Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Painting/Staining PVC cable....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Painting/Staining PVC cable....
    Posted: 19 November 2020 at 10:44pm
has anyone ever had any success making coloured sheaf PVC cable black, without it being flakey/change its ability to coil/be used as a portable product?

Got a potentially great deal on a load of yellow festoon (110v type stuff) which id like to colour black. Its only for use on my own land, but still needs to be pretty!
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
dlyxover View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dlyxover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 11:27pm
heat shrink?
or braid?

involves disassembling tho 
In the Truth there is no news, and in the News there is no truth
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2020 at 11:56pm
Originally posted by dlyxover dlyxover wrote:

heat shrink?
or braid?

involves disassembling tho 

Festoon lamp holders are usually moulded onto the cable. I imagine the length involved would rule out heatshrink on a cost basis anyway.

If I had to colour yellow cable black, I would be looking for PVC tape wide enough to go around the cable length ways and try and do 1m + at a time.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 6:33am
Colour it in with a sharpie. That should keep you occupied until this crappy year is over....
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 7:16am
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Colour it in with a sharpie. That should keep you occupied until this crappy year is over....

LOL LOL LOL Clap LOL LOL LOL

Or - surely your spray paint in a can would do it?

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:46am
How about black vinyl loom wrap? Wont turn into a sticky mess in time either. 
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 10:30am
Has it got to be flexible or is it being permanently installed?

I was thinking black tyre paint. Might be dearer than the cable though!
Kevin

North Staffordshire

APC321 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APC321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 1:52pm
Pesonally I would pass on the deal for the yellow festoon cable.

Over the years I have installed a lot of signal/speaker cable into venues.
Occasionally without my knowledge parts of the cables have been painted by the venue owner (generally water based paint). Never bothered me that much so long as being paid.

But when the time came to pull the cabling out and clean it, the parts that had been painted always looked "rough" whatever you did with it. Never threw the cable away, but kept it and re-used for uses where it could be hidden (inside roof voids for example).

I am sure that better deals will come along.
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 4:00pm
yeah i gave up already. The guy has unrealistic pricing in his head. Was going to use it to light our land & a cowshed.... The tech in me cant be doing with yellow cable though, its terribly highways maintenance LOL
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

Digbethdave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digbethdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2020 at 8:49pm
Would of just got some tins of graff paint, it's cheap as chips, and would work for your application 
bitSmasher View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bitSmasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2020 at 8:59am
Vinyl Dye would work - you can buy it in cans for restoring car seats and whatever. 
Since it's a dye, not a paint, so it's as durable as the base material... but the headache is applying it! I've sprayed white power cable with blue vinyl dye as an experiment, it looked good but there was so much wastage with overspray it's not economical 
https://www.instagram.com/batteryacidsoundsystem/
mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2020 at 11:33pm
got a lump of chunky knotty green festoon for £15 instead.... that'll do!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>