Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Amp Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

JBL EON 515 transistor blown off

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaspiclg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: JBL EON 515 transistor blown off
    Posted: 12 September 2021 at 5:50pm
hi, Don't really know if these is the correct forum for my problem, but anyway i need help on my JBL EON 515, Hi, Good day, i hope you can help me on my JBL EON 515 (not XT) the REGULATOR TRANSISTOR q605 & q606 was blown up, and it is really hard for me to get the part number of this transistor as it was badly blown off, i have no idea about this, my friend who has limited knowledge of this one as well told me that maybe it is because of these transistor, please help me in providing the part number of these, and also any other part that needs to be replaced. Thank you very much and have a nice day.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2021 at 6:26pm
From a schematic i found online, the part numbers are these. However, you will need to check all the components in the ciruit around these, as if they have 'blown-up' i'm sure there will be other damage.

Q605
138424-1
IGBT, 20A 600V TRENCH W/DIODE

Q606
138424-1
IGBT, 20A 600V TRENCH W/DIODE

Edited by jbl_man - 12 September 2021 at 6:29pm
Be seeing you.
legaspiclg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaspiclg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2021 at 6:47pm
Hi, Good evening, thank you very much for the big help, and also, the cap is blown off as well, but the value is 1200mf 200v? i tried to search this on ebay but all in uf? what is the compatible value for these.
Thank you again.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2021 at 7:09pm
 Micofarad is uf.  1200mf = 1200uf.
Be seeing you.
jbl_man View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jbl_man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2021 at 7:20pm
If it has blown a 200v capacitor. and fried 20amp/600v regulators, there will be damage to other more sensitive components there as well, everything will need to be checked before turning it on. Suggest your friend proceeds carefully.
Be seeing you.
kedwardsleisure View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 September 2021 at 8:55pm
There is more to this than meets the eye.

These devices are IGBTs, no. IRGB20B60PD1, main SMPSU switches.

JBL have a service bulletin which recommends removing and examining/replacing the heatsink insulator if these have gone as they had problems with leftover swarf in early production of the EON range.

Damage to the 1200uF capacitors suggests another problem, probably a faulty voltage doubler circuit for which there's another service bulletin. If you only use the speakers on 230V then the voltage doubler needs removing, or if you plan on travelling to a 120V country then the doubler relay should be replaced.

If you dont carry out the service bulletins then this will blow again in short order.

Both 1200uf capacitors should be replaced at the same time.

It's not an ideal DIY repair.

edit: later versions of the boards have a modified board with the doubler replaced by a wide-range single standard SMPSU. These have the position for the voltage doubler parts but none are fitted.

Edited by kedwardsleisure - 12 September 2021 at 9:00pm
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaspiclg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:14am
Hi Kevin, 
Good morning, thank you very much, i tried to look for the parts, but i am unsuccessful, could you please help me where to buy this part.
Cheers.
Cesar
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:24am
RS normally stock them but it looks like they're subject to the global component crisis:

rs IGBT

The trade press are generally talking about late 2022 before the component market gets back to normal.

Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote legaspiclg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:39am
Hi Kevin, 
Its me again, this said speaker is already in the Philippines, thats why it is very hard for me to source the parts and send it to there, I need your help as well as i have in here another JBL 515XT which is NO POWER, i will not send it to the Philippines unless it is fully working, just want to ask you if you accept repair on my speaker, and my friend ask me the location of the voltage doubler that needs removing.
Thank you very much
Cesar

Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kedwardsleisure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 September 2021 at 10:52pm
Quote my friend ask me the location of the voltage doubler

I hate to say it but if he needs to ask this sort of question then for everyone's safety he's best leaving the repair to an expert.
Kevin

North Staffordshire

Post Reply Post Reply