Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Feedback Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8x EV 15L - need your oppinion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 10:56am
Wasn’t aiming that at you, Doller TongueTongue
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 12:02pm
Like I said dude laughing. No worries.
Put it another way If you get these speakers in a reflex box running off something like a crown xti 4000.
High pass them at 45 or 40 with a 48db slope butterworth or lr up to you. They should take all that the amp can give without breaking. No clipping. Maybe would sound ok. 
Thoughts?
RoadRunnersDust View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2021 at 12:15pm
60-120Hz 24dB/Oct L-R in a TL-606 reflex box on a TSA 4-700 (~500W into 8R) and the cones begin to crease around the neck if you take it to full power (no clipping)

So I’d say no, the EVM15L/B wouldn’t survive any more than that for very long LOL

3.3mm Xmax really limits the amount of punishment they can take and from memory their Xlim/Xdam isn’t as far above that as it would be on a driver with more modern motor design (even the DL15X handles more punishment than the EVM and that’s basically an EVM15B with an updated motor and a demodulation ring)

The DL15BFH also benefits from the DL upgraded motors, etc.

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 24 August 2021 at 12:20pm
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 7:39am
Ok road runner you did the math. I concede. I am talking about my dl15 bfl ( thanks I can never remember that number) 
Looks like you are saying that they are a stronger speaker. Are they? I would never put them in a bass bin. Maybe a kick but still could find much better cheaper. 
I have seen the said creasing on Emmys and Peaveys. Emmys around the cloth surround and Peaveys in the center around the dust cap.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 7:58am
Stronger in that they take more “abuse”…

The BFH is more like the DL version of the FORCE15 (EVM with a baby magnet) so driver-wise it’s swings and roundabouts for performance. They’re definitely not sub drivers either 😂

It’s definitely the cheaper end of the same family whereas the DL15ST or DL15X are a fairer comparison to the EVM15L/B and the 15X definitely takes more abuse.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 8:11am
The original poster doesn't say how old his drivers were, from memory, the early ones were rated at just 100w. I believe that increased with later models.

Interesting thing about these, i think the 2.5 inch coil must be in a very tight gap,which obviously helps the sensitivity, but every one i have owned, the cone excusion allways feels 'rough', as if the coil is rubbing, yet they all play well when in a cabinet.   Thumbs Up
Be seeing you.
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoadRunnersDust Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 10:04am
200Wrms (Thermal) on the early ones later increased to 400Wrms (Thermal) due to a combination of different testing standards and better thermal properties of the glues, lacquers, etc.

Not that it actually matters if you’re using them for bass duty since they’ll mechanically exceed their capacity before they do thermally if fed real-world content instead of test tones

The 12” & 10” versions had a bit more of a non-sensical rating scheme that seems to have varied depending on who they were OEMd to, etc.

The DL series appear to have opened the gap up slightly and lined it with Teflon, it really is like threading a needle on the EVMs which makes cleaning the gap out on a recone *so* much fun 😂

Interestingly the EVM-18B can also be rarely found with familiar Blue labels and an LS-1801e designation… 

Edited by RoadRunnersDust - 25 August 2021 at 10:06am
doller View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 10:21am
Seems like they changed quite a lot over the years. I  said what I said because I read the manual. In there it says 400w. If you want to use them to 40hz cover the ports to stop them bottoming out. Designs are available if you can find them. Also recommended amp  400 to 800w. 
That said who knows what the op has.
I am interested in this thread because I have 14 working ones (Bbfl) in eliminators. DH3 comps x 8 working fine. I just think they could be in a better box. 
I don't want to abuse them but what would you do with them? They cost 54,000 yen 350 quid, here if you buy new. So not a cheap driver. That doesn't guarantee sound quality I no. 
Where to put them? In the bin? rite now used they sell for peanuts.
Road runner sir I am not really into driving things to within an inch of there life. I would rather keep my speakers within there limits. It works out cheaper in the end. That day I was just amazed they didn't break that's all. Made me think that they are better that I thought. 
nebellungen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:45am
600 watts is way too much , even i know that. 
since they are non proline , they are rates for 200.
600-800 would straight up wreck them in seconds & then i gotta recone 8 drivers Wink

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:47am
i think so as well , i will try them out tuned to 45hz i think , with a bit eq and moderate power and see how that works out. 
thanks for the tip

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:49am
Originally posted by Peter Jan Peter Jan wrote:

As long as you used enough of them, you could certainly get by without subs. 300-350 Watts for each speaker was plenty ( and about the max RMS power amps in those days could deliver ;-) )
The higher tuning offered more punchy bass from 60-70 and up, but needed dedicated subs for an overall balanced sound.

thanks for the help ! 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nebellungen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2021 at 11:52am
Originally posted by RoadRunnersDust RoadRunnersDust wrote:

They're great drivers, even by todays standards if you look at the likes of the Oberton 15L400 and a number of Fane, Eminence, etc. drivers and rapidly see where they draw their lineage.

They are absolutely not Sub or Heavy Bass capable, do not even try it. You'll also have to be absolutely religious about the high-pass filter.

The best boxes for them IMO is the TL606AR (or ARX) as built by Shuttlesound (previously the UK EV distributor). I have the plans for these if you are interested and IMO it is a considerably nicer take on the design than the original TL606 designs from the EV handbook.

Shame you're not in the UK as you could buy mine LOL

iam really interested in those boxes , you mind sharing the plans with me ? maybe i will use subs / infras under them one day , but for now i think 40hz lowcut , moderate power and my plan on how i want to use them and for what , i think i dont really need or have the money for subs. 

thanks for the help !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>