Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Can I power 2 kicks and 2 subs with a single amp
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I power 2 kicks and 2 subs with a single amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashnatiq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I power 2 kicks and 2 subs with a single amp
    Posted: 22 February 2021 at 9:06pm
Can I power 2 kicks and 2 subs with a single 2 channel amp?
Wired in parallel, subs on one channel and kicks on the other.
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 10:14pm
Yes.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
citizensc View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote citizensc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2021 at 10:45pm
To my understanding an asymmetrical load is no problem at all, it will likely make the power supply's life easier. 
DMorison View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMorison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2021 at 1:49pm
As long as the combined load of each pair of boxes is higher than the minimum load each amp channel can drive, then it will be fine.
However, if the amp is only rated to 4 ohms, don't pair up two 4 ohm boxes per channel as that would be a nominal 2 ohm load and make the amp give up its magic smoke.
njw View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2021 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by citizensc citizensc wrote:

To my understanding an asymmetrical load is no problem at all, it will likely make the power supply's life easier. 

^^This, where possible I won't have dedicated amps for each frequency band, instead I'll run the same type of amp on kicks and sub and have one channel doing sub and the other kick and then do the same with the mid/top amps with one channel on mids and the other on top, I've done things this way for years and it gives a much cleaner and punchier sound to my ears. 
 Post Reply Post Reply