Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Selling a mixer to Brazil?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Selling a mixer to Brazil?
    Posted: 17 January 2021 at 4:40pm
Have put a Soundcraft FX16ii mixer up for sale and been contacted by a guy in Brazil...

I'm not keen on selling audio gear outside the UK so wondering about other member's experiences if they've done this.

This guy says he'll 'send a UPS postman to my home to deliver payment in cash and collect the parcel'.
Yeah, right...
I know UPS, FedEx and other international couriers offer a range of services but I've never used them for sending any item abroad before. It seems very unlikely any one of them would operate like this.

Then there's customs clearance, fees etc..

I don't want to waste time looking at all this if it's a lot of hassle...

Opinions, thoughts appreciated.

Cheers,  Steve/soundscape
Abbey Audio
Nottingham

Edited by Soundscape - 17 January 2021 at 4:41pm
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2021 at 6:47pm
Im fairly certain ( but happy to be corrected) that UPS actually do offer a service where they will handle the payment on behalf of the buyer. 
They certainly offer a service where the buyer pays cash on delivery.

Once you have been paid in cash and UPS have collected its really not your problem any more!
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2021 at 6:52pm
As long as the cash looks genuine..
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
woody2 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 January 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

As long as the cash looks genuine..

JBK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JBK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2021 at 11:33am
There is a well known scam scheme with this kind of transactions (item paid by the courier when he collects it)
-> agree on the delivery mode, give some personnal information (phone email, etc)
-> you receive a false mail from the courier (not really coming from the courier) saying that you should pay some sort of insurance upfront, and explaining that the insurance sum will be given back to you with the item payment, in cash, by the courier. They can call you or whatever to appear more legit / convincing.
Of course if you pay that "insurance" you will never hear from the courier or the "buyer" again.

Not saying that it has to be a scam, it may be genuine, also I think most people would detect the scam when receiving the mail (coming from an adress like ups-security@gmail.com and not from the ups domain) and would not pay that "insurance", but just so you know, that exists.

EDIT : also nothing to do with the buyer being in Brasil, I've seen those scam on french 2nd hand sales website, the scammers may of course be based on another country and use a fake identity, but usually for maximizing the chances of scam they try to appear from the same country of origin.

Edited by JBK - 18 January 2021 at 12:10pm
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2021 at 12:21pm
Yes - beware of scams.

A couple of years ago, someone (in the UK) contacted me about something I had for sale - and offered to pay via PayPal. I then received a mail, supposedly from PP comfirming the payment, but on checking, I realised that the email was fake! Very well done, tho'.   Shocked

So beware of transfers, money orders, or anything other than cash in hand!

Edited by Earplug - 18 January 2021 at 12:21pm
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Soundscape View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2021 at 12:15pm
Thank you folks for your advice, much appreciated SmileSmileSmileSmile

Steve
Abbey Audio
Nottingham
 Post Reply Post Reply