Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help powersoft D4002 potentiometers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natedub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help powersoft D4002 potentiometers
    Posted: 15 July 2021 at 1:19pm
Hello I have a few old Powersoft d4002 that require new volume pots (crackling/ Loss of sound when turned) I cannot identify a replacement. They say b2k on them so are a 2k ohm pot and they turn one complete turn and have a 6mm split shaft. Does anyone know what they are or where I can source suitable replacements? I can't find any exact matches on mouser, RS etc. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards
Nathan
simonp1100 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2021 at 3:35pm
i have sent you a PM.
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 4:06pm
I always Spray Servisol super 10 up the legs of the pot by melting the end of lube tube to form a 90 degree bend .lasts years ,just repeat when necessary. pots never really wear out on amps  ,and it is a big hassle swapping them out, they only need replacing if they are physically broken.
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 4:24pm
Spraying pot's with Spray Servisol super 10 is a temporary 'FIX' & the problem will get worse over time and it WILL fail again. Pot's DO wear out, the constant rubbing of the wiper around the circumference of the carbon track as the pot is turned up and down wears the carbon track out and then you get points along the track that have no carbon and you get a null / blank spot. LOL

Edited by simonp1100 - 17 July 2021 at 4:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 5:11pm
Whatever replace by all means  . Ive been using this method  on many amps that are 30 years old ,its included in the good old "regular servicing" that many people often neglect . The duty cycle of pots  are in the hundreds of thousands .As carbon is very hard  it is usualy the gold plating that rubs of the wiper and corrosian of the base metal that makes them go "dry" and crackle ,thats why if you "work" them this improves , this happens very quickly in "new" pots ( manufacturer dont recomend using their products in less than ideal environments) Humidity  effects  pots badly ,along with just not using equipment for long periods of time.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simonp1100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 5:41pm
I have tried this method of just spraying switch cleaner in dirty / crackly pot's in my early days of repairing audio equipment and while this does fix the problem, long term it does not and has come back to bite me. 

Most customers want long term reliability of the repair, & so early on i knew to replace pot's rather than just clean them.

If it's to get you out of a jam, then clean them with switch cleaner, but long term replace the pot. Clap
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 6:01pm
I find in many cases it is tarnishing of silver contacts that causes the issue.  Switch cleaner/lubricant can work but is most effective if you dismantle the pot and clean the tracks and wipers. Just squirting it in doesn't really solve the issue.

Pots wear out with regular use (mixing desk/DJ mixer faders) but amplifier pots are more likely to be dirt or tarnishing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 7:08pm
Good point ,On those exotic pots that no one sells , I have suceeded in repairing them where the rivet/crimp joining the track to the solder tag has gone open circuit  . I use a little pot of silver conductive paint I bought from maplins 25 years ago ,it still comes in handy for mending things where heat is a no no or solder fails to stick.
Make do and mend I say.

Edited by Tinnitus Rex - 17 July 2021 at 7:12pm
 Post Reply Post Reply