Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V.. how much is possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 12:53pm
Gwarn my yute. Those are all solid purchases. Don't forget a few metres of 2x2.5mm pure copper speaker wire, 6mm battery wires, an inline fuse (a multi-fuse distro box is a good idea, will be useful in future if you add more 12v powered devices) and a good input lead. For DC connectors, I recommend Anderson PP30's. I guess you'll be getting a lead-acid leisure battery for power?

Also give some thought to how you're going to mount the THAM12 to your trailer - you can just ratchet strap it on top of the flat bed to begin with, but that means your centre of gravity is quite far above the wheels, and that's not good for cornering. A better way is to not use the flat bed, instead make a mounting system that drops it down through the frame a few inches - so it's held by bolts through the sides that either go into the trailer frame, or through a sub-frame mounted onto the trailer frame. About 4-5 inches ground clearance is usually OK, allows you to bump it up and down kerbs without hitting. If you can also mount the battery under the trailer rather than on top, that will make it MUCH more stable in the corners.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 6:27pm
Hi guys, i switched to something a bit different....

My new setup consits of the following:

Amp: Pioneer GM-D8704
2x300W RMS at 4 Ohm
maxPower Consumption: 33,4A

JL-sub15N/LMB-115N
Driver: 15LB075-UW4 with RMS 300W at 4 Ohm... nice, because i only have 4 Ohm coming from my amp..
https://im.static-thomann.de/pics//atg/atgdata/document/specs/172196.pdf

JB-Sat10-V2
Driver1: Faital 10FE200
Driver2: Sica z009442 +Q07032B
https://www.lautsprecherforum.eu/viewtopic.php?t=4907

This made everything a little easier and also more affordable..:)

I now have to decide what battery i'm going to get... When running on 33, 4A a battery with 50AH lasts around 1,5h when i'm right? at least thats what this calculator tells me: https://www.digikey.de/en/resources/conversion-calculators/conversion-calculator-battery-life

Thanks again for everything :)

Edited by nilspixel - 04 March 2021 at 6:30pm
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 6:53pm
That reflex sub is not the most efficient answer, the idea of a Tham 15 with a high efficiency driver would be my choice any day for 12 volt.

nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 6:56pm
Originally posted by concept-10 concept-10 wrote:

That reflex sub is not the most efficient answer, the idea of a Tham 15 with a high efficiency driver would be my choice any day for 12 volt.

but what about this Ω-thing? what driver would that be?

am i right to aim for a driver near to 300W RMS, 4Ω? does it make sense to run this in a cabinet like a THAM15?

Edited by nilspixel - 04 March 2021 at 7:02pm
APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:11pm

You don't have 4 ohms coming from your amp, the impedance of your amp is going to be a few tenths of an ohm maximum.... the amp will see the speakers impedance as a load, the lower the impedance of the load more power your amp will produce... right up to the point that it can no longer drive the load at which point it limits the power or goes bang!!

Your amp will produce more power with 4 ohm speakers than an 8 ohm speaker... However using less efficient speakers negates any increase in SPL the aditional power provides and will also drain your battery quicker.

The Tham12 produces 100db of sound for every watt of power you put into it, if your amp produces 100watts into an 8 ohm load it’ll produce about 120db at 1mtr. And at 250watts will produce about 124db.

The driver you have listed above produces 96db of sound for every what your amp provides to it, I believe your amp will produce 300watts into a 4ohm load when bridged, 300watts into a 96db/w speaker will produce 120db at 1mtr.   

The Tham12 requires 1/3rd of the power to produce the same SPL as the 15 in your link.

Edited by APW - 04 March 2021 at 7:39pm
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:12pm
Tapped horns are quite efficient cabs. The driver you have linked is about 96db + - 2db so it could be as low as 94dp, not very loud, something like a 99-100db low to low mid driver in a Tham15 will be a lot louder for the same input power, I know you are going to have to pay quite a bit more but you won't regret it, there are many PD1550s floating around on various FB market sites for about double the cost of the Thomann driver and they work very well in the Tham 15.
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:26pm
okay. thanks for your explanations. I'm glad to have you around :)

So going for one of the following is what you would do?

THAM12 with Beyma 12LX60

-or-

THAM15 with PD1550

?
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:33pm
Tham 12 is a good cab with the 12lx60v2, I prefer the 15 but is is double the size, if you are putting it on a bicycle trailer then the 12 is the way to go, you will pleasantly surprised how good they are.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:35pm

The Tham 12 is a very small box (almost hand luggage size), its efficiency is about the same as the Tham 15 (both about 100db/w), the Tham 15 is about twice the size of its little brother but will drop lower… The choice is yours.

BTW: the Oberton 12B450 works very well in the Tham 12 and is about £60.00 cheaper than the Beyma.

Edited by APW - 04 March 2021 at 7:51pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 7:58pm
Alright, i made my decission here.

THAM 15 with a PD1550 it is!

Are you happy now? :D i certainly am...

infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 8:52pm
I assume weight isn't an issue then!
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

I assume weight isn't an issue then!

naah. sound is more important :) i'm making my mind about putting wheels to the tham 15 to become the trailer itself...

Edited by nilspixel - 04 March 2021 at 9:02pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>