume) you can feel the door vibrations if you put your hand on it. Obviously can still hear stuff outside at the moment as theres nothing stopping it coming out the roof yet. Would it be worth sticking something directly to the garage door do you think? 

Something like this perhaps?

Edited by Jack1991 - 26 October 2020 at 8:27pm
APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 October 2020 at 8:35pm
I have used this on two occasions:

https://ibb.co/xDZVyLR

It is called Acousticel, but other people make it too.

It is a sheet about 20mm thick made from recycled rubber "crumbs" glued
together.

Very dense.

Used a sheet of it screwed across a door frame (to achieve an air gap between the frame and the door), to reduce sound transmission through a door.

Also used it on a wall, sandwiched between plasterboard, as shown in the diagram below.

https://ibb.co/r3Ss9zq

In both cases I was really impressed with the results.
 Post Reply Post Reply