Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trouble removing V18-1000 cone

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pinyorouk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2021 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Earplug Earplug wrote:

I suppose the real question here is if the recone kit actually has a similar ring on it to be glued on - and what the fook is the glue they used on the thing in the 1st place!!  Smile

Epoxy? Acetone works with rubber based glues. . 

Edited by Pinyorouk - 14 June 2021 at 8:23pm
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2021 at 7:52am
Hi  there,

That ring is a plastic spacer with one spider glued each side. it is glued to the basket and maybe screwed. to remove screws if any present pull the top spacer ring off the first spider if there is one, then remove the  first spider and you will see the screws.

The best way to get the spacer  out is to get something down the side of the basket and ring and pry it out slowley all the way round it is held in place with contact adhesive.

when removing parts and cleaning old glue put tape over the air gap to stop debris getting in, as it can be very hard to remove.
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
mi mong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mi mong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 3:46pm
im sure there were no screws in my voids......i just used a sharp chisel to break the bond....hope this helps Wink
i went out today in my dressing gown......
Earplug View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earplug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 June 2021 at 5:08pm
Have you tried heat? That does sound like the best/only option for that driver.

Earplugs Are For Wimps!
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2021 at 2:18am
I reconed some V18-1000 the other day and we had the same variant as your drivers.

The way i got them out was with a chisel and lightly tap it inbetween the slight gap all the way round and lever it slightly. Do not over do it as you will crack or mark the basket. Also make sure you tape the air gap to stop debris entering the gap.

When it comes to reconing them clean the old glue off the basket then use some masking tape on card and slide it in the gap collecting any bits that may be stuck down there, make sure nothing is left in the gap at all or it will be pointless doing the recone.

Also make sure when you drop the kit in the tinsel leads are inline with the basket terminals.

For glue you can use standard contact ashesive i have never had a problem or use Evo-stik 528. For the dustcaps i use a rubber toughened Ca glue.

Edited by hmaudio - 20 June 2021 at 7:21am
Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12