Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

4mm cable VS serious power

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2021 at 11:34pm
  I have to ask, why do you need cables that long? For mobile gigs I can usually get away with a 10m to one stack and a 5m to the other, It's rare that I need to use more than a 20m cable even on a permanent install. 

Edited by njw - 12 June 2021 at 11:35pm
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 12:54am
I think we all know that that having the amp racks as close to the speakers as possible and speaker cables as short as possible is the best options but there are many situations that this is simply not viable or the safest option.

Edited by billso - 13 June 2021 at 12:55am
msoundsystem View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msoundsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 9:25am
Before covid the system was out 2,3 times a week in different configurations depending on what the client hired, festivals to clubs.. 2core was the best option because can use it in any situation any configurations so works out perfectly and never let me down in 10 years. Im not interested in moving amp racks closer with 2m cables or swapping amps because my system does what it needs to and promoters and customers go wild for it so no need to change. 

I was simply asking if doubling up the cable thickness to the cabs would help..

I already know about DF.

4D View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 11:54am
Originally posted by Aman Gebru Aman Gebru wrote:

Your problem is damping factor and power handling of the cable.

The total system damping factor of a VZ5000 driven 2 ohms per channel on a single 4mm2 cable will be 19, which is ridiculously low. I wouldn't even go near an amp/speaker combo with a damping factor of less than 50, and ideally 100.

Even if you doubled up the 4mm2 cable DF would only get to around 34.

Power reaching the speaker on a single run of 4mm2 would be 4504 watts, so you've lost 500 watts.

Max power handling for the single cable would be 1600 watts.

All rise and hail.. 

Be interested the formula to calculate the damping factor for amps/swg/length
DMZ. "The bass was intense. Girls were literally running up to stand next to the subs"
toastyghost View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toastyghost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

The total system damping factor of a VZ5000 driven 2 ohms per channel on a single 4mm2 cable will be 19, which is ridiculously low. I wouldn't even go near an amp/speaker combo with a damping factor of less than 50, and ideally 100.

Power reaching the speaker on a single run of 4mm2 would be 4504 watts, so you've lost 500 watts.

All rise and hail.. 

500 watts sounds like a lot, which is why I converted it to actual decibel loss 😅

Funnily enough the manual for the VZ5000 has a section on this, and a little tool to figure out the cable thickness needed for a given cable length and desired DF. It’s on pg. 18.

The load that msoundsystem is using currently is 4 ohms when connecting two boxes on one run of cable with a link, which gives a source resistance of .1 Ohms for a desired DF of 50. That means a minimum of AWG 10 for a 25 metre cable, or >5 mm squared.

For a more general way of calculating it, refer to John Eargle’s book Electroacoustical Reference Data:

Don’t forget that total cable length is 2x the distance from amp to cabinet.

But a little bit of maths on the cable and the driver’s DC resistance shows that DF is often misunderstood and very, very often over-rated in terms of it’s importance. A nice and easy to follow example is here:
https://linea-research.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/LR%20Download%20Assets/Tech%20Docs/Damping%20factor%20debunked%20-01a.pdf

Edited by toastyghost - 13 June 2021 at 1:02pm
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by toastyghost toastyghost wrote:

Originally posted by 4D 4D wrote:

All rise and hail.. 

500 watts sounds like a lot, which is why I converted it to actual decibel loss 😅

Funnily enough the manual for the VZ5000 has a section on this, and a little tool to figure out the cable thickness needed for a given cable length and desired DF. It’s on pg. 18.

The load that msoundsystem is using currently is 4 ohms when connecting two boxes on one run of cable with a link, which gives a source resistance of .1 Ohms for a desired DF of 50. That means a minimum of AWG 10 for a 25 metre cable, or >5 mm squared.

For a more general way of calculating it, refer to John Eargle’s book Electroacoustical Reference Data:

Don’t forget that total cable length is 2x the distance from amp to cabinet.

But a little bit of maths on the cable and the driver’s DC resistance shows that DF is often misunderstood and very, very often over-rated in terms of it’s importance. A nice and easy to follow example is here:

that Linea paper explains it very well. but just thinking logically - how could the amplifier possibly know what part of the electrical resistance is the driver's Re and which is the (much smaller) resistance of the cable? It can't - therefore the cable resistance cannot have a significant effect on amplifier performance.
fat_brstd View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fat_brstd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 2:03pm
So what sort of cable do you need to use to cover a long distance, using all the cores of an 8 core cable to drive a pair of scoops, 8 x 4mm in a single cable, everything else (kick, lo-mid, hi-mid, tops) on another 8 x 4mm core cable. Is there a better solution than this for 30m + runs (60m there and back).

I had a show lined up the other day (Cancelled because of Covid, proper shit) that we were going to have to run 75m+ of speaker cable and the plan was all on 2.5mm Socapex via NL8 tails because we wanted amps at FOH. How do they do the cable runs to delay stacks on main stage festival stages? Thats a huge distance to cover.
Adrians Wall Sound System
Melbournes Rootical Warrior
Roots - Dub - Steppers

facebook page
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 4:09pm
You normally put the amp racks under the decks the delay stacks sit on and just run mains and xlr out to them.or even local gen set and wireless .
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 5:32pm
Or even fly the racks behind the arrays. It makes sense from every angle to put the amps as close as possible to the speakers.

Of course with digital signal distro and networked DSP / monitoring its much easier to see what’s going on from anywhere else. But even with analogue racks i cant see a situation where having your racks at FOH is desirable.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 6:04pm
Having your amp racks at FOH is desirable and sensible when you have no need or budget to put barriers , fencing or security around you speakers.
csg View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 7:43pm
Under those circumstances the gig shouldn’t happen.
“The fact is this is about identifying what we do best and finding more ways of doing less of it better”
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2021 at 8:36pm
Seriously why ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>