Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Computer Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows XP !!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows XP !!
    Posted: 04 December 2020 at 11:01pm
Yes folks - I have a scenario whereby I want to install Windows XP on a old PC !!
The PC does not get used on the internet _at all_

Now I can install xp with a valid (legal, in fact !!) product key .... but it seems there's now NO WAY to activate the damn thing. I hear M$ shut down the server that activates XP :-/

So - don't suppose anyone has any tricks to get around this ? Obviously I've googled a fair bit, but nothing reliable comes up .... if there _are_ any tricks, I'm thinking M$'s travelling bots may have  deleted/hidden them.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
spongebob View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spongebob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2020 at 11:04pm
Phone the activation line telephone number.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 1:26am
Haven't done that myself, but I'm reliably informed that doesn't work ... and if you hold to try and get a human (well, a M$ pseudo-human trained monkey) they just say "can't help you".

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
KDW32 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KDW32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 11:41am
you could go find yourself a copy of XP black edition make sure it doesn't come with free malware. 

Option B here might help  you 
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 2:21pm
Is there any reason you just cannot install Windows 7 x64 instead?

Then all these un-necessary headaches go away.

Especially if you buy Dell PC with Windows 7 COA Certificate.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Is there any reason you just cannot install Windows 7 x64 instead?

Then all these un-necessary headaches go away.

Especially if you buy Dell PC with Windows 7 COA Certificate.

Not always possible, I have an old Alienware laptop that won’t reliably run anything newer than Vista, Win 7 can be installed on it but due to lack of Win 7 drivers for the touch bar the thing becomes totally unstable…. BSOD city!!

Also, some software tools still require 16bit support and won’t run on anything newer than XP, this is common with industrial PLC and motor drive/inverter commissioning software, all my machines all have an XP vm on them for this reason.

Late last year I installed a brand new Schneider servo drive on an industrial punch, the drive's commissioning software still required XP to run. Confused

Edited by APW - 05 December 2020 at 3:16pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2020 at 11:03pm
I used to always build my own PCs, then frig XP onto them for free.

Then I discovered DELL ex Corp PCs and COA  Certificates, auto SLIC activation.

My main machines are Ubuntu LTS, have 2x DELL  laptops running Windows 10.

Life so much easier now.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2020 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by APW APW wrote:

Also, some software tools still require 16bit support and won’t run on anything newer than XP, this is common with industrial PLC and motor drive/inverter commissioning software, all my machines all have an XP vm on them for this reason.

^^^ This. There are still quite a few pieces of industrial machinery that require this .... (as well as often needing a RS232 port).

How can M$ be sooo ignorant and stupid as to just pull the plug like this ? I mean yeah from their POV, they might wanna plaster warnings all over it, but why not just leave that server running ???

Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2020 at 4:18pm
Can potentially sort you a HP machine that you could put XP on

Just let me know :) 
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

Can potentially sort you a HP machine that you could put XP on

Thanks for the offer ... but that scenario has gone away now. Had to bite the bullet and organise a somwewhat newer machine that can take win7 32-bit. Thats gonna have diferent hassles though :-/

Just curious though - what did you jave in mind ? PC with the original OEM XP disk ? Still not sure if that would actually activate at the time of install ... and then there'd be a possibillty of it wanting to re-activate if any hardware changes are made. Pah !

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 3:12pm
I would imagine, someone could pick up DELL i5 desktop, with Windows 7 COA for approx £70.

Just give it 8gb ram, and 240gb SSD, and it will run Win 10 x64 decently.

Could buy internal pcie serial card, and good possibility XP Compatibility mode under Win 10, allow XP apps to run.

Edited by levyte357- - 08 December 2020 at 3:17pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2020 at 6:52pm

XP Compatibility mode cannot run 16bit binaries on 64bit versions of windows as they don’t support WOW16.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>