FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Suggestions for earthing EAW crossover

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggestions for earthing EAW crossover
    Posted: 22 July 2021 at 4:15am
Originally posted by Tinnitus Rex Tinnitus Rex wrote:

I think the best thing you could do is not use the words "live, neutral and earth" at all when working on or discussing a passive speaker.
The panel clearly says "monitor"on pin 7 , why are you calling it "earth"? your just confusing yourself and others.

Good advice, brain wasn't functioning correctly after stressing out about the whole thing for a fairly long period of time, and getting lots of different people tell me very different things!
www.requiem-soundsystem.com

Custom Martin Audio WSX, USB & CSG Soundsystem based in Bristol
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2021 at 3:59am
Originally posted by smoore smoore wrote:

Alright mate he's only asking because he doesn't know... And if there is a diagram saying it's an Earth then it's probably worth asking LOL

I suspect you should ignore the diagram, I actually wrote down the wiring colours I used but I'm 200 miles away from the boxes and can't confirm whether this is wiring I attached or wiring from the box. I think its the wiring already in there as we have Yellow. I also did some tests to check I had the correct phases but I can't remember what. Anyway -> 

LF Black negative

LF Blue Postive

HF Black negative

HF White Postive

Yellow Monitor 

Thanks mate! I had the yellow and the white confused and that was where my issue is. I originally cut off the white thinking it was a redundant earth when i should have cut off the yellow. The diagrams from EAW show an earth. And the socoplex cables that plugged into them had 6 black cables and a yellow and green cable (which must have been monitor) which is the colour for earth in UK which is where I got confused, went through a massive ballache setting up a trade account and signing an NDA to get the stuff aswell. Have the whites still inside the cab and its all done with choc-blocks so easy procedure to switch it all over :)

Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 2:20pm
Why yes, how else could they get them to  be struck by lightening ,perhaps thats why they removed them?You could use these under ground without an earth  I suppose  , it occured to me that maybe the monitor out on pin 7 is composite video?...................................Jehovah

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 18 July 2021 at 2:37pm
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 11:49am
They might actually have a "ground". Since they were installed at a stadium, they might have "earth" to protect the system from lightnings.

Edited by MarjanM - 18 July 2021 at 11:49am
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 10:46pm
LOL

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 2:26pm
All good , just to finish off ,in a John Cleese voice  "I dont want anyone to connect the yellow wire to anything ,and I want to make this absolutly clear ...even if they do say johovah"
smoore View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 6:35pm
Alright mate he's only asking because he doesn't know... And if there is a diagram saying it's an Earth then it's probably worth asking LOL

I suspect you should ignore the diagram, I actually wrote down the wiring colours I used but I'm 200 miles away from the boxes and can't confirm whether this is wiring I attached or wiring from the box. I think its the wiring already in there as we have Yellow. I also did some tests to check I had the correct phases but I can't remember what. Anyway -> 

LF Black negative

LF Blue Postive

HF Black negative

HF White Postive

Yellow Monitor 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 7:45pm
I think the best thing you could do is not use the words "live, neutral and earth" at all when working on or discussing a passive speaker.
The panel clearly says "monitor"on pin 7 , why are you calling it "earth"? your just confusing yourself and others.
Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 12:16pm

Freddy, I got 4 of the same cabs from Ollie with the same passive X-over inside and they sound fine without any extra grounding? I can't remember if I read it or worked out that the extra signal cable going into the IP connectors is an over-ride signal / alarm / emergency thing they needed for when there was a fire or some such thing in the stadium..

I did think this originally but after sourcing the wiring diagrams from EAW it shows to be an earth!

Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by fat_brstd fat_brstd wrote:

Can you bin off the crossover entirely and just go 3 way active? Sounds like an easier way to go about it as you should be able to get rid of the earth.

I've never heard of a box that needed to be grounded for a crossover to work. As above I would have thought sense wires and some bullshit proprietary controller but I'm still not sure exactly how the earth could work.

Any chance its something to do with 100V line runs or the drivers are a weird high impedance so they can daisy chain lots of them?

I really want more info on these boxes

AFAIK all of the drivers in the box are 8 ohm, well not too sure about the HF but the mid and LF drivers are for sure.

Binning off the crossover entirely and running on an NL8 was my other possibility if I couldn't get these to work, but I've already bought all the cabling and installed dual NL4 cnc cut panels on the back with connectors and wired them up, and running 3 way would need I would need to buy another amp and another bigger amprack to fit it all in, and would mean all the work I had done so far was useless which wouldn't be ideal! But ive got to the frustration level point right now where I was about to rip all the x-overs out, yes LOL

Requiem View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Requiem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 12:08pm

Here we go. I wired NL4's into mine and just run the 12"s in parallel. The yellow cable was just left wrapped in tape. They sound great!

Yeah I binned these panels haha, so the yellow cable was the earth and the white cable is the neutral for the x-over? Are you sure? This might be where I'm muddling things up, I was using the yellow cable as the neutral and leaving the white cable off thinking it was ground, 

Ill try switching them over, I've been having a right nightmare with it, I did the same as you and linked the 12"s together to make a 4 ohm cab and then ran them on the +1/-1 of the NL4, and then linked what I thought was the +/- of the x-over to the +2/-2 of the NL4...

So with the black and the yellow of the x-over connected the speakers seem really muffled and the HF seems to be coming from the mid driver which isnt right, and when I was trying to sort it out I put the white into the same terminal on the nl4 as the yellow to see what would happen and then seemed to get a tonne of HF out of the HF driver but absolutely no mid from the 10", when I put the white onto the same terminal as the black I got nothing, so after looking at the wiring diagrams I thought it must be an earth problem, ill try swapping over and leaving the yellow unconnected and see how I get on..

DJ-Dulux View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ-Dulux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2021 at 7:37am
A voice evacuation system would be present in the venue most likely, Pin 7 will be the way the Mid / high drivers are monitored to ensure its working. We used to have units that sent 20kHz test signal around the drivers, if it dropped the system would fault. This looks like an alternative to that.

Dupe...
Dupe...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>