Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amplification B&C 21DS115 8ohm

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amplification B&C 21DS115 8ohm
    Posted: 27 March 2021 at 6:40am
Hi,

I have an amp Matrix XT10000MF to amplify 2 scoops loaded with B&C 21DS115 8ohm driver.

What do you think is the best way to do the amplification: 

- One scoop per channel at 8ohm
- The 2 scoops from one channel at 4 ohm

If eventually I get another 2 scoops, do you think the Matrix will do the job to move 2 scoops per channel?

Thanks for your replies!
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 7:59am
That should be a easy thing to figure out. You got 3500watt pr channel into 8ohms.
5000 watt pr channel into 4 ohms. 

So that will give you 3500watt into each scoop if running one scoop from each channel. 
But only 2500 Watts into each scoop if running both from one channel. 
Its a no-brainer Smile

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2021 at 5:27pm
Either way you have more than enough power to melt the voice coils. 1700w AES means a signal with 6dB crest factor, the 3200w rating is with 12dB CF. With sine waves this is an 850w driver.

bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2021 at 6:06am
Here is some interesting discussion about powering these drivers:

https://forum.speakerplans.com/new-single-br_topic103425_page4.html

It's about the voltage capability of amplifiers. Due to the high output power, your amp should be well suited and capable of delivering the required high voltage peaks, but there is one caveat: since the continuous output power is so high, there is the risk of overpowering and killing your drivers if you don't limit the average level of the signal.

You can probably run two drivers in parallel per channel without problems....
JPF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2021 at 2:49pm
Thanks for the comments! I think as long as I have only 2 scoops I will power esch one from a channel at 8ohm. If I get another 2 lets see if the amp is able to do 2 per channel.

Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2021 at 4:02pm
It will drive 4 boxes just fine. Despite that apparent large power differential(1000w) that only adds about 1.5dB if and only if some or all of that power isn't lost in heat.. which is a very high possibility at this power level. For all intents and purposes there won't be an appreciable difference in output between a single box driven with 2500w vs 3500w, but doubling the number of boxes from 2 to 4 will add 6dB total output.
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2021 at 1:11pm
Your issue is going to be something other than wattage. Peak voltage swing is important with those motor assemblies.
JPF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2021 at 3:23pm
Thanks so much for the advice. What could I do to handle these peak voltage issues with the Matrix amp and what could be the consecuences of it?

Post Reply Post Reply