Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What amp?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What amp?
    Posted: 03 April 2021 at 5:37pm
Hello forum.

Given I have a mono system with one

Subwoofer
600 watts RMS
8 ohms

and one

Top box
165Watt RMS
8 ohms

powered by a 12V 90AH battery. Thomann recommends that the output Watt by the Amp should be larger then needed in order to avoid clipping.

I own a Pioneer GM-D8704, it spits out 2 x 300W bridged. That would work for the top box, but for the sub ??

What choice would you make? Go for 1-Channel Amp?
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 5:59pm
You got the amp so try it, if it gets loud enough you're good. A larger amp with double the power would only get slightly louder but might cut the run time in half. 
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2021 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Conanski Conanski wrote:

A larger amp with double the power would only get slightly louder but might cut the run time in half. 

Even so, I still risk clipping and damage to some components. Especially when I want to play loud ...
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 7:28am
"What choice would you make? Go for 1-Channel Amp?"

Or something stereo that will give you around 1kW bridged. It seems simple enough.
Earplugs Are For Wimps!
nilspixel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nilspixel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 11:33am

Like this?
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 12:59pm
Well - you really need a crossover as well. Or find an amp/s with filters on it already, eg at least a low-pass for the Tham.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2021 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by nilspixel nilspixel wrote:

Even so, I still risk clipping and damage to some components. Especially when I want to play loud ... 

You'll damage components even faster with a bigger amp if you don't know enough to stop pushing when the amp is out of gas.
 Post Reply Post Reply