Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help needed, could it be you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help needed, could it be you?
    Posted: 02 January 2021 at 8:21pm
Hi Speakerplans.com,

Happy new year!

I'm looking for some help, I run parties with a couple of friends and we play a big mixture of everything, however it's mainly disco, house, jazz etc but nothing is out of bounds when it comes to selections.

We're looking to own our own system for our parties and make them an integral and signature part of our setup instead of hiring systems. We would love the audiophile Klipschorn, hi-fi sound, however we need it to be as versatile as a great quality P.A and not compromising on sound quality. The system would have to be mobile so we can use it in different venues and hopefully in tents at festivals too.

We would like it to be suitable for 200 people as we're an intimate affair, but with the ability to cater to 300 people if some scaling up was required. We also play mainly vinyl but some digital too and use an E&S mixer, we're also based in the U.K.

I have been told that A.S.S. Systems by Tony Rossell would be a great fit for us, but sadly it looks like he may have retired. Is there any brands or builders out there that I should be trying to get in touch with? Do you have any suggestions as to what I should be looking for on the second hand market? Is there any companies or individuals who may be able to point me in the right direction?

I appreciate this is all quite open ended but any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 3:53pm
You did open a can of worms indeed :) there are quite a few philosophies regarding sound systems around, and depending from which one you came from will form your base. 

May i ask why you mention the Klipschhorn? this is to be honest quit a bad and very dated design which is hot in a niche of hifi-afficionados but won't cut it when used in anger with many patrons. But while i type this many people will also tell this about the JBL 4530 whis i am a big fan of.. 

And while you did mention the mixer what is the rest of your signal chain? Klipschhorn and E&S also screams boutique analogue paths and such but that is just how i feel about it. And what is your budget, and how do you care about aestetics? Ist 300 patrons who like a fair and balanced volume or 200 who like to feel their kidneys move to the bass, what is your budget etc. etc. every answer will bring new questions. 

At the moment quite some companies are on the brink of tipping over due to the fact 2021 will also remain abnormal so take a good look around and more: if you know a company in need, buy first from them instead of waiting for the sollicitors take over, it will be good for your karma but also makes quite a difference in price if your lucky :) 

Martin audio W8, nexo alpha and other hornloaded systems, but also meyersound msl systems from around 1995/2000 are coming onto the second hand market fairly quickly at the moment and this is a nice piece of kit, sand it down to bare wood, laquer it and have a neat looking vintage rig with balls. but remember buying the speakers is half of your money. amps and processing is the other half and might be even more important, 10.000 euro will buy you a great rig which has more than enough power for 300+ heads. 

Edited by Bams - 03 January 2021 at 4:08pm
billll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2021 at 9:53pm
I mention Klipschorn as I've heard 4 of them used in a party setup and the sound quality was incredible. There seems to be a few bars/venues in London now who are using them, however when I first heard them in a party environment it was via the Lucky Cloud Sound System. I understand they're also very reliant on the room they're in, which is why I've heard them in other places and they didn't sound at all impressive.

Regarding the rest of the signal chain, so far it's technics 1200's, either Orotofon Concorde MKII Club or Audio Technica XP7 Cart & Headshell which is everything we have so far. We are open to advice on the rest of the chain, we have heard the Klipsch's sound great with Sugden amps, but again this requires more research before making a decision.

We'd like it to be a balanced sound but for the bass to be prominent, ideally the hifi quality with a PA quality and punch. We play a variety of music and some of it really does require a good scoop if you're going to get the best out of it. Aesthetics are a bonus but not at all a must, the sound has to be the priority. We're hoping to spend £10k.

What would you be looking for in our position?

MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 7:00pm
If you pick inside of the Klipsh Lascala horns and see the driver used in them, you will be very disappointed.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2021 at 7:52pm
I read up about the system you mentioned and its greatly inspired/designed by david mancuso who also inspired the early disco systems by Levan and such. Despacio soundsystem also followed his book. If you look in the forum you’ll find a topic about the old ministey of dance sound system which is a decendant of this line, like a grandson or such to the klipschhorn systems but it will give you quite some inspiration for a more bassheavy hifi system. But in all honesty these systems based around klipschhorns and such are quite nice but are hifi on steroids with all its shortcomings... always had the feeling the black basscabs on the despacio systems were an aftertought after a tryout :) for example.

But with all its shortcomings for modern produced music i really would dig a rig of jbl 2360s with modern drivers on jbl 4520s .. just as retro/boutique but great for these kind of gigs. 

Edited by Bams - 04 January 2021 at 8:01pm
billll View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2021 at 9:45pm
I've heard the Klipschorn in a party environment as it's used by the Lucky Cloud Sound System and the sound is phenomenal. However, I've heard it used by a different crew in a completely different setup and it lost all of its wow factor.

In regards to the rest of the signal chain we'd need guidance, so far source wise we have Technics 1200 & 1210 turntables with Audio Technica AT-XP7 & Ortofon Concorde MKII Clubs. We haven't decided on crossover, amps etc.

Aesthetics are a bonus but not an absolute must, the most important thing is sound. Balanced sound is the more important however we'd still like there to be a little bit of kidney rumble. Budget is around £10k.

What would you be looking for on the second hand market if you had this budget?
 Post Reply Post Reply