Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MC2 E45 amp ability to power 2 ohm circuit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 1:05pm
" It just sounded attractive as the output power is higher"

Yes - it can be difficult to understand that more power might actually not lead to more SPL. Far better to add square inches (or centimeters) of cone!   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2020 at 2:03pm
When you look at the full spec sheet you can see that this amp should be able to deal with 2 ohm load as the power output per channel has only reduced to 4100W even with a crest factor of only 2.8.

The choice of whether to run at 2ohms then comes down to how important maximizing the service life of the amp is for you compared to getting the most possible output power out of the amp.  The amplifier is rated for it but your still doubling the current in the output transistors and running parts hotter.  You could always run 6*8ohm drivers off each amp for 2.67 ohm per channel as a compromise.

To bother with 4ohm drivers to me is more about the driver than the amp, if its a super high performance 21" driver with a 6" coil you might want to consider 4ohm just to get the most out of the driver but if its just an average 18" 4" coil driver then the driver will already be thermally compressing and there will not be much gain by the potential doubled power on the voice coil (apart from a cooked driver).

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Sinai Sound Sinai Sound wrote:

This was a 4 x 8ohm drivers per side (so 2ohm nominal), running the frequency you want to play, at loud volumes

One of the rare moments, Speakerplans Amp Forum, brings a smile to your face. LOL

EDIT : Would be very skeptical about MC2 E45, having the nuts, to pull 35A off the mains, even though it has higher rated output, at 2 ohms, than Inf 8 MK2..

Hmmm...

Edited by levyte357- - 04 May 2022 at 11:05am
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 12:46pm
Correct, the infinite 8 MK2 is a far superior arc welder.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by csg csg wrote:

Correct, the infinite 8 MK2 is a far superior arc welder.

Are you saying the MC2 E45 is a fantastic beast, that can produce power, without sucking current from the wall !?

I've "PERSONALLY" seen Powersoft K20, suck 34.9A from the wall, while powering 4x 8 ohm subs, so that amp is exempt from this type of argument, forever !!!

LOL
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 5:05pm
Quite the reverse. The E45 will play music just fine. Want to rinse every last dB out of your dynamic range? Stick with the void.

Why anyone is interested in balls out performance into 2R both channels sub is beyond me. Power is cheap these days, go with something with plenty of voltage and keep to 8R. 
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
al_x View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote al_x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 6:40pm
I recently borrowed a friends E45 to power two B&C 18ds115 on sub. It managed 6 hours in a hot room, 4ohm bridge on a 13a plug quite happily (playing drum and bass and jungle so a lot of long sustained bass notes)
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2022 at 12:39pm
Returning to this page, as E45s are regularly popping up at reasonable price.

But the question still remains, can the MC2 E45, out perform the Void Infinite 8MK2, on sub notes !?

And for all the 2 ohm haters out there, let us not forget.

A typical Horn loaded 18" Sub enclosure, with nominal 8 ohm driver, in reality, will measure approx 10-12 ohms.

Same with 4 ohm driver, will measure as approx 5-6x ohms.

So 4x cabs loaded with "8 ohm" drivers per side of an amp, will not be 2 ohms,
Neither will will 2x cabs loaded with " 4 ohm drivers", per side of an amp.

Now that is out of the way, an Infinite 8MK2, can power 2x "4 ohm" 18NLW9601 drivers per channel effortlessly, from 38hz to 100hz.

Question is, can the MC2 E45 do the same, given the higher power rating !?

Edited by levyte357- - 30 November 2022 at 12:41pm
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 1:51pm
Just quickly.

We have some OLD Peavey CS model amps, the 1000 and the 1300, and the PV2000.

All will play 2R, bass, all night, at close to max.. with no problem.
Ok, not at 4odd kilowatt, and I'm sure others have reservations about the brand, or the age, 
but, I'd say, you've a much better chance, mainly, of 2R stability, with toroids.. 

csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 3:23pm
Have you ever heard of headroom and dynamic range? Sure, old linear amps can offer plenty of constant power, indeed quite often more continuous power than todays high power lightweights, but no dynamic range if operated at close to their max power all the time as you describe.
If your chosen music has no such dynamics then carry on. For everyone else, having modern amps with their very much greater, if brief, output voltage capabilities is a major boon to sound quality.

Take it from someone who was operating sound systems when your peavey amps were state of the art, Sound systems have come on a long way in that time!

And, no, 30 odd year old amplifiers of any type will not be as reliable into a 2 ohm load as a similar, new amplifier of similar quality. 
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 3:36pm
of course i have pal.
im not advocating just whacking all the pots to 5 o clock and redlining. of course not. and im not entirely sure where you got no headroom or dynamics when i just said "close to max"... of course, allow for enough range. but i thought that went without saying mate. so i didnt.
also, i mentioned that i find toroids more reliable.. didnt mention age.  

and id not suggest anyone else buy 30 yr old amps.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 December 2022 at 3:37pm
I agree with you Chris, 30x year old Peavey amps are not in the Equation.

Neither would a QSC PL9, even with all its power and sub warmth, but hoping it will survive each gig.

On FB, many have said E45 is very disappointing on sub, definitely wont meet rated power below 60hz, so that is that.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>