Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V.. how much is possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 12V.. how much is possible?
    Posted: 02 March 2021 at 12:15pm
hi all!

i came across this topic from 2019 and was wondering, what has happened to the project. i'd love to build something very similar... https://forum.speakerplans.com/12-v-simple-system-for-reggae_topic103222_page1.html

for now i don't really have any ideas on how to start. the only thing i know is that i want to build a mini stack on 12V and put it to use outdoors. it will be carried on a bicycle trailer with a maximum capacity of 1608 x 610 mm and 136kg. so plenty of space to fill...

i don't want to become an electrical engineer and keep things as simple as possible. Car Preamps might work for that?

A Tham15 and a Mid Top would be great... but i don't know too much about what is possible and what not... I need a kickstart from someone who has some experience :)

thanks and all the best
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2021 at 2:55pm
Much is possible! MUCH ;)

A Tham15 and a midtop is a pretty good place to start. But, you might want to look at something a little smaller if you're planning to tow it around a lot, and/or use car batteries (lead acid). A Tham15, 10" midtop, 75Ah battery and amps should *just about* be under 136kg. 

However, I know from experience that towing anything over 75kg is very difficult on hills, and pretty hairy in terms of stopping/ going round corners - good brakes and wide tyres are a MUST. So maybe a Tham12 and an 8" midtop might be more manageable - that was the first iteration of the Commotion rig and it worked very well. 

The current standard recommendation is to buy Pioneer GM-D series amps. They are powerful, efficient, light weight and very affordable. They have a built in crossover to separate the bass from the mid tops, and can run direct from a phone aux output or a Bluetooth adapter. The only minor downsides are - they can only run from 12v batteries not any higher voltage, and they have no fundamental highpass filter to cut off useless sub-20Hz frequencies that waste battery power. 

You might want some kind of mixer to go on the front end - again Pioneer have some nice pieces that run from a 5v power supply, which is easy to get from a 12v battery and car USB adapter. 

There are vastly lighter alternatives the lead-acid batteries of course - lithium being the main one. You have to think about voltages a bit carefully as lithium-ion cells are 3.7 volt nominal whereas lead-acid are 2.0 volt nominal. So if you have a Pioneer or other car amp that's expecting a max voltage input of 14.5v (with engine running) you can't really use Li-Ion cells to make a battery that can be drained fully while not going over-voltage for the amp at full charge - three in series is 11.1v, four in series is 14.8v so you can't hit that "12v" sweet spot. Lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) cells at 3.2v nominal are a better match - a set of 4 in series give a 12.8v battery that works well with car audio gear. 

Don't expect to save any physical space with lithium batteries, they normally end up being about the same size as lead-acid - but 1/3 the weight!
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2021 at 6:09pm
hey studio45, thanks for your opinion. i'm glad someone responded that quickly :)

i found this site with suiting plans for a THAM12.
http://https://www.martinsson.cc/blog/index.php?m=03&y=12&entry=entry120315-210219
A Beyma 12LX60 driver is fine for my project? what do i have to watch out for when buying drivers for 12V usage?

any recommendations for a 8" midtop? :)

New Plan:
  • THAM 12 with Beyma 12LX60
  • a 8" Midtop
  • Pioneer GM-D series amp (which one?)
  • additional mixer, have to look them up...
  • don't know about my power supplies yet... but got an idea ;)

cheers

EDIT: As I'm not planing to do any DJing outdoors a Mixer is not a necessity... AUX is entirely sufficient :)

Edited by nilspixel - 02 March 2021 at 6:38pm
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 2:38pm
As usual, I'd endorse pretty much everything studio45 said.

Couple of things to add ...

Actually this should probably be a "sticky" for this section.

Pretty much all car amplifiers rate their output with a supply voltage of 14.4V or close to that.
When using them on a off-grid situation (i.e. standalone battery power, no charge from a car alternator) - and assume a median discharge voltage of - say 12.5V - the real world power o/p will be about 3/4 of their rating .... e.g. a 100W amp becomes actually about 75W. Near the end of discharge cycle - say 11.5V - that goes down to about 64W. Not an enormous difference in SPL (1 or 2 db), but the amp _will_ clip earlier/easier. Also (esp with lead-acid) the voltage will be more prone to sag under heavy load - which can cause clipping/distortion .... needs to be borne in mind when you set your levels.

If you want a baby mixer to just have single line in (e.g. laptop, tablet, phone etc.) and a decent mic input ..... take a look at the Behringer 302USB. It has good o/p level (can drive a proper amp if needed), has a good mic pre-amp with good overload margin (1/4" jack/XLR combo connector) and can be powered all day from a USB phone power bank thingy. Having its own power supply neatly side-steps any possible ground-loop hassles.

Mine has performed like a champ with a MC and also when someone gets up and wants to have a little sing-along :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by nilspixel nilspixel wrote:

By repute, a EV SX80 (8" mid/bass + comp driver) will do a good job. A good deal lighter than most 8+1 cabs made from plywood (its a plastic moulded enclosure ... but a good one).
Should play well down to 100Hz or so.

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Mine has performed like a champ with a MC and also when someone gets up and wants to have a little sing-along :-)

you got me with this one! will get one! :)

Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

By repute, a EV SX80 (8" mid/bass + comp driver) will do a good job. A good deal lighter than most 8+1 cabs made from plywood (its a plastic moulded enclosure ... but a good one).
Should play well down to 100Hz or so.

thanks for your recommendation :) but to match the look i'd want to make it from plywood just like the THAM12...

Edited by nilspixel - 03 March 2021 at 3:52pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 4:10pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 4:14pm
Alrigth, so things come together a little more. But still some stuff left i don't understand...

Say i want a Pioneer GM-D8604, Class D 4x 120W @ 4 Ohm. It has 4 channels which can be used to power 4 speakers?Confused

https://ibb.co/QCw3WBr -

When every channel has 120W.. do i have to look out for the drivers not to be above 120W? Am I restricted to 4 Ohm?

thanks again :)

nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 6:27pm

Say i want a Pioneer GM-D8604, Class D 4x 120W @ 4 Ohm. It has 4 channels which can be used to power 4 speakers?Confused

Ok i just answered this by myself.

The amp mentioned above is able to be bridged to use it as a 2 channel machine!! nice. got that now... the TwoWay speaker linked by APW has all the electronics inside and uses one input for both drivers...
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 7:50pm
As the data from the used drivers in the provided Two Way Cabinet seemed a bit too much i found this one:
https://celestion.com/blog/build-this-compact-10-two-way-pa-speaker-design/

What do you mean?
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2021 at 10:35pm
Okay guys, i just ordered the amplifier (Pioneer GM-D8704) to have a start on this project. Also some sheets of 15mm birch plywood is on its way to my workshop.
For now the project consists of the following:
  • Pioneer GM-D8704
  • Gives me 2*300W RMS with 4 Ohms
  • THAM12 with 'the box 12-280/8-W' https://www.thomann.de/de/the_box_speaker_12_280_8_w.htm
  • RMS 280W 8 Ω (http://im.static-thomann.de/pics//atg/atg//specs/283965_c_283965_sheet_v2_en_online.pdf)
  • A Celestion Two Way Spekerunit as seen here: https://celestion.com/blog/build-this-compact-10-two-way-pa-speaker-design/
  • Format: 2-way system Drivers: TF1020, CDX1-1445 (H1-7050) 
  • Sensitivity: 97.0dB (2.83V/1m)Input Impedance: 8ohms (nominal), 6.5 ohms (minimum) 
  • System Rated Power: 250W (EIA), 1000W (peak)
Any more suggestions so far? Happy to hear them 😊

Edited by nilspixel - 03 March 2021 at 10:40pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:41am

When you say the drivers are too much what exactly do you mean... Cost?

If so you can use cheaper drivers, the Fane Sovereign 8-225 or Fane Sovereign Pro 8-225 both work in the 8" Eighteen Sound cab and the compression driver can be substituted by the Eighteen Sound XD125, the CDX1-1445 used in the Celestion cabinet or something like a Beyma CD10Fe… The Eighteen Sound horn used in that cabinet is fairly cheap!!

Edited by APW - 04 March 2021 at 9:42am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>