Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MC2 E45 amp ability to power 2 ohm circuit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MC2 E45 amp ability to power 2 ohm circuit
    Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:08am
Hi all,

Yesterday I also made a post in the scoop forum for driver recommendations where we're deciding to go for 2x 8ohm or 2x 4ohm drivers for our hog scoops (so resistance of circuit becomes 2 or 4 ohm respectively). The amp that we will use is the MC2 E45, which according to the spec sheet should be able to power a 2ohm circuit with a max output power of 4200W. Now this seems more appealing than a 4ohm circuit which has a max power output of 2500W. 

Many times I read that 2 ohm is not good for the amp etc. but can anyone explain why this is? If the spec sheet says the amp supports 2 ohm circuits, then what would hold us back from utilising that? I've been reading up on it but I can't really find a definitive explanation. We've been discussing this topic with the people of our soundsystem but we don't really know what to do (we don't have a lot of experience). If anyone could shine a light on this that would be really helpful!

Cheers
Sinai Sound View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:17am
2ohm playing aggressively loud 40hz?

or 2ohm playing 10khz at low volume ... 

Both are quite a different load on an amplifier, but both are "2ohm"

(also before the nerds get at me, that's 2ohm nominal, very much aware it changes with frequency etc etc )
Lillike_natnek View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:23am
Guess leaning more towards the former, as it should handle the power of two hog scoops at max volume (I'd say 35 - 80/100Hz)
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:35am
Being on this forum for several years, I learned one thing.
There is definately a different understanding in sound when it comes to different music genres.
Personally I would not bother about the last 2dB (its a very small difference).
If you really want that extra, you would be better of with more cabs imho.

What kind of music is it actually?

And yes, the E45 could handle 2 Ohm loads (with the test conditions specified in the manual), however, I would not run it that way for different reasons like durability etc. Heavy 2 Ohm load will require more current which then results in more heat. 

PS: if you're after a transformer amp, I have a Infinite 7v2 for sale. Not a 8v2 but it can do for some occasions.

Edited by smitske96 - 10 December 2020 at 10:37am
cravings View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cravings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:38am
if your car is sold as being capable of 150mph, you probably shouldn't drive it at that speed all the time.. cos it'll start to wear out.
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:41am
Driving the amp at 2 ohms will shorten it's life by years. And as hinted above, any gain you think you are getting is destroyed by power compression.

Stick to 8 ohm drivers - and you could then, at some point, add another cab per side without over-stressing the amp - which is far better. 

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:49am
Powersoft K10 / K20 will do this. Ran it like this in anger many many times until upgrading to X8. 

Void Inf8 v2 will do it on a decent supply (seen peaks of 40a on the front doing what you're asking, "2ohm" load per side), but also probably pop fuses internally, again seen it happen.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinai Sound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 10:52am
This was a 4 x 8ohm drivers per side (so 2ohm nominal), running the frequency you want to play, at loud volumes

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 11:06am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

What kind of music is it actually?

And yes, the E45 could handle 2 Ohm loads (with the test conditions specified in the manual), however, I would not run it that way for different reasons like durability etc. Heavy 2 Ohm load will require more current which then results in more heat. 

PS: if you're after a transformer amp, I have a Infinite 7v2 for sale. Not a 8v2 but it can do for some occasions.

Mixed genres basically, mostly dub/dnb/techno I'd say.

Could you explain what a transformer could mean for us in this scenario?

Originally posted by cravings cravings wrote:

if your car is sold as being capable of 150mph, you probably shouldn't drive it at that speed all the time.. cos it'll start to wear out.

That makes sense LOL

Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Driving the amp at 2 ohms will shorten it's life by years. And as hinted above, any gain you think you are getting is destroyed by power compression. 

Stick to 8 ohm drivers - and you could then, at some point, add another cab per side without over-stressing the amp - which is far better.  

Yeah that sounds like a solid plan for the future. But then for future expansion we could also have gone for 2x 4Ohm drivers per channel instead of 2x 8 ohm drivers. But reading all the other comments I guess we should waive that idea. It just sounded attractive as the output power is higher but I'm starting to understand that this is just bad for the amp.

Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

Powersoft K10 / K20 will do this. Ran it like this in anger many many times until upgrading to X8.

I'm afraid that's a bit out of our budget haha. I guess moral of the story is that we should not go for a 2ohm nominal circuit. Did your void amps survive that current? 

Edited by Lillike_natnek - 10 December 2020 at 11:06am
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 11:21am
Do you already have the hog and the other cabs? If no, I would advise you to look at the latest paraflex options. More and more designs are getting tested, and look really promising. Btw they also have various kick designs if needed.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lillike_natnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 11:27am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

Do you already have the hog and the other cabs? If no, I would advise you to look at the latest paraflex options. More and more designs are getting tested, and look really promising. Btw they also have various kick designs if needed.

Yes we've got all cabs already. Only need to put drivers in our hogs, the rest is all done. Never heard/read about paraflex cabinets yet, got some links to read up about?
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 12:08pm
There is a whole dedicated forum on fb (if you have fb). 
I can send you the link if you want.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>