Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Plans > Scoops
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Whats the best mini scoop I can get plans for?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats the best mini scoop I can get plans for?
    Posted: 07 September 2021 at 11:15am
As it says on the tin..... I'm just about to put together a small system so I'm currently looking to build some mini scoops. At the moment I can only find Staipers MS-18s but are there any others I can consider? I've already ruled out the MS-46 as the MS-18 looks better suited for me.
Obviously I'd love to build some Shortmans but know the plans aren't available and buying some isn't an option as I want a natural finish and being honest I prefer to self-build. 

Running systems nearly as old as himself!
levyte357- View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 1:11pm
Which drivers do you intend to use?

Global Depopulation - Alive and Killing.
sarsen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarsen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 2:47pm
I believe Mykey released the Rhino mini scoop plans again on facebook recently, so might be worth checking them out too...
Electric Vintage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I have a couple of Fane XBs floating around which I like the sound of. I would rather keep them if possible as it would be easier for me to add more boxes in the future. Whereas the price of PDs, Turbomax etc would make expansion a bit more difficult.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by sarsen1 sarsen1 wrote:

I believe Mykey released the Rhino mini scoop plans again on facebook recently, so might be worth checking them out too...

He has said he is going to release them and would be a very good option. Unless I've missed something though I don't think he has posted them yet.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2021 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Electric Vintage Electric Vintage wrote:

Originally posted by levyte357- levyte357- wrote:

I have a couple of Fane XBs floating around which I like the sound of. I would rather keep them if possible as it would be easier for me to add more boxes in the future. Whereas the price of PDs, Turbomax etc would make expansion a bit more difficult.

I have 4x 4 ohm, brand new, unopened PD1851s for sale.

There are none of these available from any of the retailers in the UK, at the moment.

These are probably the best sounding driver, in the MS-18MK2, or any other, decent Mini Scoop, at the moment.

Edited by levyte357- - 07 September 2021 at 4:57pm
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2021 at 11:16am

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2021 at 11:19am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2021 at 3:32pm
Thanks for the posts. I already have the MS18 plans, I was just seeing if there were anything different. I was even going to see what flat pack options there were out there, but after coming back from the timber yard I may wait a few weeks to see if the price of ply will come down a bit.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by Electric Vintage Electric Vintage wrote:

Thanks for the posts. I already have the MS18 plans, I was just seeing if there were anything different. I was even going to see what flat pack options there were out there, but after coming back from the timber yard I may wait a few weeks to see if the price of ply will come down a bit.

Know someone who has modded the MS18, to be as loud as the Shortman Mini.

I know what I would do to obtain that, and I've got pretty good idea what they did.

Edited by levyte357- - 09 September 2021 at 8:45am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Electric Vintage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2021 at 11:17am
Is it an idea you want to share? Your expertise on scoops is always welcome, especially to a novice like me.

I've never seen inside a Shortman or seen the plans. With what I read though I would guess that the main difference is the chamber size and possibly that the rear panel is sloped as in this picture? I could be completely wrong though.

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote levyte357- Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2021 at 12:00pm
Cannot discuss the internals of Shortman mini, as it is patented design.

Can only discuss how it performs with various drivers.

What makes a full Scoop loud with certain drivers, is different to achieving it with Mini Scoop.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>