Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What grade of ply for amp rack wheelboards?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What grade of ply for amp rack wheelboards?
    Posted: 21 November 2020 at 5:01pm
Greetings all,

I'm looking for the grade of plywood which is normally used to make wheelboards.
It doesn't need to be birch, that's overkill and too expensive. Deffo not MDF which clearly isn't ply anyway...

What have members used previously? Can you point me at the right type please?

Cheers Smile
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 5:39pm
A recently made 5-Star Cases board uses black stained 12mm hardwood throughout plywood (as opposed to mere hardwood faced).  No complaints with the quality, I added a coat of varnish for longevity.

I use 18mm birch ply for my own dolly boards and wheelboards, then warnex and griptape.  If you've got speaker plywood lying about, buying cheaper wood for one job isn't such a saving.

Edited by I-shen Soundboy - 21 November 2020 at 5:40pm
dj jammin View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dj jammin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 5:54pm
B&q or wickes 18mm ply will be fine for the job of wheel boards etc.. cost around 35 a sheet but they do cut it up for free if they have a saw at your branch.. made my current amp rack from 12mm cheapish ply braced and reinforced at the corners/joins/handles etc.. has been great so far and really light without the amps in it..
Reverence Sound system

mk2_ginger_biscuit69 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mk2_ginger_biscuit69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 6:34pm
might get away with shuttering ply from a builders merchant. the last 12mm stuff i bought was about £12.50/sheet. Probably the same kind of grade B&Q etc sell as 'ply'.
''Remember that the object of a subwoofer is to enhance the output of your main speakers, not overpower it''

''Dubstep - an elongated electronic fart''
jacethebase View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jacethebase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 7:35pm
18mm birch is the only option in my eyes.
www.wedding-production.co.uk

www.stage2sound.com
Robbo View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2020 at 11:25pm
I always used to coat our wheelboards in a few coats of matt varnish as it gives them good strong protection and also stops the edges from splintering and causing injuries when stacking cases.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2020 at 12:46pm
i'd leave at least one side not black. bit of a trip hazard in poorly lit places otherwise.
Boxes-R-Blue View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boxes-R-Blue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2020 at 12:09am
Originally posted by jacethebase jacethebase wrote:

18mm birch is the only option in my eyes.

Yep... 

given the cost of 4 castors, anything less is a joke!
Kinda Been there, Kinda done that, YOU COULDN'T handle my bar bill!
 Post Reply Post Reply