Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Super Scooper front baffle - double up?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Super Scooper front baffle - double up?
    Posted: 11 February 2021 at 10:31pm
Hello and greetings!

First of all sorry if this has been asked here before, I was not able to find the information here (or anywhere else) so here we go:

I am planning to build the "original" Mogale 18" Super Scooper. I heard or read somewhere that it is advised to double up the front baffle to give it more sturdiness. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I have a simple question: If I double up the baffle, do I "stick it onto the front plate" (resulting in the driver reaching not as far into the cabin) or do I put the 2nd sheet inside of the baffle (hereby reducing the front chamber size).
I hope I was able to make myself clear and am looking forward to replies.
Thanks!
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2021 at 5:38am
Double Baffles are definitely a good idea on scoops. Either way to do it that you mentioned will be fine, if you wanted to you could adjust the panel back 9mm so that the extra baffle sticks out 9mm more than normal.

If it was me I would just put the extra panel on the inside as its easiest to work out and will look nicer when the build is finished than putting it on the outside. Remember that 10mm really doesn't make any difference to sub frequencies
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2021 at 9:40am
No need for 36mm driver baffle, 25mm will do it.

Tried it, compared it.

Lot of people use 36mm driver baffle, but fail to adequately brace rest of cab.

Also SS18 chamber is real tight compared to other Scoops, would not reduce it, even further.

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
insguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote insguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2021 at 3:33pm
thanks for your answers!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2021 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by insguy insguy wrote:

thanks for your answers!

Would also say, as said before, the free 18" plan, Mykey gave away here, will excel with many more drivers, and has version with double baffle.

Edited by levyte357- - 17 February 2021 at 3:47pm
king david View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote king david Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 February 2021 at 8:37pm
I know people who put a double baffle on superscoopers to accomodate deeper drivers. To my knowledge it is working Ok with no failures
http://www.warriorcharge.noblogs.org
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 February 2021 at 8:49am
Originally posted by king david king david wrote:

I know people who put a double baffle on superscoopers to accomodate deeper drivers. To my knowledge it is working Ok with no failures

Obviously only worthwhile  if cab deepened.

But Mykey plan has this already.

Edited by levyte357- - 18 February 2021 at 8:51am
heavydub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavydub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 12:09pm
I was about to finish my first superscoop build when I saw this topic. Do you think doubling up the front baffle is absolutely necessary? I'm going to load scoops with V18-1000 drivers.

I have a couple of questions:

Lev said it's better to avoid reducing the chamber size of superscoop. This means that if you want a double baffle, you need to put the extra panel outside (resulting in the driver reaching not as far into the cabin, as insguy stated). Could this thing ruin any sound performance considering Im building standard super scooper, v18 loaded with (potentially) 10mm extra baffle panel?

Also, mr lev said that 25mm is enougth. I have a single front baffle 18mm deep now, with birch ply wood. Should I buy again birch (10mm deep) or maybe I could use another kind of wood for the (potential) second  baffle panel?
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2021 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by heavydub heavydub wrote:

I was about to finish my first superscoop build when I saw this topic. Do you think doubling up the front baffle is absolutely necessary? I'm going to load scoops with V18-1000 drivers.

I have a couple of questions:

Lev said it's better to avoid reducing the chamber size of superscoop. This means that if you want a double baffle, you need to put the extra panel outsideĀ <span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">(resulting in the driver reaching not as far into the cabin, as insguy stated). Could this thing ruin any sound performance considering Im building standard super scooper, v18 loaded with (potentially) 10mm extra baffle panel?</span>
<span style=": rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
Also, mr lev said that 25mm is enougth. I have a single front baffle 18mm deep now, with birch ply wood. Should I buy again birch (10mm deep) or maybe I could use another kind of wood for the (potential) secondĀ  baffle panel?

If you can do it then it does benefit the sound but if you cant do it then don't worry about it, the box will still sound good. The main thing, which is much more important that a double baffle, is to make sure that you properly brace the internal panels to prevent resonances all the way along the horn.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
 Post Reply Post Reply