Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Way to Paint a Soundsystem?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam_Avantí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Way to Paint a Soundsystem?
    Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:39am
Easy gang,

Soon I will be painting 6 x custom WSX and 3 x custom F215 MKIII's.

Also got 4 x W8C I want to paint.

The WSX and F215's are 18mm ply.

W8C is original.

I am going to keep the WSX and F215's the original ply wood look on the outside, what will the best way be to protect the wood, varnish/lacquer? 

And then I want to paint the accentuations, what is the best paint for this application?

Cheers

Sam
Stay Toasty
Sam_Avantí View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam_Avantí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:44am
Also, best method of painting? Spray? Brush?

Stay Toasty
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 1:16pm
Problem with laquer is the fact it scratches so easy but also looks best... i stained the wood and after that applied some wax mixed with ash to give it a bit worn look. Scratches arent really notable that way but its a bit of a cheap trick :)
Danielr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danielr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2021 at 11:35pm
Depends what you want to do, - if you're planning on installing them somewhere where they'll never move, vs wanting a a finish that stands up to being loaded into/out of vans throughout their life.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam_Avantí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:15am
Will be touring, in and out of vans a lot... so needs to be hard wearing 
Stay Toasty
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Sam_Avantí Sam_Avantí wrote:

Will be touring, in and out of vans a lot... so needs to be hard wearing 

Then make covers for the speakers.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam_Avantí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 12:24pm
What do you mean?
Stay Toasty
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 January 2021 at 1:18pm
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2021 at 2:08pm
If its touring, its hard work to maintain them with wood finish, but it can be done, re: Elektrikal and Elusive sound system's, speak to them and get the pro's and cons, both similar to what your talking about specifically Elusive, Ive heard Ryan talk about the horror stories of trying to maintain his wood finish throughout touring the system though, he uses clear tuff cab as far as I know but best to speak to them, not sure what Elektrical use but their system always seems well maintained and tours a lot.
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2021 at 2:13pm
As for just painting them, it depends on budget and how much hassle you want really, the most durable stuff as far as i know is stuff like truck bed liner like Raptor paint which ive heard good things about but not used myself, you can get them LineX'd but I don't think that's something you can do yourself and its expensive,

For ease of application , personally I just use Tuffcab and have a handy tin to touch it up when needed, water based , although i know its not the best, Warnex is supposed to be better afaik

Aiming to get Raptor painted myself but no funds atm

If your only using the paint on accentuations (such as bracing) its not going to see a lot of wear so personally id just tuffcab and touch it up when necessary

Edited by Requiem - 12 January 2021 at 2:19pm
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
I-shen Soundboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I-shen Soundboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2021 at 3:14pm
...and let us not forget to mention the poor man's pro choice Warnex.

Anout four times the price of tuff-cab, but lasts longer without touch ups and is very safe to apply.

Looks good with a roller.
Looks fantastic with a spray gun.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2021 at 3:33pm

About 6 years ago I was given 5ltsr of Coo-Var water based black Acrylic floor paint and I painted my subs with it, its cheaper than Warnex… at about the same time I repainted my tops with Warnex, the Coo-Var needs longer to fully harden than Warnex but once fully hardened the Coo-Var seems to mark less than the Warnex and is easier to touch up when it does get marked.

When dry the Coo-var paint and Warnex look almost identical.

The Coo-Var paint is also available as a 2-pac product.... the 2-pac is avaliable in clear.

the paint in the image above is the water based Coo-Var floor paint was applied with a roller about 6 years ago.

https://www.coo-var.co.uk/products/floor-sport-and-line-marking/acrylic-floor-paint

Edited by APW - 12 January 2021 at 3:54pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>