Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > New Projects Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

3d printed unity horn

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 3d printed unity horn
    Posted: 28 October 2020 at 9:40pm
Not done anything with hornresp for years and always wanted to build a unity horn so decided to give it a go now I have a 3d printer Big smile

The drivers I am looking at using are faital pro 6fe100, faital pro 3fe25 and a 1.4" p audio comp I already have.

I started off with the Synergy Calc V5 by Bill Waslo

Do you think this frequency response will work out? I was struggling to get rid of the dip at 7-800.

Cemetery Sounds
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 11:00pm
2x 10" not an option instead of the 4x 6"?
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 October 2020 at 11:09pm
It's something I could give a go, the 6" drivers only just fit in the space so would need to make the whole thing longer

I have used a lot of parameters in the model so in theory I can update things easily, although when I did it before it broke something near the start that ended up breaking everything haha

Cemetery Sounds
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2020 at 4:01pm
About 30 hours worth of printing later...

I'm currently printing more bits for it. Was thinking of getting something softer than wood for the sides to prototype it before building it properly.
Cemetery Sounds
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2020 at 9:28pm
your dip at 700-800hz is caused by the reflection from the throat approx 25cm away from the bass driver taps.  I wouldn't worry too much about it though as at this point the mids have strong output.  You could move the tap points closer to the throat to push it up in frequency but this will cause more disruption to the HF.
Jo bg View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jo bg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2020 at 11:52am
Hi
Maybe you know allready but hornresp can simulate multiple entry horns.
You need to activate two pages for mid and bass (MEH 1 and 2 instead of OD) then do a normal ND page for compression driver and horn definition.
A multiple entry horn wizard will then appear in the options on the ND page input screen.

Nice work! How rigid is your 3d print? Maybe think about reinforcing it with something on the outside to dampen it a bit. 3d printed horns I have seen where much lighter than production horns.

Look into xps sheets to prototype panels quickly, but don't put too much power into it. Many xps builds on diyaudio.
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 November 2020 at 10:21pm
Thanks, I didn't know you could do that. I will look into it Smile

I have been printing for a fair while. difficult to know the scale of things before they are printed haha. It also weighs a ton already.

It seems to be strong enough for the moment, using a fair bit on infil and perimiters.

This is where I am so far.

Been having some reliability issues with my printer as well so ordered a new much nicer one that should be able to print faster and better quality.
Cemetery Sounds
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 10:32am
This is pretty awsome, what size bed does your printer have?is it glued together as well as screwed?
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 11:16am
220 x 220 I have had a split it up into a lot of different pieces haha

Currently just a test fitting but I will glue it together when I have printed it all. I have ordered some stronger filament for it as well.

I tried simming it as a multi entry horn last night, had a larger dip above 600hz so will see how it sounds but might need a bit of a redesign.
Cemetery Sounds
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 November 2020 at 1:44pm
it's supposed to have a dip - helps filter out harmonic distortion. maybe make your bass taps a bit smaller and have them as close the corners as possible. mid taps possibly too small.

Edited by snowflake - 10 November 2020 at 1:47pm
immortal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote immortal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 11:37am
I have finally finished the prototype Big smile 

Some of it is taped together because I didn't put all the bolts in and snapped part of it haha.

All run from 12v. I will redo the wiring and put it in something haha

I am going to move the bass ports more towards the edge, this was as close as I could get with them being a circle. I will either go with them being a slot or triangle. I will potentially try making the mid ports larger as well after taking some measurements.

My audio interface broke so is currently with Thomann so can't take any measurements until I get it back unfortunately.
Cemetery Sounds
Meat Substitute View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 11:08pm
This is awesome. Keep it up :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>