Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

K30 Amplifier On The Bench

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: K30 Amplifier On The Bench
    Posted: 14 May 2021 at 1:21am

K30 AMPLIFIER BENCH RESULTS

Line Voltage During Test

250 volts, 60 Hz

Metering Used

Amprobe Clamp Meter

Clarke-Hess Power Analyser

Hewlett Packard Distortion Analyzer

Klein Tools Clamp Meter

Amplifier Temperature During Tests

Starting Temperature: 39 Celsius (102.2 F)

Ending Temperature: 45 Celsius (113.0 F)*

Room Temperature: 17.7 Celsius (63.86 F)

Note: Room Temperature was measured with a Klein Tools Dual Laser Infrared Thermometer

* Excluding Longevity Test

Amplifier Thermal Status (From The Manual)

Normal: 32 – 69.0 Celsius

Overheat Warning: 69.1 – 75.0 Celsius

Thermal Protection: 75.1 Celsius

Burst Ratings (Keele Tone-Burst Test) 50 Hz, 63 Hz & 80 Hz

https://www.prosoundtraining.com/2015/10/13/pats-blog-keele-tone-burst-test/

Frequencies: 50 Hz, 63 Hz, 80 Hz

Wattage: 9227.52, 9467.29, 9467.29

Load: 4 ohms

Note: Each Output Channel, under a 4-ohm load, registered anywhere from 48.03 – 48.65 amps in rush current (10 pulses per frequency) undergoing the Keele Tone-Burst test. The amplifier completed the test with no issues. The burst were made using the left channel of the audio files. They are available free to download (Link Above) in which, you can get an idea of the type of pulses the amplifier had to endure during the test.

Line Source Current Consumption Under Burst Ratings Using A 4-Ohm Load

250-volt Line Source: 37.86 amperes (Single Channel) Measured

240-volt Line Source: 39.45 amperes (Single Channel) Estimate

240-volt Line Source: 78.9 amperes (Both Channels Driven) Estimate

120-volt Line Source: 78.9 amperes (Single Channel) Estimate

120-volt Line Source: 157.8 amperes (Both Channels Driven) Estimate

Continuous Sinusoidal Wave

Frequency: 59.89 Hz

Wattage: 3398.89

THD: 1.0%

Note: The amplifier can offer this kind of wattage continuously with no significant drops in output power and, no ramping into protect mode. The clip lights (Yellow Indicators) are not on @ 1.0% THD. The amplifier does reduce it's wattage slightly once the clip lights are present. The output power is reduced to 3317.76 watts. The Clip Limiter may be the culprit as, it is factory default in an ON position. Once the Clip Limiter is turned off, the slight drop in wattage is not present. Please bear in mind, moving from 3398.89 watts to 3317.76 watts only yields a -0.10 dB loss.

Dynamic Headroom 4-ohm Load

From 3398.89 watts to 9467.29* watts: +4.45 dB *                                                                                                                                                         

* Highest Measured Peak Wattage rating based on an in-rush current of 48.65 amps using a 4-ohm resistive load.

Crest Factor

Frequency: 59.89 Hz

Wattage: 4806.03*

* Manufactures advertised specifications is 5000 watts per channel @ 4 ohms. 5000 watts vs 4806 watts offers a mere -0.17 dB loss

Crest Factor 100 Hz – 5 Hz

100 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

90 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

80 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

70 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

60 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

50 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

40 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

30 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

20 Hz: 4806.03 watts @ 4 ohms

10 Hz: 2809.08 watts @ 4 ohms

5 Hz: 1328.34 watts @ 4 ohms

LONGEVITY TEST

Starting Temperature: 45 Celsius

Ending Temperature: 55 Celsius

Frequency: 40.04 Hz

Type: Sinusoidal Wave

Duration: 2:52.049 (Two Minutes, Fifty-two Seconds)

Starting Voltage: 104.4 volts (2724.84 watts)

Ending Voltage: 104.4 volts (2724.84 watts)

Amperage From 4-ohm Load: 26.10 A

Amperage From 250-volt Line Source: 10.89 A

The amplifier maintained a constant output voltage from start to finish. The only noticeable difference from the amplifier was an increase in Celsius and, Fan Speed. The amplifier was -0.96 dB away from clipping (1.0% THD) playing a 40 Hz sinusoidal wave continuously for nearly three minutes.

Note: Test was halted due to the 4-ohm resistor. The 4-ohm resistor began delivering a heavy dose of smoke. The objective of this test was to determine how long the amplifier would maintain it's output voltage under a 4 ohm load before ramping into protection or reducing it's output (Whichever came first). Since the resistor began to give off heavy smoke, the risk of an electrical fire was too high. The test was halted and further measurements were put off to a later date. The amplifier's thermal rating (55 Celsius) once the test was halted, is still within it's normal thermal status. The K30's overheating warning begins at 69.1 Celsius.

Audible Difference In dB Output

3398.89 watts @ 4 ohms versus 2724.84 watts @ 4 ohms: 0.96 dB differential

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 14 May 2021 at 1:26am
Elliot Thompson
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 12:18pm
Thanks for posting these measurements. It looks quite close to a Powersoft K10/K20 in output.  Particularity impressive are that it can sustain 3kW per channel sine wave.  Does anyone know what the sine wave output power of a K20 is?

Also what is the cost of a Admark K30?
Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by kipman725 kipman725 wrote:

Thanks for posting these measurements. It looks quite close to a Powersoft K10/K20 in output.  Particularity impressive are that it can sustain 3kW per channel sine wave.  Does anyone know what the sine wave output power of a K20 is?

Also what is the cost of a Admark K30?

I have no idea how much the Admark cost.

The amplifier I purchased was made by Morin. Morin is an Original Design/Equipment Manufacturer (ODM/OEM). If you wanted to have "kipman725" Logo on the faceplate, Morin will have it done for you. There is no minimum quantity to have it done. If you are buying quantity, you could requests having the faceplate modified to your aesthetics.

The K30 has been fairly popular on the underground scene since 2019 in the United States. As for price, just go to Alibaba and type K30 Amplifier. Although the price should be the same, the total cost may differ with shipping due to your location.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 14 May 2021 at 8:28pm
Elliot Thompson
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 12:01pm
Thank you for your effort Elliot. Sounds like you are happy with this amp. Big question long term reliability. I realize it must be hard for you to comment only having the amp for a short time. Any impressions thoughts on the subject?
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 2:35pm
Any idea of 2ohm load performance?
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

Thank you for your effort Elliot. Sounds like you are happy with this amp. Big question long term reliability. I realize it must be hard for you to comment only having the amp for a short time. Any impressions thoughts on the subject?

I've only had the amplifier for a week. You would need to contact me within a year if you would like my user experience in terms of reliability using the K30 Amplifier.

I will say this. In the United States, the users are not complaining about the K30 failing. Are you willing to feed the amplifier at least 200-volts A.C. (Twice Japan's 100-volt standard) to take full advantage on what the amplifier can offer? Estimated AC Current based on the Burst Wattage Rating (18,000 watts) both channels driven (4-ohms per channel) would be around 185 amperes on a 100-volt line source.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 15 May 2021 at 3:46pm
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by kipman725 kipman725 wrote:

Any idea of 2ohm load performance?

All testing on my side are halted until the new resistors arrives.

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 8:52am
I doubt that I will need anything like that kind of current draw. Doubt that I could get it anyway in the countryside. 100v is hard work. That is one reason I have the Yamaha px10's I can take them pretty much anywhere they will do the job without tripping. Won't run hogs I know. But they work for what I want. I do have pl4 when I can use them. I seen to many sound men with ampere clamps running around sweating.
So, how does it sound?
Are they a direct rip off of a powersoft or something else or has there been some design work done by the maker?  
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:41am
Yes - maybe post some detailed internal pics...   Smile

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:06am
Originally posted by doller doller wrote:

I doubt that I will need anything like that kind of current draw. Doubt that I could get it anyway in the countryside. 100v is hard work. That is one reason I have the Yamaha px10's I can take them pretty much anywhere they will do the job without tripping. Won't run hogs I know. But they work for what I want. I do have pl4 when I can use them. I seen to many sound men with ampere clamps running around sweating.
So, how does it sound?
Are they a direct rip off of a powersoft or something else or has there been some design work done by the maker?  

The Power Factor Correction makes the K30 consume a lot of current if you were going to use it on 120 volts while idling. I cannot imagine what the K30 would do on 100 volts. When I measured the K 30's idle current on 120 volts (20-A Circuit), the current was fluctuating from 0.65 Amps to 11.46 Amps. That is without a load and, no input signal. The cycling continues until you turn off the amplifier.

The start up time is also longer with less voltage at the amplifier's disposal. On 250 volts, the amplifier stabilises in 2-3 seconds from a cold start. On 120 volts, the amplifier can take anywhere from 7 – 9 seconds to stabilise using a household 20-A Circuit.

At the moment, the only amplifier I have compared the K30 to is QSC (Class H). I bought the K30 solely for low-midrange since, I do not need another Bass Amplifier.

Matching the output voltage of the QSC and K30, the QSC offers a more richer tone in the low mid section whereas, the K30 supersedes the QSC on dynamic Attack. With both amplifier's output voltage  matched using a 55 Hz sine wave and, were evaluated -20 dB from clipping, the K30 shines over the QSC from a percussion perspective. However, from a male vocal standpoint, the QSC sounds more prominent than the K30.

Since the K30 will be used with the QSC amplifiers, it's not a matter of picking one over the other. However, if I had to take a choice between the two, I would lean towards the K30 and, make minor EQ adjustments. I only own QSC Class H amplifiers so, my thoughts may have been different if I was comparing QSC Class D to the K30.

I have not compared the K30 to Crown's Class I and Peavey's Class D amplifiers (Those are the modern amplifiers I use for Bass) at the moment. If bass is the main reason you are considering the K30, I can give you an analysis from a tonal standpoint where the K30 stands against the Crown Class I, and Peavey Class D amplifiers by the end of May. If you are using old iron, I can compare the tonal characteristics to my Crown 5000vz amplifiers.

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 16 May 2021 at 11:15am
Elliot Thompson
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

Yes - maybe post some detailed internal pics...   Smile

I will post pics in the usual spot by the end of next week.

Best Regards,
Elliot Thompson
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 August 2021 at 10:13am
So Elliot, can you share you tonal experience of the amp now?
I am really interested in how it sound. You have the 5000vz so that should be a nice amp to compare the sound with.
TY.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>