Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Electro Frying Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PHL 15" Woes and Whoas

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meat Substitute Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PHL 15" Woes and Whoas
    Posted: 15 July 2021 at 8:53pm
Having some trouble with a couple of PHL 5320P that I have; I think they've shifted. Coils read ok by the multimeter but stiff movement.

Any PHL whisperers on here? Someone posted recently saying they've realigned their magnets...? Would be nice if that's possible and economic.

Otherwise, any recommended drivers to swap out for (BMS 15S330 or 15N620 were what I was looking at)? If anyone has these drivers in/near Manc I'd love to give them a go if that's possible..?
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 9:48am
Unfortunately PHL's are quite susceptible to it.  Seen it a few times with Nexo PS15's etc.

Realignment is theoretically possible, very rarely done in practice.
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 9:57pm
PHL make some beautiful sounding drivers, however I have always found them to be fragile.
ceharden View Drop Down
The 10,000 Points Club
The 10,000 Points Club

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ceharden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2021 at 10:53pm
Kind of like the Alfa Romeo of the loudspeaker driver world
concept-10 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concept-10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 10:41am
Originally posted by ceharden ceharden wrote:

Kind of like the Alfa Romeo of the loudspeaker driver world

Exactly this
lickweed View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lickweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 12:22pm
+1 got 3 with seized magnets

http://www.liquidsound.co.uk/
FOO View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 12:27pm
Funny thing. 12 Mach Ballister subs bashing around for years, and not a single issue at All. Rock solid performance and loaded with PHL Smile
Tinnitus Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinnitus Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 July 2021 at 4:32pm
 If a cone is "tight" but not locked it could be that the voice coil former has shrunk by overheating ,coil reads ok but they tend to blister and pinch the pole piece over time  . Ive done a lot of cone autopsies  , conclusion (mostly)...replace and live happy
"couldn't we just like... use headphones?"
hmaudio View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hmaudio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2021 at 6:29am
If anyone on here has a driver with a shifted ferrite magnet i can rebuild them. If the former has not been badly deformed or damaged i can also try and reuse the kits but is not guaranteed.

Nottingham based cab builder. https://www.facebook.com/HMAudio-154352667920145/?ref=bookmarks
This account is used by 2 people.
Bams View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2021 at 10:22am
Anecdotical but still. a few years ago i needed loads of speaker chassis for a float: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIlAY9CXQOAstill awesome by the way...

Contacted a few rental houses. one of the larger ones (if not the one with the largest non-linearray stock in the netherlands) told me to come on over and see what i could carry. they had literally a few pallet-sized gitterboxes full with PHL drivers with shifted magnets. for larger gigs with a few stages more than 50 kilometers away the carried extra cabs due to this issue.. took 30 chassis home with me that day.. 

Edited by Bams - 28 July 2021 at 10:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply