Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > 12v Powered Systems
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

48v PV/Lithium system - Build in progress

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 6:54am
Nice ! Beware the cost of the Radsok connectors needed to go on the Pylontechs. Just realised we will need a few to reach the batts in the trailer !

.p.

Mostly harmless.... except if catering is shut.

Solar Sound System Shennanigans..http://diyhifi.biz/
monkeypuzzle View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Phil B Phil B wrote:

We have the 3000c 's

Our new toys arrived this morning !!

.p.

I picked up the spacer brackets that fit between them but it looks like they aren't for when you rack mount, are you planning on putting a 1u space between them in the rack? I'd rather not but can't find any info as to whether they need space for cooling...
blah blah blah blah blah......
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 9:09am
Haven't worked out how we are going to mount them in the trailer yet, provisional idea is 2 next to each other on each side of the trailer. Plan was to empty the trailer this weekend and start measuring up...BUT of course we are in our 5th lockdown and at home....sigh.

Not sure about the air gap, and like you I couldn't find anything about it but we are a bit concerned about mounting in a rattly trailer ! So it's probably gonna be some kind of suspended rack frame for each unit.

.p.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 8:32pm

Nearly done! 

I would have done it a little different if I'd realised how inflexible 70mm cable is. tbh i should have known, it just didn't occur...Confused 

I've still got to wire in the lines from the panel mount MC4 connectors to the fuses and then we're good to go. I've got three 330w panels so far and hopefully should be able to pick up another 6 once its earning money. I'm really pleased with how plug and play the Studer has been. On the surface, its VERY complicated but with it linked to the Studer MPPT, the RCC control, the CAN BUS convertor and the battery it all just seems to talk happily amongst itself. 

The batteries came 50% charged so I set that up and you can easily limit the input current so it can take into account different inputs from a single 13a plug (i limited that at 8A and it got warm!) to a small genny or a full 32/1. 

I had it charging at 8A as I said and put two 650w lights on the other end and it dropped the charge current automatically and diverted power where it was needed. I assume this will work the other way if we're using a 5KVA genny and need a bit more every now and then, this will come from the batteries. This means we can spec smaller gennies and run them more efficiently or if solar is enough just charge from that.

I have eve energy home automation switches with power metering on them that I'll put one on the stack to monitor power draw during live acts and the dj sets and I'll have another for the all the backline so I can see what that draws separately. The idea is to build up a database of average consumptions for a variety of scenarios and spec to that  rather than just peak draw.

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 21 July 2021 at 8:34pm
imageoven View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imageoven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 July 2021 at 10:11pm
Looking good.

I'm interested in the capability without the generator and assuming poor solar performance. 

How long (ballpark) to recharge from a 13a supply?
Could you potentially finish a festival stage gig one night, drive the batteries home to recharge and return to the festival the next day?

Good luck with the gig.
Keep pushing on, things are gonna get better.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by imageoven imageoven wrote:

Looking good.

I'm interested in the capability without the generator and assuming poor solar performance. 

How long (ballpark) to recharge from a 13a supply?
Could you potentially finish a festival stage gig one night, drive the batteries home to recharge and return to the festival the next day?

Good luck with the gig.

I'm also trying to set it up on the assumption that there will be no sunshine and that anything gained from the panels is a bonus as its just not reliable enough. Regarding charging overnight, I have 13.5kwh  of battery, if they were discharged to 90-95% I'd say you'd probably need a 32/1 installed at home to get a guarantee that they'd be back up to spec (if you're leaving site at midnight and returning at 9 am thats not long by the time you got home and plugged it in)

However, the other part of this system is about better generator loading. We all spec max power from generators and for good reason but then we run them at really low load most of the time especially overnight so they run REALLY inefficiently. If you chuck the battery bank on one of these sets thats just powering the overnight cabins you'll be making good use of an engine burning through diesel for not much reason. Also, if you take it home, you'd batter have a pure renewables contract!
billso View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2021 at 1:53pm
Monkeypuzzle that looks ace will try and come and have listen one day.Philb. what's the point of the breakers on the solar panels ? .can't work it out.
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2021 at 10:10am
Originally posted by billso billso wrote:

Monkeypuzzle that looks ace will try and come and have listen one day.Philb. what's the point of the breakers on the solar panels ? .can't work it out.

Short circuit protection mainly for each panel string...don't want to fry our Midnite Solar controller ? The fold down panels on the side of the trailer get plugged in and out after transport and sometimes peeps forget to switch the panels off and plug / unplug them in direct sun..!

.p.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2021 at 3:23pm
Gig!

The inverter + 4 x Pylontech US3000C batteries powering:

4 x Turner A500 - 8 x Tham 15
2 x Turner B502 - 4 x Custom 15 mid
2 x Turner B302 - 4 x 2" RCF comps

2 x Outline Tnine - Mons (current limited)
1 x  K10 - Mons (current limited)
Bass and a few guitar amps
DJ kit
FOH desk

Highest I saw the output meter going was just above 2kva but the level all on, no signal was about 1kva.

We ran the system from 12 noon until 8 pm and were still at 33% left when we finished the gig.

I've only got 3 x 330w panels so far and hope to get 6 more. The day was pretty overcast but they were on average putting about 200-250w into the system although when the sun did come through it hit 900+ watts. The system has an SD card on it and logs the use so when I get it out of the van I'll look through that and check the peaks. That goes for the inverter as well so I can do a post mortem on power use.

I've got a load of old and unuseable Slick truss so I reckon I'll build some kind of frame that I can easily rotate as the sun moves.

Some folks having a great old time! It was a struggle to convince people that it could and would go ahead but given the last year and a half we've had I'm not surprised we had over 400 folks dancing to some of Manchesters best bands and rinsed out the jungle at the end!

It was the first time I've had the whole system out as a full unit and it performed really well and I'm more than happy with the battery system. It does need a trailer of its own as even with the lithium batts, its pretty heavy and the idea of packing 9 panels in the back of a van full of rig is just a bad idea....
Phil B View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2021 at 1:04am
Looking good Mr Monkey. Like you we are looking at a frame for some ground mounted extra solar panels that can follow the sun. Been toying with the idea of motorised jockey wheels to do it automatically !
Finally got a start on our new gear...only to have Lockdown #6 thrown at us ...sigh.
I did manage to get most things wired up, fired it all up once and the batt extension cables to Radsok connectors made up, Rich mounted the Victron Multi to a new frame and is making up some wooden sleeves for the Pylontechs to live hanging vertically side my side ... a work in progress

madboffin View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madboffin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by monkeypuzzle monkeypuzzle wrote:

4 x Turner A500 - 8 x Tham 15
2 x Turner B502 - 4 x Custom 15 mid
2 x Turner B302 - 4 x 2" RCF comps

mmm, vintage Turners, lovely things!
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monkeypuzzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 10:54pm
I've used the battery bank quite a few times from powering moving heads for a corridor of light on Oxford road to some Danley boxes for the Manchester COP 26 demo. I also ran a whole night of LED floods and Pars, festoon and caterers (not the coffee van!) for Lamplighter in Todmorden. It's basically an illuminated trail around a park but to do it all with battery power was just great.

And then this Sunday I finally got the rig out in the fields near my house. only two stacks this time but with my new Soundgear amps and a CA6 I picked up. All I can say is... Wow! Ran for 6 hours and the state of charge had dropped to 77%. We weren't slamming it and it was only half the rig but that's such a change to the Turners. I love them very much but for the price of the Soundgear amps, the sound quality is fine and they're working out really efficient. The Turners are a mains only thing from now on...

I can really recommend this kind of set up. No noisy generator to lug about and refill. The initial investment is relatively high but if you're doing quite a few gigs its well worth it and given that it can deliver up to 20 kva on peaks it will handle a good sized system on it with a well specced battery bank...

Edited by monkeypuzzle - 16 May 2022 at 11:09pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>