Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8x EV 15L - need your oppinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8x EV 15L - need your oppinion
    Posted: 18 August 2021 at 10:17pm
Hello Guys ,

i have to make a decision. 
currently i have 7 ev 15l speakers (all working) and the 8th one is arriving shortly. iam looking for cab suggestions. 
i know that the 15l has problems (low xmax / no real sub  , low power handling, outdated design) but i want to give those 8 speakers a new live and dont sell them.
i planned on using WinISD to design my own br cabs , tuned to 45-50hz and just be content with having no real subs. 
a friend of mine is a carpenter and would build the cabs & i would have to pay "just" wood. was planning to use 15mm seapine plywood and just use a lot of bracing (since they have low power handling , i should be fine ?)

do you know what to do better (open for suggestions)

me and my friend group throw bigger private parties from time to time (200pers) and the music is mostly techno. 

thanks in advance. 

Elliot Thompson View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2021 at 3:59am

The Electro-voice 15 L is a full-range speaker. Specifically designed for Lead Guitar hence the model 15 L. It is more efficient than the 15 inch drivers offered today. They should be around 103 dB, 1-watt, 1 meter (no: 7.2%). You can use them in Horn-Loaded Straight Horns or Bass Reflex Cabinets. The 15 L will not offer much bass below 60 Hertz. With a 2.5 inch voice coil and, low Le figures, it is ideal for midrange applications. This is where they offered the best performance.

As for power, you can safely feed each 15L up to 600 watts RMS as they offered a 800 watt Peak Power Rating. Anything beyond 600 watts you will encounter power compression from 60 Hz on up. That is pretty much what I fed my 15B's when I used them in the 1990's.

Bear in mind, Electro-voice 15L recone kits were discontinued before the 1990's. So, you may have 15B kits sitting in 15L chassis. As the chassis are interchangeable, the only way you can tell the difference amongst the two models would be the cones.

Best Regards,  

Elliot Thompson
Conanski View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conanski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 5:03am
I think you are going to want subs, but 8 of those drivers will produce more than enough low/mid for a kick ass personal backyard party system. 
Peter Jan View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Jan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2021 at 2:29pm
I used several of these during the eighties in TL606 cabs, which is just a straightforward BR cab, with the option to change the tuning by blocking (or not ) part of the BR port.
Very efficient, allround bass down to ~45-50 Hz with the lowest tuning and a bit of EQ. As long as you used enough of them, you could certainly get by without subs. 300-350 Watts for each speaker was plenty ( and about the max RMS power amps in those days could deliver ;-) )
The higher tuning offered more punchy bass from 60-70 and up, but needed dedicated subs for an overall balanced sound.
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2021 at 3:13am
Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

The Electro-voice 15 L is a full-range speaker. Specifically designed for Lead Guitar hence the model 15 L.

Nope, that is the most commonly shared falsehood about them on the internet.

Quote It is more efficient than the 15 inch drivers offered today.

Again... No. There's plenty of low power : high efficiency drivers still in production today. Many of them clones/derivations of the EVM15L.

Quote They should be around 103 dB, 1-watt, 1 meter (no: 7.2%). You can use them in Horn-Loaded Straight Horns or Bass Reflex Cabinets. The 15 L will not offer much bass below 60 Hertz. With a 2.5 inch voice coil and, low Le figures, it is ideal for midrange applications. This is where they offered the best performance.

As for power, you can safely feed each 15L up to 600 watts RMS as they offered a 800 watt Peak Power Rating. Anything beyond 600 watts you will encounter power compression from 60 Hz on up. That is pretty much what I fed my 15B's when I used them in the 1990's.

That's a very quick way to punch the VC through the cone with an EVM... Feed *actual* 600W to one of those drivers and you'll be getting your wallet out for a recone. Amplifier power rating =/= power delivered.

Quote Bear in mind, Electro-voice 15L recone kits were discontinued before the 1990's. So, you may have 15B kits sitting in 15L chassis. As the chassis are interchangeable, the only way you can tell the difference amongst the two models would be the cones.

They were in production well into the 00's under different model designations. The kits are still available though really not cheap. Depending on the application you're using them for the aftermarket kits can also be perfectly serviceable.

Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2021 at 3:34am
They're great drivers, even by todays standards if you look at the likes of the Oberton 15L400 and a number of Fane, Eminence, etc. drivers and rapidly see where they draw their lineage.

They are absolutely not Sub or Heavy Bass capable, do not even try it. You'll also have to be absolutely religious about the high-pass filter.

If you're planning to use them for anything more than pub-band level stuff then you'll need subs below them.

The best boxes for them IMO is the TL606AR (or ARX) as built by Shuttlesound (previously the UK EV distributor). I have the plans for these if you are interested and IMO it is a considerably nicer take on the design than the original TL606 designs from the EV handbook.

Shame you're not in the UK as you could buy mine LOL
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 6:08am

Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

Nope, that is the most commonly shared falsehood about them on the internet.

I own Electro-voice EVM 15 B, EVM 15L, in addition to numerous other Electro-voice Speakers. Why would I be concerned about what the “ shared falsehood about them on the internet” when I have documentations from Electro-voice. In addition to having the capability of literally measuring the TS Parameters of the drivers.

Again... No. There's plenty of low power : high efficiency drivers still in production today. Many of them clones/derivations of the EVM15L.

I don't recall the topic was about a carbon copy of the Electro-voice EVM 15L. I am talking about the original.

That's a very quick way to punch the VC through the cone with an EVM... Feed *actual* 600W to one of those drivers and you'll be getting your wallet out for a recone. Amplifier power rating =/= power delivered.

And that is based upon what? Your opinion? How can one debate what “they feel” against a user offering real-world conditions based on their experience?

I think you better stop for, you are just showing your lack of experience using the Electro-voice EVM.

They were in production well into the 00's under different model designations. The kits are still available though really not cheap. Depending on the application you're using them for the aftermarket kits can also be perfectly serviceable.

If you were familiar with after market kits, they never sound like the originals. Why should they? They are carbon copies of the originals. So what was the point of you trying to contradict everything I said again?

Best Regards,

Elliot Thompson
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 7:08am
Near everything in your original post was complete pigshite is why... Wacko

Owning kit =/= qualification on it. Funnily enough I own it too and have had plenty of use of it. Trying to swing that as some sort of "I say so, that makes it fact" instead of actually having any proof is nonsense.

The L in the 15L doesn't stand for Lead, nowhere in the original documentation is that stated. There's been a few anecdotal instances of EV themselves denying it too if you care to google them even briefly. Nor was it specifically designed for Lead Guitar, it has only ever been marketed with some derivation of "suitable for instrument and sound reinforcement applications".

I was addressing your inaccurate statement (as is bloody obvious given the quote directly above it) that modern 15" drivers are not efficient. There are a great deal of them.

That is based upon a user offering real-world conditions based on their experience... Never mind the collective experience of many real-world users. Where do you think the practise of coating the neck of the cone with lacquer to reinforce it came from? The motor on those drivers is more than capable of pushing the cone past it's excursion limit and separating the neck from the rest of the cone (it's also the most common failure seen on them).

As for the power, go and learn about duty-cycle and crest factor. If you still believe you can feed an EVM15 600Wrms without it rapidly dying, let alone safely, then any further discussion would be like trying to play chess with a pigeon.

I think you better stop, for you are just showing your lack of experience and understanding of the equipment and the basic principles of it's operation LOL

I won't knock anyone for having learning difficulties so I'll give you a little help with that last one:
Quote Depending on the application you're using them for the aftermarket kits can also be perfectly serviceable.
Quote Depending on the application you're using them for the aftermarket kits can also be perfectly serviceable.
Quote Depending on the application
Quote can
The English language is incredibly effective at communicating ideas and thoughts when you actually take the time to read it properly...
At no point did I say the aftermarket kits are exactly as the originals Shocked
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elliot Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 8:38am

The English language is incredibly effective at communicating ideas and thoughts when you actually take the time to read it properly...

Originally posted by Elliot Thompson Elliot Thompson wrote:

As for the power, go and learn about duty-cycle and crest factor. If you still believe you can feed an EVM15 600Wrms without it rapidly dying, let alone safely, then any further discussion would be like trying to play chess with a pigeon.

I think you better stop, for you are just showing your lack of experience and understanding of the equipment and the basic principles of it's operation LOL

I won't knock anyone for having learning difficulties so I'll give you a little help with that last one:

I guess you missed the "up to" between the 15L and, 600 watts RMS. LOL

Have you driven up to 600 watts RMS into an Electro-voice EVM 15L or 15B from 60 Hertz on up and damaged the driver?

If the answer is yes, share your user errors on how it happened.

If the answer is no, I have no idea why you are so upset that I've done it successfully and never lost a driver. 

Best Regards,

Edited by Elliot Thompson - 24 August 2021 at 8:52am
Elliot Thompson
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 9:31am
I have 16 bfl things. Well 14 because 2 have rubbing voice coils. Not me came like that. Wondering what to do with them. 
I have seen these ragged to hell for a good few hrs. 600w absolutely. I was waiting for them to break and they didn't. Quite a strong speaker me thinks. Taking them out this weekend. Must say not very good by todays standards. Not 50 million watts. Good mid range speaker I think. 
Note, I know the thread is about another ev but I rate them. 
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 9:37am
Not really, ‘up to 600Wrms safely’ means what it says and that’s absolutely pigshite.

That’s like saying “up to 1million” and then backtracking to “I meant 200… that’s in there on the way up!” 🙄

Asserting you have fed them that and they survived unharmed is also misinformed pigshite.

I refer to my previous comments, an amplifier rated at 600Wrms doesn’t mean you’re feeding your speakers anywhere near 600Wrms. Go and learn what crest-factor means as you obviously don’t understand the relationship between signal content and speaker power.

You can’t feed them 60-120Hz on a 500w/8R amplifier with something the crest-factor of live music without them getting beaten up, let alone a setup capable of feeding them anything close to 600Wrms.

You’re either deeply misinformed or knowingly bullshitting, are you sure you shouldn’t be posting in the scoop section?
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 10:41am
Yer scoops where next. Had a couple of beers so laughing about that. It Depends on your high pass. For me anyway. 100hz and ragged. Really at that time i didn't own them they where off a crown amp or Amcron as they are called here. The red one really can't remember what the model is. 900w into 4r maybe. It was clipping hard.
I do get the crest factor etc. It was live rock music, me and a friend were just looking at the speakers and laughing. They have a shiny silicone edge and man could you see just how much excursion was happening. They survived and the owner sold me 4 for 50 qiud. It's real . Like I said mid driver.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>