Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12V.. how much is possible?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JonB67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:13pm
If i remember correctly the plans for jbells ss15 were available in 1/2 inch ply and thats a similar sized tapped horn to the tham. If you're not pushing it to the max you could save a fair bit of weight dropping the ply size. 15mm is available too as a compromise. 

Be interested to hear from Anders if he knows of any built in thinner ply and how much difference it makes
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by nilspixel nilspixel wrote:

Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

I assume weight isn't an issue then!

naah. sound is more important :) i'm making my mind about putting wheels to the tham 15 to become the trailer itself...

:-) .... so I take it you've ordered a large catering pack of weetabix then ?

I'd like to be there when that little lot (along with a 100Ah lead-acid battery) is behind your bike, and ...

Its dark.
Its raining.
The wind is blowing in your face.
you're drunk, stoned, and knackered.
You're going up a hill.
Now you have to stop at traffic lights ... and then pull away from a standing start.

So get your mates to film it please :-)

REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 10:41pm
Originally posted by JonB67 JonB67 wrote:

If i remember correctly the plans for jbells ss15 were available in 1/2 inch ply and thats a similar sized tapped horn to the tham. If you're not pushing it to the max you could save a fair bit of weight dropping the ply size. 15mm is available too as a compromise. 

Be interested to hear from Anders if he knows of any built in thinner ply and how much difference it makes

i'll use 15mm plywood for the tham's ;)
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 March 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by slaz slaz wrote:

Originally posted by infrasound infrasound wrote:

I assume weight isn't an issue then!

naah. sound is more important :) i'm making my mind about putting wheels to the tham 15 to become the trailer itself...

:-) .... so I take it you've ordered a large catering pack of weetabix then ?

I'd like to be there when that little lot (along with a 100Ah lead-acid battery) is behind your bike, and ...

Its dark.
Its raining.
The wind is blowing in your face.
you're drunk, stoned, and knackered.
You're going up a hill.
Now you have to stop at traffic lights ... and then pull away from a standing start.

So get your mates to film it please :-)

:D strong legs required!

but yeah, i won't take it for long rides through the forest. flat streets, 2km max..
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2021 at 12:54pm

i'll use 15mm plywood for the tham's ;)

you thinks it's possible?
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 5:25pm
Hey guys.. I got some more questions.. ;)

topbox: 165W RMS ~7Ohm
sub: 600W RMS ~8Ohm

Is my Pioneer GM D8704 with its 2x300W RMS able to handle the sub? For the top it should be fine...

I'm concerned about clipping... So more power for the sub is needed...

thanks ;)

Edited by nilspixel - 03 April 2021 at 7:45pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 9:32am

What do you think about this solution?
infrasound View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote infrasound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 12:06pm
Subs don't "need" power to run. Their rating is just a limit on how much power you can put into it and therefore their output.

If you aren't running a sophisticated DSP, then 300w could be the most you can push before displacement limits anyway.

In short, 300W is fine. 600W is marginally more output (3dB), but may be harder on the woofer. You'd hear it struggling if this happens, so no sweat. Both will make a proper racket through a THAM15.

Edited by infrasound - 04 April 2021 at 12:06pm
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 2:57pm
Even if the watts drop due to the greater resistance on the loudspeaker?
Less of the 300W will make it to the 8 ohm loudspeaker ...

However, the PD1550 has a pretty good sensitivity (99dB / 1W), maybe that will balance it out? Unfortunately, I don't know what to do because I don't know enough about it. My biggest concern, however, is that I will cause clipping when the amplifier is producing so much less power than the speaker could handle...
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 12:38pm
You will hear any clipping easily as sudden, harsh distortion that goes away if you reduce the volume.

Don't get too hung up on numbers. You will be surprised how loud a good PA speaker is with just a few watts. Plus, as stated above, you're likely to reach Xmax before Pmax in any practical real-world box. 

From my experience an 80 watt @8 Ohm channel (160 watt @ 4 ohm) is plenty to drive a 12" bass bin for mobile use. I could hit Xmax easily with that power. Your amp is (on paper) twice as powerful as that.

In the mains powered PA world it's common to use an amp that's capable of twice your speaker's RMS rating. This makes sense when available electrical power is basically unlimited and you want to be able to reproduce loud peaks as cleanly as possible. Still got to be careful not to blow drivers!

In the mobile world, compromises must be made. Ain't nobody got enough batteries for that! So we tend to use quite low powered amp channels, driving efficient boxes, using most or all of our available headroom, all the time - and watching our levels carefully to avoid clipping. It still works well, but it's a different philosophy. 
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 12:14pm
hey guys, thanks to all of you :) it's up and rolling... have a look: https://www.instagram.com/kingnilsonsound/
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2021 at 2:59pm
Looks great mate! Very clean and simple, I like it. Are you going to put a paint job on it?
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>