Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

12v bike rig - Advice needed!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2021 at 7:41am
Originally posted by CFLsound CFLsound wrote:

Jack1991 your rig is pretty much exactly what we had in mind, looks great. I think we're going to go with a dj controller and a turntable just because it's nice to have the option. Also me and some friends record a lot to cassettes so that will probably crop up somewhere along the line too.

those tham drivers were our second choice, seems to be they're a pretty popular option so maybe we'll reconsider and save the cash. 
I mentioned in your thread that if you wanted a place to test the rig out for the day in Bristol I could sort something out. Would be cool to hear what it can do. 

Cool thanks man yeh im happy with it so far. 

Ah yeh thats fair enough you have the choice then too of a variety of different players.

Yeh thanks for that mate that would be great, i did send you a private message about it the other day ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

Edited by Jack1991 - 29 March 2021 at 7:41am
CFLsound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFLsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2021 at 3:57pm
So going into mid top research, does anyone have any thoughts on sitting a pair of these on top of the 2 x tham 12's 

Realise it might be a bit over kill. Cant find anyone referencing these designs on the forum but the frequency response looks relatively flat and would cross over from the thams at around 110 - 130 hz. Also struggling to find designs for decent full range enclosures that aren't using 12" drivers. I guess this is to do with the fact that a 12" speaker will give a much better frequency response at around 100 - 300hz? Only thinking about smaller drivers to lower weight/size of the rig.

Also, do the cubo12s go a little lower/sound better higher than the thams? I read the thams are a bit naff above 110hz. Just a thought. Cheers.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2021 at 6:04pm
https://voltloudspeakers.co.uk/loudspeakers/cx2201/

20 litre cab as on the site will take you flat to 50Hz.

You may not even need the subs.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2021 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by markie markie wrote:

Totally agree Marie, bloody amazing sounding drivers Smile
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2021 at 6:25pm
Yes, but I got the spec wrong, flat to 57Hz, -3db gives you 50.

APW View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2021 at 6:30pm

The volts do sound lovely, however on a battery powered system I suspect heโ€™ll need something a little more efficient than a 90dB/w driver.

The B&C enclosure posted in the link above needs 1/5th of the power the Volt needs to produce the same SPL.

Edited by APW - 02 April 2021 at 6:31pm
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2021 at 7:46pm
Yes, but it's twice the size and even with a neo driver probably a similar weight to the Volt cab. Plus it doesn't produce any bass so will need subs which will considerably increase the power usage.

For me the biggest consideration is the weight, If someone told me to pull 125kg trailer my response would be "On yer bike".

The Volts would  eliminate the need for  subs and a processor so would allow for extra battery power and hopefully  reduction in weight.

It's another option.

CFLsound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFLsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 11:42am

Yes, but it's twice the size and even with a neo driver probably a similar weight to the Volt cab. Plus it doesn't produce any bass so will need subs which will considerably increase the power usage.

For me the biggest consideration is the weight, If someone told me to pull 125kg trailer my response would be "On yer bike".

The Volts would  eliminate the need for  subs and a processor so would allow for extra battery power and hopefully  reduction in weight.

It's another option.

So in regards to the bike the we are looking at a rickshaw/trike rather than a trailer. Our logic is that rickshaws often have two people on the back so one person weighing 65kg means that 130kg must be possible. Yeah it will be tough but my friend who is a bike nut reckons its doable. Also if we go with a modular speaker design we could also just go out with one sub and full range speaker and one battery if extra transportability is needed. We have some friends who are pulling 215kg of soundsystem on a trike at the moment. They do have an electric motor on the bike and this is something we are considering at a later date.

I guess my needs on this forum are kind of outside the bike side of things anyway. I'm looking for a full range enclosure that can meet the thams nicely and that has clear plans laid out already so we can just build the things and get the tunes rolling.

I think designing cabs is a bit beyond my realm of knowledge at the moment but its something i'd like to get into at a later point. Im also not sure I have the time to put into getting a really decent enclosure sorted! I have experience working with audio in a studio environment so working with the DSP and getting things sounding tight out and about is where im more excited to direct my energy. Unless designing the cabs isnt that hard and you guys reckon I should just give it a go?

If someone can recommend any great driver and cab combos to go above the thams that would be wicked. Or are those B&C designs suitable? I like the look of them and it seems to me as if they will crossover into the thams nicely.

The aesthetic is also a consideration. I like the stacked speaker/classic rig look so this is something I'd like to stay with. If we end up building more than we can carry on the tricycle then so be it, we can transport it other ways if necessary but carrying one sub and one mid top and one battery shouldnt be a problem at all.

Keeping costs down is also a consideration and those neo drivers are a little pricey. Budget is £400 max for whatever goes above the thams.
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2021 at 11:40am
I have a pair of EV SX80s surplus to requirements. Good condition and all original drivers. PM if interested.
slaz View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2021 at 1:54pm
@ the OP ...

I were you I'd be keen on those SX80. Reckon those would play nicely down to 100-120 or so.
10" and 8" (and even 6.5") are generally more optimal for vocal, guitar, KB ranges than 12s and 15s.

Weight is 8.2Kg each, so 16.4Kg for the pair - and should lend themselves very well to mounting on sticks, shuftying around to suit the situation/dispersion etc.
If you're not hell-bent on stereo, put both across a decent car amp channel (or bridged channels) for a 4R load - pretty much all decent car amps will work fine in 4R bridge.

Oh yeah - and even if they don't work out 100% for your needs, they should  be very saleable.

Edited by slaz - 05 April 2021 at 1:56pm
REMEMBER....POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON
studio45 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studio45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2021 at 12:28pm
+1 for SX80's. 
I don't know if you'e ever heard their ubiquitous 12" brother the SX300, but they were one of the best plastic speakers ever made. Just ASTONISHINGLY loud and tough as nails. 
Assuming EV haven't let themselves down completely, the SX80's should be just as impressive.
Studio45 - Repairs & Building Commotion Soundsystem -Mobile PA
Jack1991 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack1991 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2021 at 12:39pm
Not sure if your planning on powering the DSP off the same battery as the amplifier? 

But i have just been told on another forum that doing that can cause voltage drop outs. Causing the DSP to lose power momentarily. 

Edited by Jack1991 - 07 April 2021 at 12:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>