Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recommend tweeter for VOLT 165.1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommend tweeter for VOLT 165.1
    Posted: 10 April 2021 at 11:34am
I just won a pair of VOLT 165.1 (6.5" bass mid) on Ebay. Would appreciate any suggestions for a tweeter to go with them.
If it's got wheels or tits it's gonna cost a fortune
Andylaser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andylaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2021 at 11:48pm
I would probably go for a soft dome Morel.
"music so loud, that if we move in next door to you; your lawn will die" - Lemmy
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2021 at 6:52pm
I'd second the Morel.

Although worth noting that some of the Monacor soft dome tweeters that look similar in style to the Morel are also pretty good value.

markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2021 at 9:21pm
I used Morel MDT30 (or 32) on a pair of 8" volt builds and they were superb.

I have decided to try the Monacor DT-300, mainly because Blue Aran have them and they seem to be a real bargain compared to other sellers. They're cheap enough to allow for a mistake.

They also have a low crossover point and only require 12dB slope........... good to keep things simple.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2021 at 9:47pm
Sounds like a good plan, should end up with something sounding pretty good out of that.
vertx View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vertx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2021 at 10:47am
I've been finding for my studio and HiFi builds sbacoustics have a lot of tweeters at a good price / performance ratio.

I have this one in a studio monitor paired with a 6" sbacoustics woofer:

https://sbacoustics.com/product/sb26adc-c000-4/

For non studio work a soft dome might be more more pleasing long term to listen to.

This is the on-axis freq response with psychoacoustic smoothing (after some minor EQ):

and without smoothing:

Acoustic crossover was somewhere between 1.8khz - 2.2khz from memory.

Edited by vertx - 27 April 2021 at 10:55am
www.instagram.com/translate.sound
markie View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2021 at 11:59am
I actually bought the Monacor DT-300s.  Blue Aran had them at a really good price and as I said they were cheap enough that I could afford to make a mistake.

I haven't done any more on this project. As the weather is so good at the moment I am trying to sort out a piece of land I own over the road. Will get to the cabinets ASAP and report back.
 Post Reply Post Reply