Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Newbie Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Full Range/Mid Top Speaker Design

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFLsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Full Range/Mid Top Speaker Design
    Posted: 11 April 2021 at 9:45pm
So me and the gang have decided to build a lil 12v soundsystem, the thread for that one is here: https://forum.speakerplans.com/12v-bike-rig-advice-needed_topic106179.html

Rather than buying mid tops we'd like to build some just so we can get higher quality drivers and the build aesthetic boxes ticked. We've found it hard to find something that suits but it feel
s like we've settled on a pair of these for to sit above a pair of THAM12's. We have to decided to go with 10" drivers to keep size/weight down.

https://www.bcspeakers.com/media/W1siZiIsIjIwMjAvMDgvMjYvMTRfMzRfMTlfOTg4X0YxMDFBTi5wZGYiXV0

Now the initial idea was to just go with the B&C recommended components, but after looking at the frequency responses and running through the specs in WinISD it feels to me like they'll be lacking in the low mid range. If we went with the B&C components it looks like we'd have to roll off 5db in the mid range to compensate for the lack of power in the low mid.

The frequency response on the B&C website looks like this:

And after running the box through WinISD and calculating the box to be approximately 34l i get the following SPL reading:

Looking at these two pictures leads me to believe that the 5db dip on the SPL reading and the 10db gap on the enclosure graph could be problematic, especially when we are considering crossing over the THAMs at around 110hz.

So i ran a couple of other drivers through WinISD that were listed on blue arans T/S parameter match to the B&C 10HPL64. Namely the eminence delta 10:

And the Faital Pro 10PR310

Now to me it looks as if the dip is much less than with the recommended B&C speakers. Obviously the SPL is lower on these two but considering I would potentially have to make a 5-10db roll off across most of the B&C bandwidth to improve low mid punch the results seem as if they would be similar.

I suppose what I'm asking is if my thinking is correct in regards to the WinISD data and is the frequency response from the B&C component build going to be a bit lacking in low mid, especially considering we will be playing mainly electronic music. Or is the response on the initial B&C graph quite good and am i nitpicking? It seems to me that going for either of the other drivers would help give a more balanced sound with less EQ'ing needed on the speakers.

So, as i have no experience designing speakers, is that box a decent design? Ive seen some JBL speakers with a very similar footprint and to my basic knowledge it seems to tick the boxes for preventing things like standing waves.

Also I'm a little confused about venting. I assume the two triangles below and either side of the driver will act as vents. Is this correct or shouold i put a vent in the back of the speaker and block out the front or put one in in addition to the design.

We will be adding the innerconstruction aspects as detailed in this B&C design to the speaker as well I assume to help with rigidty and damping.

http://www.bluearan.co.uk/sales/bac/U12.PDF

Thanks for all the help, questions about tweeters and crossovers probably to follow Geek

Edited by CFLsound - 11 April 2021 at 9:52pm
CFLsound View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CFLsound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2021 at 9:47pm

Edited by CFLsound - 11 April 2021 at 9:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply