Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Ported Enclosures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative driver for P Audio DIY/115s plans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2021 at 3:29pm
Proper Birch if you think you're at all likely to stick in a serious driver at any point in the future, IMO.

If you imagine you'll be happy with lower output long term, then maybe cheaper wood, though if that were the case you could have saved on including quite such a huge vent.

FWIW,
David.
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 10:05am
Going okay so far, balanced the panels together and it looks like a speaker!

Edited by sarsen1 - 05 February 2021 at 10:11am
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2021 at 1:24pm
Looking good so far! Thumbs Up
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 March 2021 at 2:37pm
Finally got round to finishing these (need some more screws in the grills), very pleased with how they ended up and glad I have completed my first speaker build. Only tested in my little studio but pleasantly surprised with the £60 300w p-audio. Interested to see how they would sound with better drivers for stand alone use in a PA style.

Thanks DMorison for sharing your knowledge, spending the time doing dims and putting the plan together!

Edited by sarsen1 - 19 March 2021 at 2:37pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2021 at 1:32pm
Hey, you're welcome.
Looks like good work finishing up the boxes, I'm glad they sound good to you so far.
Obviously, when you do get to push them harder will be the real test, but they should at least get you by for a bit with that driver.
Assuming you do grow out of them at some point, the large port is ready to take considerably more output from a beefier driver, so you don't have to replace the whole box.
Cheers,
David.
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2022 at 4:01pm
Sorry to dig up an old post but its driver upgrade time, do you think this box would work well with Oberton 15XB700?
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2022 at 4:09pm
Hi again, hope the boxes have served you well so far.

That Oberton isn't an ideal match, unfortunately: it's really optimised for a smaller box than this.
That means it'll have a peaky response at the bottom of its range. While that can be EQ'd, there is a school of though that peaky responses like this also go hand in hand with slower, sloppier bass, to use subjective terms. I haven't personally tested this, but I'm a bit reluctant to endorse an alignment that may have that problem.

Assuming that driver indicates your preferred budget, there are a few other options that should give similar output (ie 3-4dB more than your current drivers) with less (or no) risk of that peakiness causing a "slow" response.

The Celestion & 18 Sound have a slight risk of peakiness but as it's only ~1/2 the amount of the Oberton my gut instinct is that it would not really be a problem. They're also the most expensive of this group at approx £245 ea (@ Lean Business), which might be above your target a bit.

The Beyma & Eminence have no hint of the peakiness at all, so should sound very similar to your current drivers when used in the bass range. They're about £210-220 @ Blue Aran so closer to the Oberton.

HTH,
David.
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2022 at 4:27pm
PS, If you can afford to wait a bit there are another couple of drivers that look quite handy in this, from BMS & B&C. They're both reasonably cheap, but Blue Aran are advising longer lead times for them, so not sure if that's any use to you or not.

sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2022 at 5:35pm
Thank you for this, I was going to pick up a pair of new (second hand) obertons tomorrow so will hold fire now!

The B&C 15RBX100 looks worth waiting for, I may have just found another distributor with some too so we shall see.

Thanks!

Edited by sarsen1 - 06 April 2022 at 5:36pm
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2022 at 7:55pm
Good point, I forgot to check JP Leisure, they seem like they might be in stock there, if that's not already the other source you're referring to.
JonB67 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2022 at 7:07am
Get the BMS from leanaudio / lean business. They have then in stock.  Fantastic sounding drivers, you won't regret it.  
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2022 at 3:01pm
Called JP leisure and was the same lead time as Blue Aran for the B&C, so have ordered the BMS from lean business as in stock and reasonable price Big smile thanks for your help. Had a listen to the boxes with the P audio's in again last night and with tops on poles and the two subs in the middle they make a great sound so cant wait to load them with something more substantial! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12