Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Chat > Roots n Culture Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tubbys Amps...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibes92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 1:22pm
pd 1850s can sing 

they sound good on an old naphon modified amp also a crest 9001
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2022 at 3:08pm
I've heard PD1850s in S118 Scoop sing nice on Void 8MK2.

Maybe was the huge amount of wadding in the cab.

But push them 1" more they can handle, all that niceness out the window.
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
BigSoundNorthWest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSoundNorthWest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 5:34pm
I can imagine that while he might maybe resell rebadged products, as someone said above about the UA series, that's still a far stretch from "not knowing how to build" amplifiers.
valve head777 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valve head777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 8:27pm
I wouldn't be at all surprised if K did some research on OEM and the ca series, found a company who had the best reliable QC and then speced his own upgraded components. Companies in China seem very eager to take constructive feedback and work their product to suit the buyer.
Freedom of choice, choice of freedom.
luton_soundman View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2022 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by vibes92 vibes92 wrote:

pd 1850s can sing 

they sound good on an old naphon modified amp also a crest 9001

Naphon is the worst bass amp ive ever used and also never heard anyones bass sound nice off of 1
Sound Hire/Sales new/used equipment.
vibes92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibes92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 3:36pm
i have  hurd wsp use naphons and pd1850s and make mince meat out the other sounds.

king alpha still uses naphons with turbo max sounded much better then iration in subdub 2019 

roots injection had 1850s and a naphon and sounded good 

ital power use pd1850s and a naphon  i think they still do not sure

all of the above sounded good with that combo.  

not sure what sounds you listen too 

but times have moved on this combo is a thing of the past...but just saying a point

levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 4:17pm

i have  hurd wsp use naphons and pd1850s and make mince meat out the other sounds.

Bif of History..

"Vibes", Have a guess who bought 4x of those "specific"  WSP 1850 Scoops, had them refurbed, modded, and who they were sold onto.. LOL
Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 4:41pm

king alpha still uses naphons with turbo max sounded much better then iration in subdub 2019 

roots injection had 1850s and a naphon and sounded good 

ital power use pd1850s and a naphon  i think they still do not sure

all of the above sounded good with that combo.  

not sure what sounds you listen too 

but times have moved on this combo is a thing of the past...but just saying a point

I owned naphon and 50s and 51s and tmax 1000 1200, 1500, fane 1500, and many other drivers. Heard all the sounds above multiple times, helped tune another roots sound at a dance also using 50s in wsp/tubbys steveb 50 scoops. Also oowned same wsp stevebs with 50s.The amp never sounded good on any of these occasions in my opinion. Its not to say there wasnt a certain level of spl. But it didnt sound gd to my ears. The amps never reproduced a 'nice' sound. Everybody has different ears and different requirements for their systems at the end of the day. For me the amp could not fullfill mine and i couldnt wit to sell it

Edited by luton_soundman - 15 August 2022 at 4:42pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 August 2022 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

Bif of History..

"Vibes", Have a guess who bought 4x of those "specific"  WSP 1850 Scoops, had them refurbed, modded, and who they were sold onto.. LOL

EmbarrassedEmbarrassed
vibes92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vibes92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 8:10am
bless levyt
yes i no wsp ital alpha etc

yes 1 set of the original wsp steve bs were sold to ital power they still using em ,hurd them a few times this year and was pressure....

.and mick bought another 4 refurbed a few years back of ballistick  =) 

those amps and 1850s steve bs sound good

same amps turbomax and king alpha scoops, even better

Edited by vibes92 - 16 August 2022 at 3:31pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote luton_soundman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 4:07pm
Yes bro, although i've distanced myself from the other member of ballistic and am doing my own thing now. I had 10 stevebs altogether, and over 30 scoops including other designs. For me the amp just didnt cut it. On the mini scoops it coulldnt play them at all. Tight chamber cabs was better for it but again not at all what i wanted. Every other amp i used yielded better results, even smps which everyone knows i prefer big heavy torroidals on my subs. Matrix 7k, pl380, crown xls5000, ca18, inf8 played all the notes with good quality and tone with spl. The naphon just didnt play all the notes and has a type of noisey harsh sound. The sound i sold mine to used it on 50s in different scoops eminence wardrobe style wide cabs which play the notes well but again with that amp it just wasnt there and had that noisey sound to it. 

Edited by luton_soundman - 16 August 2022 at 4:16pm
djkeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djkeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by BigSoundNorthWest BigSoundNorthWest wrote:

So, was just reading an interview with Metro on Red Bull.
where he claims (written in 2008, but STILL...) that Kieth (JTS)
 "<span style="font-family: MaisonNeue, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 20px;">Nah, Tubby’s don’t know how to make amplifiers"</span> 

and that Barracuda built em (or does still)
Anyone shed any light on this?

Seems odd, i know Kieth is VERY well versed in electronic design...

https://daily.redbullmusicacademy.com/2018/08/mysteries-of-soundman-metro

This article is a good read and if you view it in the context of an old school engineer I understand where he's coming from, with a background in valve constructed devices as well as transistor he was well grounded in electronics. I dont think but know that some of Jah Tubbys early pre's and amps were down compared to todays standards, and that would be the same for Links and thats to do with a better understanding now of electronics theory, the application of linkwitz-riley vs Butterworth principles, phase and the availability of better components. It would be unwise to think that JTubbys has not moved with the times. 'Metro' would be in his early 80's now and in his time everyone one else would have taken credit for something they claimed or didn't do.
Soundbite
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>