Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Looking for a rack mount PDU, any help?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for a rack mount PDU, any help?
    Posted: 04 May 2021 at 1:16am
Hi all,

Not sure if I’m asking in the right place, but I’m at the stage with my Soundsystem now where I’m after a power distro for my rack, which consists of:

CVR D3002 for 4x subs(which I’ve been advised to run off a 32a supply)
SAE PXM1450 for 2x kicks
And then an audiohead 2400 amp for tops

Really not sure if im asking in the right place but does anyone have any idea what I might need? 

Thanks

BJtheDJ View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BJtheDJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 1:22am
Originally posted by Ajsski99 Ajsski99 wrote:

Hi all,

Not sure if I’m asking in the right place, but I’m at the stage with my Soundsystem now where I’m after a power distro for my rack, which consists of:

CVR D3002 for 4x subs(which I’ve been advised to run off a 32a supply)
SAE PXM1450 for 2x kicks
And then an audiohead 2400 amp for tops

Really not sure if im asking in the right place but does anyone have any idea what I might need? 

Thanks

It would help if we knew where you were, or at least what country you're in.

If your vaccinations were mandatory and nobody in your class had measles,
then you know that you're not a Millenial kid.
</f
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 2:01am
UK based
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:49am
Might also be useful to see what type of power you have available. If you playing social clubs and pubs in the UK very few (if any) will have a 32A 3 phase supply. Your system looks to be similar size to mine, I have a flexible, pro looking set up which means I can run off:

32A 3 phase
32A single phase
2 x 16A
2 x 13A

I don't have a PDU, just couple rubberbox distros and cables.

Dupe...
Dupe...
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 10:51am
It depends what you mean by PDU. 

There are some PDU units that are designed to run racks of effects and outboard gear etc, but obviously they don't handle anywhere near enough current for a full rack of amps. 

The kind of thing you're looking for would be more like this: 

That one is from SSE, the sound company, and has a 32amp in, and will have connectors on the back to then power each individual amp. 

there are plenty of others from other companies, VDC do some decent ones, ProLightConcepts. I can help you out if needed. 

but the problem is it really depends on what power you have in the venues you work. If you're working in places that are well kitted out, you may have reliable 3 phase power, and so you may want to pick one that has 3 phase in:

If you work in a lot of venues that only have 13a sockets, then you might be better to keep everything separate so you can spread the load over a few plug sockets. 
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 11:21am
9 times out of 10 I imagine I’ll be in a venue that only
Has standard wall sockets, which is a bummer as I won’t be able to run anything at full potential.

Occasionally though we may get hired out (I hope!) for private events outdoors so will be running off of generator power which will either be 32a single phase 230v or 32a 3 phase 415v
Ajsski99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ajsski99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by DJ-Dulux DJ-Dulux wrote:

Might also be useful to see what type of power you have available. If you playing social clubs and pubs in the UK very few (if any) will have a 32A 3 phase supply. Your system looks to be similar size to mine, I have a flexible, pro looking set up which means I can run off:

32A 3 phase
32A single phase
2 x 16A
2 x 13A

I don't have a PDU, just couple rubberbox distros and cables.

Dupe...

This setup sounds exactly what I’m after as I can see us using a range of different venues.
kevinmcdonough View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinmcdonough Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 11:38am
You're probably better sticking with individual sockets then, if that's what you'll use most of the time. 

To keep things neat, I'd put a panel on the back with some powercon sockets, one linked to each amp, or even just two really, one for the sub amp and one joined to the kicks and tops amp. That way you can carry some cables with you to plug things in. Most of the time that would be short 13a to powercon cables, but you could also have different combinations for other things. 

Then a stand alone distro like this....

or even just a small one like this......

would probably be the best bet for you for the odd times that you are given a more powerful feed from a genny. You can then use the appropriate cables from your distro into the powercons in your amp rack.

Edited by kevinmcdonough - 04 May 2021 at 11:49am
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 1:31pm
surely get a 32A single phase distro for normal use. then when three phase power is available use a sperate 3-phase distro to split to 3*32A single phase - plug your distro into one phase and run the big amp off its own phase.

Put a 32A ceeform on the big amp and then use adpater cables to connect it to 32A distro (20A powercon) or to 13A mains if that is all that is available so you can run the big amp of it's own 13A and everything else through the distro on another 13A.

Edited by snowflake - 04 May 2021 at 1:33pm
DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 1:49pm
Here is what I have... Obviously many variations of this....

Dupe...
Dupe...
Benjaminmark View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Benjaminmark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 11:38am
In choosing a PDU for a sound system, it's important to consider the type of power available at the venue and the power requirements of your equipment. In most cases, a flexible system with multiple outlets is the way to go. But, if 32A three phase power is frequently available, then a separate 32A three phase distro might be a better option.
i bought from here
https://www.msssolutions.com.au/p/racks-and-cabinets/accessories/power-distribution - https://www.mssdatasolutions.com.au/p/racks-and-cabinets/accessories/power-distribution
Lucasdude View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucasdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 March 2024 at 1:04pm
Shameless plugging.... Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>