Speakerplans.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LMS upgrade from dbx driverack 260

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 10:31am
It's a sad state of affairs that someone like Martinsson can't afford a nice dsp, Then, he can continue to design great speakers. He gave the world the tham and the roar for gods sake.. Shouldn't someone start a crowd funding page to get him what he wants. Wish I was savvy enough. I would pay even though I have none of his designs. 
Respect sir.
smitske96 View Drop Down
Young Croc
Young Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smitske96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 11:13am
I would go with the thomann unit in that case. Heard good things about them, and do have the FIR option. You could always experiment with it, or just leave it alone. Also pretty confident that they have an edge in sound quality over the DR260. Other option could be a amp with build in DSP. Powersoft T-series is quite affordable for pro audio standards.
snowflake View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snowflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

I would go with the thomann unit in that case. Heard good things about them, and do have the FIR option. You could always experiment with it, or just leave it alone. Also pretty confident that they have an edge in sound quality over the DR260. Other option could be a amp with build in DSP. Powersoft T-series is quite affordable for pro audio standards.

I don't know an exact price but for less than £5K you could get an Ottocanali 8K4 DSP - eight channels of DSP plus 8*1000W into 4homs.
martinsson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote martinsson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 5:55pm
This is the very definition of a luxury problem, I still have the driverack 260 remember, a decent IIR based unit that although being slightly old still does the job very well, so thanks for the kind words doller, but I will still manage without FIR and aes/ebu inputs.

One clould do alot worse, and I bet there are still alot old dr260's out there providing magic for lots of people, both in the crowd and behind the consoles, so no worries, its not all about the tools you use, its knowing how to use them.

The dsp amp track, though tempting, seems even more expensive given that i still have two lab1600, and the rare lab1500 beast at my disposal, and i'm very happy with them,  feels like old (and they sure are old) friends.

Swedish Pro-fi diy-nerd - http://www.martinsson.cc/blog/
MarjanM View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarjanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2021 at 11:18pm
PM me.
Marjan Milosevic
MM-Acoustics
www.mm-acoustics.com
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MM-Acoustics/608901282527713
epicure View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote epicure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2021 at 10:18am
Hello everyone,

I am new on this forum.

Reading this thread made me think about our installation. We have a dbx Driverack PA2 at our small club. I am curious how big the impact of upgrading Martinsson's dbx 260 or our Driverack 2 to the Dynacord or Linea ASC 48 would be on sound quality? It is difficult to get a demo on our end of the world for something like the Linea. We would have to buy and ship from Europe...

Regards,

Andreas
kipman725 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kipman725 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2021 at 5:18pm
Check out installation brands like symetrix, biamp, qsc and then camp ebay obsessively for one to come up at an OK price.  You will probably have to import from USA.
bob4 View Drop Down
Old Croc
Old Croc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2021 at 8:22am
Originally posted by smitske96 smitske96 wrote:

I've also heard good things about the t.racks fir dsp 408.

The FIR side needs a bit of fiddling to get going, an online reviewer succeeded only importing very simple filters, but failed to import coefficients created with rePhase.

On the other hand I witnessed some people doing FIR filter optimization  of a midtop, based on extensive rotating table measurements, simulating and generating the coefficients in vituixcad, then successfully uploading to the 408. 

It can be done.

I'm surprised there is so little discussion going on about the 408..... must be Corona?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12